Purchasing A Puppy

Dju

I just called my breeder to ask them about this and also expressed my interest in showing the dog one day and she said I'd get a show-grade puppy from her then... but what if the show grade puppy isn't one that best matches me personality-wise?? :confused: Will I get an ultimatum--"this pup is best for showing but this other one is best for your lifestyle, CHOOSE NOW!!" or will she forgo one for the other? :confused: Gosh maybe I should stop worrying about this.

I have no doubt about the temperaments of the dogs anyways, I guess, but I have been fretting about which pup will end up with me--I'll be living with it for fifteen years, it seems like a very important thing to be clear on!

Stop stressing. It'll all work out for the best.. promise. My boy was the only boy in the litter, so I didn't get an option, but he is just a perfect fit for us.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stop stressing. It'll all work out for the best.. promise. My boy was the only boy in the litter, so I didn't get an option, but he is just a perfect fit for us.
You're probably right :D I just got a text from her and have the best news--instead of having to fly the pup up to QLD, she'll be bringing him up with her so that she can compete in a show in QLD!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: I'll probably be able to meet the mom and dad face-to-face too!

Your breeder sounds great, Djubre!

Oh I would not be able to handle the pressure of that, everytime my dog acted up what if I would wonder "Would this situation be different if I chose the other one I wanted??"

I had that exact thought whilst in the research stage. Now I'm forever saying how lucky we were to get what clearly must be the best dog of the litter. I'm sure it's like the parent thing and all the other owners think their puppy's the best, but there are some days when I'm quite certain that none of the other 9 are as completely wonderful as my boy :eek:

Your breeder sounds great, Djubre!
Oh I would not be able to handle the pressure of that, everytime my dog acted up what if I would wonder "Would this situation be different if I chose the other one I wanted??"

I had that exact thought whilst in the research stage. Now I'm forever saying how lucky we were to get what clearly must be the best dog of the litter. I'm sure it's like the parent thing and all the other owners think their puppy's the best, but there are some days when I'm quite certain that none of the other 9 are as completely wonderful as my boy :D

I think so too, I'm so lucky to have found her! We chatted up a storm today, and for over an hour we were both like Vallhund-obsessed little girls, going ballistic to each other over the litter that's due a month away. I feel like I've found my soulmate, she's as enthusiastic as I am :eek: :eek:

I think James is very handsome :o I'm pretty sure that with great parents and great raising, all puppies in that litter should grow up to be wonderful. Of course, owner input is important too, you gotta put in the miles to get the perfect dog for you, right? :eek:

Our breeder picked our pup for us - we are first time owners of this breed and were happy to utilise her knowledge and experience - she knew about our life style and we had spoken several times on the phone - she guided us in our choices as she knew the pups well - we asked for a smoochy dog and that's exactly what we have - a big smoochy boofer :dancingelephant:

I have three border collie girls and I did not pick any of them. The older two I did meet the day I got them (picked them up) so I guess if I really didn't like them I coudl have said no (well the middle girl I would have said no as she was a bit shy but took Husband with me and he said soooo cute yesyes) but my youngest Gael came on a plane to me :dancingelephant: I figure the breeder knows the pups far better than I would, I just tell them what i am looking for and that I want a girl. Well with Gael I did say I wanted a black tri girl with classical markings and got Gael who is blue/white and non-traditional markings and perfect for me in every way...

Oh boy, you're getting a Vall puppy! :laugh: I got a Vall puppy from Ausled just over a year ago. I did not think we were going to get a choice as there were only three puppies and we were last on the list, but then we ended up getting a choice between the two boys after all. The breeder described their temperaments and sent us photos. I was choosing between a little fiesty pup with the devil in him and a bigger, more pliable pup. I went with the tiger, because I'm a sucker for fiesty animals and the breeder thought he would make an exceptional clicker dog. She was right! He is an exceptional clicker dog. I don't ever even wonder if we got the right boy for us. He can be a handful, and there are times when I'm fed up with him, but we love him anyway and he has taught us a lot. I think that you pick a breed with the best case and worst case scenario in mind. You may decide you want a more mellow pup or a more fiesty pup, but you should be prepared if you end up with the opposite of what you were hoping for. So I wouldn't pick a breed if there was a large portion of individuals in that breed that I didn't think I could cope with. I pick a breed that I think will suit me even if I get an extreme example of the breed. Does that make sense?

When we were getting Erik we were considering getting a Shiba Inu instead, but decided we weren't sure if we could handle how busy they can be. We knew that Valls can also be busy, but expected them to settle when we were settled. As it turns out, I think that Erik is a particularly busy Vallhund. You know, we learnt to cope. :rofl: I think we would have been fine with a Shiba, though. ;) But my point is, even if you don't get exactly what you were hoping for, you love them anyway and sometimes find out that what you thought you wanted isn't that important after all. Erik is an absolute snuggle fiend. We never thought we were signing up for a snuggle bum, but we are pretty happy to get one anyway. :)

I've met Ausvarg and her dogs and she's totally fabulous. :) I'd get a puppy off her in a second. Very happy with Ausled as well, and are finally getting to visit them soon. :laugh: Be sure to drop over to the Spitz breeds thread. Ausvarg and Ausled both post there, and I'm always talking about Erik. :)

Edited by corvus

Oh boy, you're getting a Vall puppy! :laugh: I got a Vall puppy from Ausled just over a year ago. I did not think we were going to get a choice as there were only three puppies and we were last on the list, but then we ended up getting a choice between the two boys after all. The breeder described their temperaments and sent us photos. I was choosing between a little fiesty pup with the devil in him and a bigger, more pliable pup. I went with the tiger, because I'm a sucker for fiesty animals and the breeder thought he would make an exceptional clicker dog. She was right! He is an exceptional clicker dog. I don't ever even wonder if we got the right boy for us. He can be a handful, and there are times when I'm fed up with him, but we love him anyway and he has taught us a lot. I think that you pick a breed with the best case and worst case scenario in mind. You may decide you want a more mellow pup or a more fiesty pup, but you should be prepared if you end up with the opposite of what you were hoping for. So I wouldn't pick a breed if there was a large portion of individuals in that breed that I didn't think I could cope with. I pick a breed that I think will suit me even if I get an extreme example of the breed. Does that make sense?

When we were getting Erik we were considering getting a Shiba Inu instead, but decided we weren't sure if we could handle how busy they can be. We knew that Valls can also be busy, but expected them to settle when we were settled. As it turns out, I think that Erik is a particularly busy Vallhund. You know, we learnt to cope. :rofl: I think we would have been fine with a Shiba, though. ;) But my point is, even if you don't get exactly what you were hoping for, you love them anyway and sometimes find out that what you thought you wanted isn't that important after all. Erik is an absolute snuggle fiend. We never thought we were signing up for a snuggle bum, but we are pretty happy to get one anyway. :rofl:

I've met Ausvarg and her dogs and she's totally fabulous. ;) I'd get a puppy off her in a second. Very happy with Ausled as well, and are finally getting to visit them soon. :D Be sure to drop over to the Spitz breeds thread. Ausvarg and Ausled both post there, and I'm always talking about Erik. ;)

I know, I'm so delighted!! :eek: I know about Ausled (and a lot of other breeders, I've been to all their websites... lol...), and hear she's the best breeder in Australia!

(Btw, what is a clicker dog??) I don't think I'd have the guts to choose.. at the moment, she's getting us a show pup, but I hope it's also a pup that matches my personality as well, though I'm not sure if that's a possibility, now that I'm getting the puppy based on prettiness and not necessarily personality haha. Still, I've heard that all SVs are quite snuggly, and that's exactly what I want in a dog. A snugglebum when we're at home, with an active playmate when we're out! I do think that I picked the best breed for me though, the personality that Ausvarg's dogs have is just everything I ever want in a dog :)

I'll definitely visit the Spitz thread, if only to post photos of my new puppy when he arrives! :p

(Btw, what is a clicker dog??)

I wanted to clicker train my Vall puppy. You can clicker train any dog, but some are just more creative and quick than others. Erik is extremely fun to clicker train! :D

Still, I've heard that all SVs are quite snuggly, and that's exactly what I want in a dog. A snugglebum when we're at home, with an active playmate when we're out! I do think that I picked the best breed for me though, the personality that Ausvarg's dogs have is just everything I ever want in a dog :p

Haha, that's exactly what Erik is. He is currently sleeping in his favourite spot on my legs on the couch after tearing around playing contact sports with great danes this afternoon. He is unstoppable! Plays with the big boys and pretty bold and fearless. Valls are so spunky. :laugh: His cuddles are about as extreme as everything he does. Never met a dog that is so cuddly. He doesn't just sit on you or with you. He snuggles into your arms and tucks his head in against your neck and drapes front paws over your shoulders. He does it about once or twice a day, which is just right for me. :eek: I'm sure you will be happy with any Vallhund. They are all different, but most I've met have been similar enough in their behaviour to be able to see all the little Vallhund things they all do. They are SO SMART!

(Btw, what is a clicker dog??)

I wanted to clicker train my Vall puppy. You can clicker train any dog, but some are just more creative and quick than others. Erik is extremely fun to clicker train! :rofl:

Still, I've heard that all SVs are quite snuggly, and that's exactly what I want in a dog. A snugglebum when we're at home, with an active playmate when we're out! I do think that I picked the best breed for me though, the personality that Ausvarg's dogs have is just everything I ever want in a dog ;)

Haha, that's exactly what Erik is. He is currently sleeping in his favourite spot on my legs on the couch after tearing around playing contact sports with great danes this afternoon. He is unstoppable! Plays with the big boys and pretty bold and fearless. Valls are so spunky. ;) His cuddles are about as extreme as everything he does. Never met a dog that is so cuddly. He doesn't just sit on you or with you. He snuggles into your arms and tucks his head in against your neck and drapes front paws over your shoulders. He does it about once or twice a day, which is just right for me. :) I'm sure you will be happy with any Vallhund. They are all different, but most I've met have been similar enough in their behaviour to be able to see all the little Vallhund things they all do. They are SO SMART!

Oh, clicker training, yeah! The puppy preschool I want to go to asks all owners to bring a clicker along to classes so I guess he'll have to be good at clicker training! :D I am so excited about puppy preschool, I've been waiting for the chance to own and love a dog since I was 10, and I'm finally old enough to be able to afford owning one :rofl:

Your relationship with your dog sounds so sweet! As if I wasn't impatient enough to get my puppy, now you're gonna drive me nuts with the lovely images in my head :laugh::eek:

Smart, are they smarter than Kelpies? :p My dad is the biggest Kelpie-fanboy ever and I need to knock him onto the Vallhund team somehow!

I have always chosen the puppies for the new families according to which one is best suited for their circumstances and their needs.

Everyone has always been very happy with my choice for them.

A good breeder is the one who knows the puppies best so its always the best option.

First time I saw Howie in the flesh was when he arrived in his crate at the airline freight terminal. I'd had photos beforehand though.

His breeders did right by me and I expect the next pup I get will be from the same breeders and chosen by them again. :)

I have always chosen the puppies for the new families according to which one is best suited for their circumstances and their needs.

A good breeder is the one who knows the puppies best so its always the best option.

What about show puppies then? :) Do you still attempt to match them up or is it a case of just picking the best-looking dog with no regard to any other factor? I was a bit worried with how that would go; I want to show my boy when I get him but I don't want to forgo the perfect puppy for me for nothing but looks :o

@Poodlefan: It's nice that you have a trusted breeder already, I've been reading all these horror stories on DOL about unethical breeders and how just because they're listed on DOL it doesn't mean they're any good. :laugh: Scared me for a bit!

What about show puppies then? :laugh: Do you still attempt to match them up or is it a case of just picking the best-looking dog with no regard to any other factor? I was a bit worried with how that would go; I want to show my boy when I get him but I don't want to forgo the perfect puppy for me for nothing but looks :)

@Poodlefan: It's nice that you have a trusted breeder already, I've been reading all these horror stories on DOL about unethical breeders and how just because they're listed on DOL it doesn't mean they're any good. :o Scared me for a bit!

There is way more to a good show dog than just looks Djubre - you need a sound, confident pup with a degree of trainability regardless of breed.

I found Howie's breeder by word of mouth and got a good recommendation from another breeder. Its how I'd recommend ANYONE find the right breeder :)

There is way more to a good show dog than just looks Djubre - you need a sound, confident pup with a degree of trainability regardless of breed.

I found Howie's breeder by word of mouth and got a good recommendation from another breeder. Its how I'd recommend ANYONE find the right breeder :)

But could he still be a snugglebum? :laugh: I have no bigger wish in the world than to end up with a total snugglebum who prefers my arms more than any ball in the world. :)

There's not a lot of mouths around me who could pass on info about a breeder (all my friends bought their pets from shops, RSPCA, or a friend of the family's accidental litter), and I actually joined this website after I found myself the perfect breeder for me :) There was only a few Vall puppy listings anyways, and Cassie just struck a good cord with me from the start! Maybe I can be others' words of mouth one day then? :o

I first saw Maxey and his brother from two fuzzy pictures and allowed the breeder to pick the one most affectionate and loving for me. He came out of the crate at the airport, jumped into my arms and I knew he was mine.

When I later spoke to his breeder about how perfect he is for me, she replied that she knew he was right for me and that I would love him, and my phonecall only confirmed it! So yeah, the breeders tend to know best. :)

The same went for my cat too. He was just purrrfect when I saw him in his airline crate, and attached himself right away to me (I was worried that the feeling might not be mutual as I had his kitten development pictures all the way till he came to me).

I found Howie's breeder by word of mouth and got a good recommendation from another breeder. Its how I'd recommend ANYONE find the right breeder :provoke:

But could he still be a snugglebum? :hug: I have no bigger wish in the world than to end up with a total snugglebum who prefers my arms more than any ball in the world. ;)

There's not a lot of mouths around me who could pass on info about a breeder (all my friends bought their pets from shops, RSPCA, or a friend of the family's accidental litter), and I actually joined this website after I found myself the perfect breeder for me :) There was only a few Vall puppy listings anyways, and Cassie just struck a good cord with me from the start! Maybe I can be others' words of mouth one day then? :(

Not sure I'd describe Howie as a "snugglebum" but he's an affectionate boy. I think a lot of how dogs interact with us is inculcated by us anyway.

We are in country WA, breeder was in Qld, no choice but to rely on her choosing the right puppy for us. She asked us lots of questions and we had several phone conversations, did not even know if we were going to get a boy or a girl right up until a week before she was put on the plane. She couldnt have matched us better, we adore her and she is perfect for us and our lifestyle :hug:

Good luck with your puppy :provoke:

But could he still be a snugglebum? :provoke: I have no bigger wish in the world than to end up with a total snugglebum who prefers my arms more than any ball in the world. ;)

Like this?

MeandE.jpg

Balls and cuddles are like apples and oranges. Erik loves them both! Which he loves more depends on the situation. He loves nothing more than snuggling in bed with us of a morning, or cuddling up to OH when he comes home from work, or leaping into my arms when I come home. But when we are at the park he has no time for cuddles. Too busy running around. :) Just the way we like it. He does like cuddle games, though. I pick him up and put him on his back and pretend to eat his belly. He squirms and kicks, but if I let him go he's trying to climb into my lap. The moment I put my hands on him he throws himself backwards and I have to catch him and put him down on his back again for more belly tickles. He has thrown himself backwards a few times when no one was ready to catch him. :( Apparently he has a hard head.

It's like having a child. Sometimes he's too busy for cuddles, but sometimes it's his favourite thing. He's a lot of fun to play with, but can be a pest when you can't play with him right now. If he gets bored we have to find him something to do or he gets up to mischief. He gives you these cute, bright looks when he thinks he's done something good, and barks incessantly when he thinks he needs more attention. Most Valls I've met have been pretty cuddly with their own family. OH often says "What will we do when we don't have Erik cuddles anymore? We will surely never find another dog as cuddly as Erik. I've never met one. Have you? Having had the cuddliest dog in the world early, we will be disappointed for the rest of our lives." :hug: You come to love whatever dog you get, I think.

Like this?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/cor...Pets/MeandE.jpg

Balls and cuddles are like apples and oranges. Erik loves them both! Which he loves more depends on the situation. He loves nothing more than snuggling in bed with us of a morning, or cuddling up to OH when he comes home from work, or leaping into my arms when I come home. But when we are at the park he has no time for cuddles. Too busy running around. :) Just the way we like it. He does like cuddle games, though. I pick him up and put him on his back and pretend to eat his belly. He squirms and kicks, but if I let him go he's trying to climb into my lap. The moment I put my hands on him he throws himself backwards and I have to catch him and put him down on his back again for more belly tickles. He has thrown himself backwards a few times when no one was ready to catch him. :rofl: Apparently he has a hard head.

It's like having a child. Sometimes he's too busy for cuddles, but sometimes it's his favourite thing. He's a lot of fun to play with, but can be a pest when you can't play with him right now. If he gets bored we have to find him something to do or he gets up to mischief. He gives you these cute, bright looks when he thinks he's done something good, and barks incessantly when he thinks he needs more attention. Most Valls I've met have been pretty cuddly with their own family. OH often says "What will we do when we don't have Erik cuddles anymore? We will surely never find another dog as cuddly as Erik. I've never met one. Have you? Having had the cuddliest dog in the world early, we will be disappointed for the rest of our lives." ;) You come to love whatever dog you get, I think.

That is the cutest thing ever, he looks like he adores you a lot and you him too :laugh: I guess I'm getting a bit anxious because I have chickens at home and I just want to cuddle and pet them haha! Juzni likes the pets and she'll be happy to sit around for a while, but some of my chooks run for their lives when they see me because they haaaate any form of human interaction lol. I guess it's a bit weird I'm comparing chickens to doggies. ;) But they're all my babies all the same.

The cuddle game sounds fun :laugh: I'm sure I'll love Hugo in any shape and form he's in, and he'll probably be perfect right from the start :p I can't imagine not liking any puppies I get anyways, how can a person dislike a puppy?? :p