Dog Ramp Or Stairs For A Car

Roishana

I have an elderly Mother who has an elderly Golden Retriever. The dog is no longer able to get into the car, and my Mother currently lifts her bottom in. (The dog has been trained to put her feet up, and then "climb" onto the back seat of a Falcon, and into the "boot" area of a small Mazda. There is quite a height difference in the two cars)

However my Mother is about to have a knee replacement, and will not be able to "lift". We have started looking at dog ramps, but to me they look heavy and bulky - given that the ramp needs to be stowed in the car for when this elderly couple get to their destination.

Ideally, I would like a version of this dog stairs, but would want something flexible for both vehicles, and with a much shorter distance between each step.

http://www.petedge.com/product/Home-Kennel...c/406/44452.uts

Has anyone got an suggestions? I am interested in either a manufactured dog ramp or something that can be adapted (eg bike ramp for a trailer), or ideas/plans of what you may have made yourself.

Thanks

Roishana

Have you seen THIS RAMP?

I have one for my Golden Retriever and use it every day.

I won't lie to you and say it's a lightweight item - it does weigh about 10kg but anything that is strong enough to hold 30kg will need to weigh about that.

However, it is easy to use, the fact that it is telescopic means you don't actually lift it out of the car, you just rest one end on the back of the car, and slide the ramp in or out. You then lift it just a little to stow it in your car.

Mine lives in the back of my car so I am not lifting it in and out etc.

It has been a godsend and has saved my back, as well as prevented further injury to the dog who has bad hips and knees.

I bought mine at a local pet supply store and they beat the price that one of their competitors were selling the same ramp for (I think I got it for $250 instead of $300).

I have had my money's worth from this ramp already, just in not risking a back injury, so I consider it money well spent. :scared:

Roishana if you go with the steps idea keep in mind that a dog with some mobility problems might be unable to manage compact steps. I only say this because I bought some stairs off Deals Direct for my old staffy girl so she can get on the bed by herself during the night. She seems to find the steps too close together to be able to use them properly. The ones in my house are obviously wider and she kind of launches herself up them but the steps next to the bed seem too confined and clumsy for her and she gets on the first one but can't get onto the second.

If you are going to spend the money on a ramp I'd suggest seeing if she could try one in the store before committing to it - I can't see my girl using a ramp at all.

Another suggestion is to get a handyman to make some steps for your mum based on some other stairs at home that you know the dog can use. They shouldn't be too expensive to get made.

I considered a ramp but thought my dog wouldnt walk up it , he seemed better with something to step onto

I bought a Cube box from Bunnings ( Target Big W also keep them )

a thick heavy duty plactic box ( people use them for kids toys , ,storage etc )

turned it upside down and can cover it with carpet or non slip matting and he steps up into the car via the "step box "

he is 40 kilo dog and seems to be able to manage that well

it is not heavy and could be placed in the boot of car

yes, I agree, the steps would need to have a very low rise, and quite wide so that it wouldnt be "steep". Ive also had further thoughts and I doubt one set could be made that would suit both heights of the cars, but thank you all for your ideas, Iwill send them on.

Roishana if you go with the steps idea keep in mind that a dog with some mobility problems might be unable to manage compact steps. I only say this because I bought some stairs off Deals Direct for my old staffy girl so she can get on the bed by herself during the night. She seems to find the steps too close together to be able to use them properly. The ones in my house are obviously wider and she kind of launches herself up them but the steps next to the bed seem too confined and clumsy for her and she gets on the first one but can't get onto the second.

If you are going to spend the money on a ramp I'd suggest seeing if she could try one in the store before committing to it - I can't see my girl using a ramp at all.

Another suggestion is to get a handyman to make some steps for your mum based on some other stairs at home that you know the dog can use. They shouldn't be too expensive to get made.

http://www.petclassics.com/Pet-Loader-Step...-stairs.36.html

these dog stairs/step they are adjustable, although again, I just cant see an elderly dog who is already unstable going up steps, getting up these. I think I will abandon the step idea and stick to ramps

Ive also been given a tip on a K mart plastic bike ramp, I'll try and investigate these on the weekend

Google Otto Step and check out their product.

It's a step which slots into a standard towbar fitting and is far easier to store than a ramp or stairs ;)

I got one for my ten year old Newfie (see testimonials on this site) and find it fantastic and it makes it very easy for her to get in and out of the car especially given that she has compressed vertebra and would be otherwise be confined to home :D

Google Otto Step and check out their product.

It's a step which slots into a standard towbar fitting and is far easier to store than a ramp or stairs :D

I got one for my ten year old Newfie (see testimonials on this site) and find it fantastic and it makes it very easy for her to get in and out of the car especially given that she has compressed vertebra and would be otherwise be confined to home :rofl:

I looked at those and while I love the ease of storage for it, my old fella couldn't use one, he has no power in his read end to get the back legs off the ground. It's too high for him to just step onto, he'd have to 'hop' onto it and that is why we use a ramp ;)

It will depend on the dog obviously, as to what will suit best.

Edited by Golden Rules

I remember that Puppy Bars have on their website that they do ramps. Maybe they could make something up that would suit?

I have a plastic ramp that I got from Petstock. It isn't super heavy. My old girl did struggle to walk up it in the end but that was into a 4wd so it was steeper.

Just to add .... the brand I have is Solvit, and there are some currently on ebay.

There is also a folding one and a telescoping one - I prefer the latter as there is less handling or lifting involved.

Solvit Deluxe Telescoping pet ramp

Just found a lightweight one - 5.8kg! ;) HERE...

I have that Solvit ramp. Bought it on ebay a few weeks ago for $159, which was very cheap. Brand new. The seller had six of them.

There's usually another seller who has them for between $199 and $209.

Only problem is my dogs won't use it. :D

Edited by RottyLover01

Just to add .... the brand I have is Solvit, and there are some currently on ebay.

There is also a folding one and a telescoping one - I prefer the latter as there is less handling or lifting involved.

Solvit Deluxe Telescoping pet ramp

Just found a lightweight one - 5.8kg! :champagne:HERE...

I have that Solvit ramp. Bought it on ebay a few weeks ago for $159, which was very cheap. Brand new. The seller had six of them.

There's usually another seller who has them for between $199 and $209.

Only problem is my dogs won't use it. :champagne:

Wow, that is cheap! :champagne:

I had to train my dog to use the ramp. Food, food and more food did it :champagne: Now I just say 'Into the car' and he's up :champagne: