Would It Be Really Unfair To Get A Puppy, Or Any Dog?

I have 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, D'Artagnan is 20 months and we got him at nearly 13 months and Porthos is nearly 8 months and we got him at 10 weeks. We work full time and knowing that the breed are predominantely companian dogs, we wanted to make sure that they were not alone (as in, 1 on their own). D'Artagnan had around 20 other Dogs at the breeders and was a very nervous, timid dog. The breeders we spoke with had no problem allowing us 2 Dogs/Puppies but agreed one should not be left alone.

We leave the house around 7.30am and Husband gets home around 5.15pm - we may go out again for another hour 1-2 times a week to the gym, besides that the weekly grocery shop (Sat morning) and the odd night out, we are home with them and they are our "focus". Our two sleep in our room, have plenty of snuggle time with us in the mornings and have adapted well to a routine. They know when I am getting them their "Treats" in the morning that it is time for work and they run and jump onto their dog bed in the laundry and sit waiting :D

Whilst it is not ideal - it works for us and they are happy and healthy. D'Artagnan is still a nervous, timid dog to a degree but as long as he has his little buddy - life is good :eek:

Susan

So, you got a puppy and an older dog at the same time from the same breeder? That would be great for both dogs I guess. I have thought that I could get a rescue dog first and later on a puppy. Did they stay together in or outside from the start?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, you got a puppy and an older dog at the same time from the same breeder? That would be great for both dogs I guess. I have thought that I could get a rescue dog first and later on a puppy. Did they stay together in or outside from the start?

We had naively intended to get two puppies but through researching on forums etc we understood that we would need to make sure that if we got a pup that we waited 12 months before getting another... of course, around the same time we were in contact with a breeder who said she may have a solution as she had a 12 month old who she was selling as a pet. He had been intended as a show dog and actually was shown a few times but was very timid and did not enjoy the whole experience. Around 10 months old he was moved from the breeders Daughters house to the breeders house (they both breed/show) and was desexed and sold to a lady who developed an allergy and had a horrific allergic reaction - he was returned to the breeder and was even more timid and nervous.

As for our two, well D'Artagnan did not really like Porthos at first but they slept with eachother from day 1. At first D'Artagnan tried to be as far away from Porthos at night as poss but Porthos just follow Tagnan whereever he went :) Now they will snuggle together sometimes or sleep back to back at others.

Here is a pic of the love D'Artagnan felt for Porthos on their first meeting!! :laugh:

24603_359674213130_708598130_3803258_4354090_n.jpg

Tagnan was growling in this pic, cos Porthos put his paw on him

24603_362190108130_708598130_3810120_3422004_n.jpg

Having 2 is a lot of work but they are always playing and fighting and playing again - they definately have a strong bond.

37535_413256398130_708598130_4825266_7528777_n.jpg

I hope you find a wonderful new friend :o Good on you for giving a rescue dog a new home!

I'm sur eI will but I MUST stop looking at those lovely CAVS of yours. I can't see one of those turning up at the pound. I wish!

They do, unfortunately :laugh: Most often with health problems though. The last one I got out of the pound I had to PTS cause her heart was very bad :laugh:

I hope you find a wonderful new friend :rofl: Good on you for giving a rescue dog a new home!

I'm sur eI will but I MUST stop looking at those lovely CAVS of yours. I can't see one of those turning up at the pound. I wish!

They do, unfortunately :laugh: Most often with health problems though. The last one I got out of the pound I had to PTS cause her heart was very bad :thumbsup:

That must have been heartbreaking. I suspect that's why the poor dog ended up in the pound. Some people just wouldn't want to spend any money on a dog with health problems. I guess it's a risk you take when you adopt any dog. I'll be out looking around the pounds again this weekend, even though it breaks my heart.