Teaching New Skills To Dogs - Does The Dog Enjoy Having The New Skill?

This is more a ramble than a topic, warning in advance. :laugh:

So, I taught my dog to walk backwards a little while ago. Took her a few days to cotton on to it. When she finally got it, she spent the next few weeks regularly offering the behaviour in all sorts of bizarre situations, until the novelty wore off. It was like she was taking every opportunity to try out her new skill. I'd ask her to leave the room, for example - an everyday command she knows well - and she'd leave the room by walking backwards out the door. :laugh: Or I'd ask her to get into her crate, and she'd walk backwards into it.

She doesn't ever offer to do any other new tricks at random times. I got the distinct impression that she did not actually known how to walk backwards before I taught her, and now that she knew how, she was rather impressed by this handy new skill & wanted to try it out at every opportunity.

So I guess my question is, do you think it's possible for the dog to enjoy practicing a new skill for its own sake? Or is there is another explanation for my dog being so keen to rehearse her new trick? Does anyone else have a dog who has done this type of thing?

That's a really good question, I wish I knew the answer for sure. I'm not convinced that it is totally about being proud or showing off the new skill as much as it might be the most recent and intense reward history.

I know with greener dogs who have been drilled for a week on a piece of agility equipment it is common for them to seek out that piece of equipment on a course the following weekend and be proudly sitting at the end of it waiting for a reward. I wonder if that is something similar?

Is this the same dog that barks under the bed covers? I think I love your dog, she is funny. :laugh:

Mmm... I've never experienced this to the extent you are describing. My girl does love her box, so any opportunity, she is on it and ready to go but I think she sees it as a toy. If she sees her ball/tug/rabbit/frisbee, she'll want to play, if she sees her box, she'll want to play. She will occasionally offer behaviours, but none more so than others. Certainly not backing into her crate or out of the room! :laugh:

That's a really good question, I wish I knew the answer for sure. I'm not convinced that it is totally about being proud or showing off the new skill as much as it might be the most recent and intense reward history.

I would be thinking along the same lines too. And I would think that the things they find most fun, are things we also find the most fun, whether we realise or not, which leads to more rehearsal.

I reckon it's just something that you've rewarded a lot, she has a good history of success with getting rewards for that behaviour so she offers it.

Zee's the same with nose touches/bobs - it's something I rewarded a lot when I weaned the target and she teams it with a lot of things that I've never asked for.

I know with greener dogs who have been drilled for a week on a piece of agility equipment it is common for them to seek out that piece of equipment on a course the following weekend and be proudly sitting at the end of it waiting for a reward. I wonder if that is something similar?

I was just thinking the same thing!

I do think there are some things that our dogs genuinely like doing, though. I trained Daisy to do the 'European' left about turn (I think that's what it's called) instead of the around the back one months and months ago, even now when we do it even just in a normal heel pattern she gets excited and does a little prancey thing after the turn, and if she's a lacking a bit of drive it will ramp her right back up again :laugh: I don't know why she likes it so much, it is certainly not the most recently rewarded 'skill' I've trained or practiced.

I wondered about that too, and can't say for sure that you're wrong. But if that is the answer, then why does she not spontaneously demonstrate any of her other new tricks? She must have been taught 50 different tricks since I got her, and each were heavily reinforced while I was teaching them. But it's only ever been this one that she's decided to spontaneously rehearse & try out in new situations & make up new variations for (such as into/out of the crate).

LOL Emm, yes, it's the same dog. :laugh:

My first reaction is to agree with everyone else. My second thought though- is why then do they only do this with some behaviours? Why not every behaviour we teach and heavily reinforce? Or do they but we don't take as much notice with other things..? Do dogs that free shape offer more behaviours than those who have been taught/ told and reinforced? Why would that be different if both different dogs are reinforced in the same way?

I think the answer lies somewhere with the development of independent thought, reward history AND liking particular behaviours OR liking our response to particular behaviours. I know i smile more when Gilbert offers me a spin or flip to heel than when he offers a drop..

I don't think anyone could say they offer exactly the same behaviour, rewards, time input for every behaviour they teach. Some stuff is just more fun for us to teach a dog and of course the dog is going to pick that up. Some stuff is just more fun for the dog (agility tunnels anyone?). Some more complicated or difficult behaviours have a huge sense of acheivement associated with it and once again the enthusiasm becomes infectious.

I think there can be a sense of achievement. I taught Erik to catch a ball on the full one day and the drive that little guy had to just get it right was something to behold. Once he realised what the aim was, I would toss the ball and if he missed it he would actually make a little cross grunting sound, grab it and spit it out at me. It was for all the world like he was going "Again! I'll get it this time, dammit." When he finally did get it he was so freaking proud of himself he strutted around the place, head and tail high, just parading. For the next few weeks he'd go mental if I picked up a ball and woe betide anyone who got in his way. He still gets pretty excited if I pick up his ball, but he has calmed down a little. He likes to learn new things and tends to be in love with the latest thing he's learnt provided he thinks it's fun. I have rewarded the heck out of sit-stays with heaps of jackpots and do you think he likes them yet? No. He would rather be doing an active behaviour, thank you.

Kivi got excited about jumping up for a high hand target when I taught him that. Again, active behaviour. He would jump up and down in front of me as though he were on a trampoline. I didn't reward any jumping without a cue, so he settled down after a bit.

I have rewarded the heck out of sit-stays with heaps of jackpots and do you think he likes them yet? No. He would rather be doing an active behaviour, thank you.

Perhaps it's a combination of several things, then - a strong reward history (either actual rewards or just an amused looking owner), and the dog finding the skill intrinsically reinforcing (like the active behaviours you describe).

It was just interesting to me that I'd never seen her walk backwards before I taught her to do so, and now she does so regularly - even though it's never purposefully rewarded outside training sessions. I have no idea why walking backwards is rewarding, but I guess it must be so. Perhaps she merely finds it useful, and that is enough reward.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!

I know with my boy the behaviours i have free shaped are stronger and tend to be in his repertoire of offered behaviours along with the ones i am most excited and i guess smiley about.

If i taught a sit stay i am sure i wouldnt be very excited but if my dog stood up on his hind legs for a few seconds (i really need to try that one) or walked backwards for the first time i would be over the moon and he would definately know about it.

I think some dogs like doing somethings better than others (they are all bred for different things) and some things stick in a dogs head better than others but it might be the mixture of treats and smiley happy praise that really motivates them :dancingelephant:

This is more a ramble than a topic, warning in advance. :dancingelephant:

So, I taught my dog to walk backwards a little while ago. Took her a few days to cotton on to it. When she finally got it, she spent the next few weeks regularly offering the behaviour in all sorts of bizarre situations, until the novelty wore off. It was like she was taking every opportunity to try out her new skill. I'd ask her to leave the room, for example - an everyday command she knows well - and she'd leave the room by walking backwards out the door. :happydance: Or I'd ask her to get into her crate, and she'd walk backwards into it.

I thought my dog was the only one that did this! Apparently "get out" now means "walk out of the room backwards". That's the only time he does it though, unless I give him the "back" command or walk into him.

My boy is a thinker and we always have to be teaching him something new and he offers it alot, we taught him to shut cupboards and doors and draws as one example and he'll offer that behaviour even when you have a hand in a draw or are standing in a doorway - doesn't always benefit the human LOL

t