Would It Be Really Unfair To Get A Puppy, Or Any Dog?

This is the first time I have posted here but I have spent many hours reading relevant topics and have found many different opinions on the subject of owning a puppy and leaving it alone for long periods of time whilst at work. I have found myself without a dog due to relationship break up but would dearly love another dog in my life. I've adopted a mature cat from the RSPCA that I adore but, she's just not a dog. I would love to buy a puppy, bu would be gone for 10 hrs a day for four days of the week. I've read all about pens and crates and have used them before for my last puppy (cairn terrier) who was only alone for a few hours occasionally as my partner was working from home. Would it be really unkind or would a puppy adapt if left with lots of toys, cozy bed and toilet spot in a good sized area, with plenty of attention and exercise when I'm home? I could probably get some one to feed pup lunch until only needing 2 meals a day or use a Kong. Also, I've read that some breeds are better able to adapt to alone time than others. Is this true? Apologies for the LONG post. Would apprecite any helpful suggestions to make puppy ownership successful and as stress free as possible FOR THE PUPPY.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, welcome.

A lot of people leave their dogs for 10 hours a day and the pup seems fine :laugh: As long as you fulfill their needs (exercise, good diet etc).. then I think you'll be fine :laugh:

Before getting my second dog, my first pup was at home for 9 hours a day (5 days a week).. but I made sure he got his walks in the morning, we have a play session or training session for him so he can get tired. He mostly sleeps through the day though. He has different toys he can play with, plenty of food and water for the day. When I get home from work, we go for another walk and a lot of play sessions. Weekends is all about dog parks, visiting friends houses etc.

I leave the house each morning at 7:30am and get home at 5:30pm. I have two dogs at home by themselves during this time. I actually got the second dog cause I thought the first dog was lonely, best thing I ever did!!!

Before work we go for a quick 20 minute walk aroudn the block. They are allowed into my bedroom which is normally off limits while I put my face on and then I'm off. After work we walk to the park for some off leash running, usually about 45 minutes to an hour. After dinner OH spends about an hour throwing balls and stuffed duck's for the dogs. By about 9pm they are buggered and they slink off to bed.

most weekends are spent at dog parks, obedience clubs and visiting family (dogs are included of course). I think it works well. My dogs are in a routine and they seem to knwo which day is Monday as we all get a little sad! :laugh: As long as the dogs needs are met and time is spent with them before leaving for work and upon arrival home you should be fine. Just be sure to take time off work when you first bring puppy home. I had a month with each dog when they came home.

Some days I am gone 12 to 14 hours but what time I do spend at home ... I spend with my boys.

They have each other for company when I am away, get walked twice a day and playtime with me most days ... and they are always so excited to see me when I do finally get home.

Thank you for the speedy responses. So far I'm really encouraged to believe it could be okay to get a puppy. I was thinking about either a cairn terrier or a CKCS. Any thoughts on how well or otherwise these two fabulous little breeds would cope alone? :laugh:

Hello!

We are away from the house from about 7am until about 5pm and the dogs are fine. We have 2 now but when we did have 1 we thought she was getting lonely and it was a long time to leave her hence the reason we bought her a playmate, although it wasnt easy at first having 2 puppies! A CKCS sounds like a perfect choice! My Mum has a cavalier and she is fine when left alone, most dogs just sleep all day long and as long as you leave enough food and water, some play toys and a big enough area for them to play in pup will be fine. Just make sure you spend lots of time playing once you are home and doing little training exercises to keep the mind busy! Having a dog is wonderful! I come from a real dog orienated family so I would be lost without one!

I'v not met many Cavaliers but they sound like a lovely breed of dog. I adored my cairn terrier who was a stubborn little boy and not too easy to obedience train. But absolutely full of personality. This would be the first puppy I've had whilst living on my own in a smallish unit with a SMALL and boring backyard. I have one 10 month old grandchild and another due in November so really need to think carefully about the puppy I get. Used to have German Shepherds in the good old days of big yard and they were wonderful with my chidren (always supervised and obedience trained) I've looked at all the rescue sites and my heart breaks when I see so many dumped animals. I really would prefer a puppy with known breeding and a reputable breeder to help with advice specific to the puppy. There seem to be a LOT of Cavaliers available. How do you choose which one to discuss puppy ownership with. Do many breeders refuse to sell to people like myself who are at work for longish hours? I have read that this may happen.

I have a Cav and she spends about 6 to 7 hours a day alone... usually. She has done this from the very first day I bought her home. When Hubby isn't away, he can be in and out all day, but when he is away, I am at work and she is home alone. I start work in the afternoons, so in the mornings we usually go for a nice long walk, do some training at home and she generally potters about. I am pretty sure she sleeps most of the time I am away. She is used to the routine.

When I come home at night, she is bright eyed and bushy tailed! We do some concentrated obedience work most nights before bed, as I need to wear her out again for her to be sleepy! But she is a great little chum! I wouldn't trade her now. I wanted a companion dog to keep me company while Hubby is away and she does that beautifully. All she wants to do is climb in my lap!

I only have one day a week off from work, and we do obedience on that day. She loves going to hang out with all her doggy friends!

I think as long as you make a concentrated effort to spend time with them, stick to a routine and be consistent, you should be fine. As long as you don't expect to come home and ignore him/her. Genevieve knows how things work in our house and she doesn't seem to phased by it. When I am home though, she does have moments where she likes to follow me around! If you start them early in the routine, whatever that may be, they will grow used to it, as before too long they won't know anything different.

Thank you WIZZLE. I had done a lot of reading about Cavaliers and was pretty sure they could be the dog for me (just have a sentimental attachment to cairn terriers) and your post has helped me decide. I want a companion dog to take with me when I'm out and probably share my lap with the cat of an evening. I've also read that they are quite good at obedience classes which I enjoy. I will be spending hours with her/him on my days off and in the evenings as I have nothing else to claim my time. I'm getting really excited about the prospect of a new puppy, rather than worried that I was being selfish for wanting to bring one home. Already made my shopping list fer crates/pens/beds/toys etc. Now I guess I need to start talking to breeders. I'm in Pearcedale, Vic. Anyone know of some good breeders I could start talking to about a Cavalier Puppy.

I have a 15 week old cavalier and, while she is just the loveliest thing, she is a lot of work. At present we make sure she is never alone more than 3 hours at a time - I think she would be so so sad if she had to be alone all day. Also, there is so much training to do - house training for instance.

Would you consider an older dog? Maybe not as needy or high maintenance as a puppy.

Hi Gretel,

I don't think you are a party pooper. I'm looking for any answers to my questions. I have read about the fact that some breeds handle alone time better than others and I think from my reading the CKCS was one of those mentioned in the higher group of NOT handling it well. I really don't want to subject a puppy to stress and lonelyness just because I want a puppy and would prefer a certain breed. I really expected a few more people to express concern about the time the puppy would be alone (any puppy) I know that all dogs are individuals but I guess some breeds handle being alone better than others.

And I am a bit concerned that there will be some breeders who will just say NO to me having one of their dogs, with good reason. They are probably the very people who I'd want to buy from.

B

Does anyone have any suggestions about a few breeders I could talk to? And I never really thought about buying from interstate. Is it very expensive to transport a puppy and do they handle it O.K.?

I have a 15 week old cavalier and, while she is just the loveliest thing, she is a lot of work. At present we make sure she is never alone more than 3 hours at a time - I think she would be so so sad if she had to be alone all day. Also, there is so much training to do - house training for instance.

Would you consider an older dog? Maybe not as needy or high maintenance as a puppy.

Yes MAIA, I have thought about an older dog. Not too many available from my reading.

I have never owned a CKCS myself, so I can't comment on them specifically. But in doing my research on several breeds I have seen almost every breeder say that their particular breed cannot be left at home alone for more than x amount of hours. I don't think that's always realistic though. People do have to work to make a living. Some breeds probably do need a lot more interaction than others. But I think that a lot of dogs would cope very well - provided you supply them with something to occupy themselves during the day, they get exercise (however much they need) and interaction with you when you're home.

Yes MAIA, I have thought about an older dog. Not too many available from my reading.

Sadly true.

I have free range chickens and was turned down by a breeder with an older dog for sale because of this. (From dogzonline.) I was looking for an older cavalier rather than a puppy but when I saw Sophie I caved. I have seen a few older cavaliers advertised in the trading post and on gumtree in the five weeks since then. (When Sophie is being a mental puppy I say they are the ones I should have got instead of her. - She knows I'm kidding. :-) )

There was also a guy selling off some of his older cavaliers but he just kept them in pens in the back yard as breeders and I thought that was a horrendous way to treat a cavalier so didn't even go look at them.

Good luck with it. My Sophie is a lot of work, but such a little bundle of love, I can't imagine being without her now.

in the long run the pup may become acustomed to the time alone though i would agree cavs probably arnt the right breed for u they do crave attention and are needy for lack of a better word :S

Also u will need to take a week or so off work to begin toilet training and let puppy settle in and what not otherwise u might end up getting the pup then diserting it and make it hard to develop the stong bond you are looking for an 8 week old puppy is like a human baby u cant just throw it in a pen and leave it after it has been ripped out of the only home it has ever know and taken away from the only people and dogs it has ever known - it is a rough time on a puppy and u will need to take time to help the little one settle n and this counts for all breeds, i wonder if maybe rescuing might be a better idea? u can get an older cavie or cairn as well though u will have to wait and for some this is hard once the idea of a new family member has entered their minds lol im slowly dying inside waiting to get the right goldie girl for me fingers crossed this time next yr LOL i have been waiting 2 yrs!!

Just my 2 cents lol

Well I'm a party pooper and I would not recommend a Cavalier. They are bred to be companions and do best when they can fulfill that role. They love to be with their people.

I agree, a Cavalier who's alone for 40 hours a week by itself won't be happy :crossfingers: I know of a friend's daughter who has one and it has severe anxiety as a result and just can't handle the alone time, I am sure there are some that are OK but on the whole they were definitely bred to be companions!