Need To Stop The Barking

When banjo is outside while we are at work he just does not stop barking. It is a horrible shrill bark that seems to be at nothing.

Becuase of it he was left inside throughout the day.

Now that we have Luda they can not both be left inside for 10 hours so he has to stop the barking and get used to the yard.

I have to work so can not stay at home and squirt him over the fence every time he barks.

Please tell me the most effective way to stop this barking.

He isn't bored. He has tons of toys.

I have blocked off any vision of the road.

If it is seperation anxiety how do I fix it?

His kennel is by the back door.

I have had it! what is the most effective collar to use please?

Thank you

You shouldn't assume the dog isn't bored because it has a lot of toys, in-fact dogs who have heaps of toys don't generally value them, it's better to have 2-3 toys out per day and rotate them.

If it's seperation anxiety then technically the dog would be doing it inside the house as well but just might not be as audable as it would be whilst outside.

Also if it's seperation anxiety then bark collars aren't the best for that type of stress....if you can avoid that route.

Have you considered getting in a Behaviorist to get their opinion on why the dog is barking?

Although just from reading what you have typed, it seems the dog has been getting attention (regardless of whether it is negative) and what it wnats (inside) when it has barked so it may be just doing what works.

No I cant install a dog door as it is a rental.

SAS I do only leave a few out at a time.

I also bougth heaps of the treat balls which he isnt interested in.

I tried hiding his food around the yard and in the long grass. He doesnt care about that.

He has this new dog to play with.

We recorded him while he was inside and while he did a few barks it was nothing like outside. And when he did barks it looked like it was as he had heard something. Thats what makes me think its fear. Outside there are lots of noises so he just barks at them all.

Yeah bahavorist is probably the way to go.

He never barked and got let inside. He had to stick it out all day as we were at work.

He simply didnt go out in the morning...

You've mentioned what you supply to your dogs in an endeavour to mentally stimulate them, but what interactions do you actually share with them and for how long, on a daily basis, that would provide this? (eg training; leadership; etc).

There are doggy doors that fit into sliding glass doorways that don't need wall reconstruction. Google "Pig in Mud". By itself, it won't fix boredom issues, if boredom issues exist. But it is something that might assist when the actual 'cause' of the problem can be addressed, or at least in the meanwhile so that neighbourhood relations don't become frayed.

Edited by Erny

K9: Depending on the severity of the problem, I might suggest you take action by means of a good Anti Bark Collar, I would also either speak to the neighbours and let them know your working on it or drop them a note perhaps.

The most effective Anti Bark collar on the market in all our tests is the YS300.

They get a 30-45 minute walk every day.

We go to training on sundays.

Every day there is games with fetch/ tug.

Unfortunately we dont have sliding glass doors.

Would it be boredom if the minute we drive away it begins?

Not as likely (taking into account also the other things that you do with them each day). Possibly a separation related behaviour. Possibly eliciting/demanding your return. Possibly a ritual that' become habit.

I'd be looking into leadership and where your dogs think they fit in the heirarchy order (I always check on that pretty much as a matter of course as IMO it sets the foundation to many things). And quite possibly utilising the anti-bark. I agree with K9Pro that speaking with your neighbours is a constructive approach - I'm sure they'll be relieved to know you're working on the problem and that they don't feel it is a "forever" thing for which their only alternative is reporting to Council. People don't generally feel good either about approaching Council or approaching owners to complain, but offering them an invitation to let you know if/when there is an issue tends to release inhibitive tensions in neighbourhood relations.

I prefer to know that a trainer/behaviourist has visited the dog; assessed its behaviour and health as being suitable for electronic anti-bark use; witnessed the dog's response to ensure correct stim setting; and also to show and explain use to the owner; .... before a corrective collar is utilised. I also like to think that the trainer/behaviourist provides follow-up support to ensure the method is working and that all is well with the dog, the owners and of course, the world :laugh:.

ETA: I also agree with K9Pro regarding the anti-bark collar type recommendation. The electronic anti-bark collars I have used to assist clients with excessive barking issues is the Dogtra YS300. I like this one for the fact that YOU set the level to suit the dog. I'm not keen on the idea of the levels ramping up according to how many times the dog barks. I used to fuss around with the spray collars before going to the electronic anti-bark collars, but found that they were not nearly as effective. It proved much more efficient all round to move straight to the electronic anti-bark, and as I said, the level can be set so that the minimum but effective level stim is applied.

Edited by Erny

Barking is communication. If you can find out what the dog is communicating then you can perhaps address the underlying problem rather than the barking, which is a symptom. If the dog is barking out of fear or anxiety, punishment may potentially make it worse.

Sounds likely to be anxiety to me. Or, because the dog has spent a lot of time inside, a lot of outside stimuli are different and worth barking at. Is it a monotonous bark, or does it change in pitch or frequency?

There are a bunch of behaviours used to diagnose separation anxiety versus nuisance or boredom barking, or overstimulation. The treatment for each is generally different, so if you don't know why the dog is barking all you can do is treat the barking and hope the dog doesn't get habituated to whatever you decide to use to control the barking. I vote get the dog assessed by a good behaviourist for an accurate diagnosis. I'd be going with a vet behaviourist.

jazawayaya

If you go the K9 pro anti bark collar - don't tell anyone - because it will get you banned from SA dog clubs among other things.

Can you have one dog inside and one dog outside while you're at work? What happens on the weekend - have you shut banjo outside and seen how he behaves? I'm currently teaching my dog that it's not ok to bark at the cats that climb the neighbour's trees and look over our fence at her. But it mostly involves distracting her and giving her something else to do or rewarding her when she looks at the cats but doesn't bark.

I know you have a new dog club now - have you discussed the problem with the instructors there - they might have some ideas.

But for now, I think you might have to crate Banjo inside while you're at work. And on the weekend you can spend more time teaching him what it's ok to bark at and what it isn't.

K9: I agree that with any behaviour problem, seeking professional help is always a good idea so I wouldnt strike that off as a waste of time either, and whilst barking is communication, most times it is assumed that the reason for communication has been understood, it isnt an exact science.

Separation Anxiety is the most over diagnosed condition in dogs, things like dog doors are good (rarely have any positive effect on SA though) if you want the dog inside, but if you dont or cant they obviously are no solution.

I might suggest a dog that is quiet inside the home may not be high on the list when it comes to the probability of Separation Anxiety, but it might be an idea to start to demonstrate to the dog that if your at home, this does not mean the dogs will be inside all the time, teach them it is ok to be outside, when your inside (if you havent).

Any dog club that bans you for a tool you use on your dog in your home, would be a place I would give a wide birth, what happens if the club gets sponsored by a dog food company, will it be use "X" brand or your banned? :laugh:

The dogs welfare in every case is one of the most importamt factors, which is why I recommended speak to the neighbours, having sedatives and poisons thrown over fences is far from uncommon in barking dog cases.

There are a number of Anti Bark devices and collar types that all have ways to deter barking, from boredom buster style toys, to timed toy releasers to Ultra Sonic (distractionary) devices that can even be positioned around the home, all of these in some way can reduce the barking to some degree, but the answer to your question of which collar is the best was the YS300.

Keep in mind also that I am not saying your dog needs a bark collar, doesnt have Separation Anxiety or anything else, as a professional I am making no diagnosis here as I havent seen your dog.

Edited by K9Pro

jazawayaya

If you go the K9 pro anti bark collar - don't tell anyone - because it will get you banned from SA dog clubs among other things.

Can you have one dog inside and one dog outside while you're at work? What happens on the weekend - have you shut banjo outside and seen how he behaves? I'm currently teaching my dog that it's not ok to bark at the cats that climb the neighbour's trees and look over our fence at her. But it mostly involves distracting her and giving her something else to do or rewarding her when she looks at the cats but doesn't bark.

I know you have a new dog club now - have you discussed the problem with the instructors there - they might have some ideas.

But for now, I think you might have to crate Banjo inside while you're at work. And on the weekend you can spend more time teaching him what it's ok to bark at and what it isn't.

A couple things here....

Dog Clubs teach obedience commands to owners to teach their dogs they CANNOT ban you from doing certain things in your own home.

In addition Obedience Instructors most of the time wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to cure barking because they teach obedience commands - they are not Behaviourists.

Thanks everyone for all your replies.

I really dont want to use a shock collar and that has to be the very, very last resort.

I will work on it heaps on weekends and hopefully banjo and luda will settle in together.

If it persists I will get a behavourist in.

In the meantime if I have to then Banjo will stay in and Luda out I guess.

I know it will work out. Especially with more obedience lessons.

When it warms up I will take them for their walk in the mornings before work rather then the evenings and see if that helps as well.

Luckily the neighbours are pretty good with it and I will let them know we are working on it.

I have used citronella collars on 2 dogs now with success, they are quite cheap now , just recently got one off ebay for $89- . I had a dog that had issues as well and with the collar i used homeopet anxiety drops[bought from vet] and the combo of both of these worked well for him, good luck