Anyone Else's Puppy Scared Of Squeeky Toys

pomchi

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem, my 5 month old is petrified of squeeky toys, if she accidentally steps on one and it squeeks she runs away as fast as she can. she hates the noise, which is a shame because lots of the toys we brought her have squeekers :dancingelephant:

any ideas on getting her over this fear?

Sorry I have no idea how to get your puppy used to squeeky toys. My old dog (RIP) was absolutely petrified of squeeky toys until she was much older and had lost some of her hearing. She then discovered the joys of ripping toys up to get the squeeky bit out. However that isn't much help to you. I do know that there are some toys that have much quieter squeekers such as the Tuffie brand - maybe try one of those?

do you know another dog that is bonkers over them? A little time with a dog that loves squeaky toys usually gets them into it especially when they see how much fun the other dog is having over playing with them :thumbsup:

I might try getting her to play with another dog who likes squeakers, I just have no idea what freaks her out so much about them. we have to hide the squeaky toys in case she grabs one and nearly has a heart attack :)

I saw an episode of the dog whisperer the other day which covered the exact subject. If you have foxtel, I'm sure they'll repeat the episode.

He started out by giving the dog pats with a squeaky toy. He didn't squeak it at first, but he got the dog relaxed with it. Then he progressed from there to having the toy shoved in the dogs collar and let her go about her business. Then he started walking the dog, and squeaking it every so often. Gradually the dog got over the fear of it, and ended up playing with the other dogs and the toys. Its probably better if you watch the episode yourself and see if you think it might help your dog.