Heartworm Treatment For Puppy

nongming

Hey guys,

Just got my puppy and looks like on the heartworm treatments they all say that the puppy should start taking it at 6 weeks

I purchased one but realised it says it is suitable for puppys 5kg (sorry I don't know what that is in pounds) and up. My 6 week old is only 1.2kgs but I really want it to have heartworm protection as I hear those can be fatal for pups. The one I purchased was the only one that was for small dogs/ puppies. Other ones were for 11kg+ and 20kg+ so those were difinately not for mine.

I was just wandering if this is safe to feed to my puppy. thinking of just dividing it or something.

thanks for any responses =)

Hey guys,

Just got my puppy and looks like on the heartworm treatments they all say that the puppy should start taking it at 6 weeks

I purchased one but realised it says it is suitable for puppys 5kg (sorry I don't know what that is in pounds) and up. My 6 week old is only 1.2kgs but I really want it to have heartworm protection as I hear those can be fatal for pups. The one I purchased was the only one that was for small dogs/ puppies. Other ones were for 11kg+ and 20kg+ so those were difinately not for mine.

I was just wandering if this is safe to feed to my puppy. thinking of just dividing it or something.

thanks for any responses =)

i could be wrong but im sure its okay to start them at 12 weeks old my breeder advise me to start treatment at 11 weeks and that what we did alhough at that age he was very confind to house and yard and paddack so i felt he was safe .

Your puppy is only 6 weeks? :( that's way too young to be taken off its mum. Anyway, I hope it's had its 2, 4, and 6 week worming with Drontal for intestinal worms. I'm not familiar with the heartworming regime for pups, it's changed since mine were little.

Edited by Kirislin

It is not necessary to begin HW treatment till 12 - 16 weeks. The microfilaria which the mosquito injects into the dog, do not mature for 16 weeks, so the pup is perfectly safe if you do not begin till 12 weeks+, and the pup will be better for not having the treatment at 6 or 8 weeks. there is no possibility of the pup getting heartworms.