Worming..confused A Bit

I'm a bit confused about a recent incident with worming, maybe someone can shed some light on this for me please.

I have two dogs, 10mo cocker and 14 yo dachshund. They are both wormed with Sentinel Spectrum at the start of each month. On the 30th July, I had a foster dog arrive, a gorgeous dachshund. She wasnt eating that much for the first couple of days, I waited until she was eating properly than I wormed all three dogs on the 2nd Aug, which was two Mondays ago. Than, on Monday just gone (a week later) I was out picking up poops, and noticed my cockers poop looking slimy, and I noticed what I suspect to be a round worm alive and wriggling. How can this be after only a week being wormed? My yard is kept very clean of poops, picked up every day. I had also checked my new fosters poop before and after worming, I could see no evidence of worms there.

I phoned Sentinel, and was advised to worm them again. I wormed my cocker again, but this time I used Excelpet from the supermarket, as I didnt want my boy to be doubled up on the heartworm and flea component.

Doesnt worming offer any protection at all, or does it only kill current worms and they can pick up the eggs/larvae again within days?? :thumbsup:

Thanks..

Anna