Importing Question

angelsun

I'm bringing in a pup from Sweden and starting to run into issues. They have not applied for import permit but have said that is MY job (I just have completed the import from Canada where they took care of it all)

They have also told me, that it's my job to reserve space in Quarantine for the pups arrival. That's not an issue as I"ll be there today although I can't seem to get confirmed dates of arrival at this point. I've sent them the funds they required and I don't seem to be getting much done from them.

Can anyone advise me as to who I contact for WHAT import permit..I"m assuming its AQIS? How long does it take to process?

I"m starting to get very pissed off here as I've paid good money for basically no services to date. The breeder has not been given the list of what she must do to prepare the pup for transport...and to top it off, the person we are dealing with, was on holidays last week and gave NO other person that could fill in the blanks with her absence!

ARGH!!!!

If you go to the AQIS web site, you can find a running sheet of what needs to be, in what order...etc..

We imported a bitch from Netherlands and yes, we had to arrange the import permit from AQIS and the space in quarantine. We didn't have an esact date for her arrival, so we booked an approximate date, telling the staff it was not for sure yet, and when we had confirmed date, we rang them back and booked the proper date.

Here is the overall process

http://www.daff.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_f...ion-package.pdf

You can do the import permit on line to save some time. Last time I did it, I called them to alert them I was in a hurry and did the online form, they approved it the next day.

www.daff.gov.au/aqis/import/application/forms

I believe you can not book Quarantine until you have book the flight and have an arrival date, you can not book the flight until you have the import permit (If I recall correctly).

Thanks everyone for the tips...yes vicious circle of not being able to do something before something else is done....I just found out I needed a vet certificate to apply for the permit, so that is off to Sweden (thank god for the internet!) and hopefully that will be done and back to attach to the online application.

round and round we go!

Thanks everyone for the tips...yes vicious circle of not being able to do something before something else is done....I just found out I needed a vet certificate to apply for the permit, so that is off to Sweden (thank god for the internet!) and hopefully that will be done and back to attach to the online application.

round and round we go!

What vet certificate do you need? Only if it has ongoing issues and needs medication do you need to supply a letter detailing the dogs condition.

My little Norweign boy came out of Quarantine last Friday.

I had to apply for the import permit look at the AQIS website) - you need certain things to apply eg microchip number, dogs DOB and name, exporters and importers address. Best if you apply on line as they seem to process the documents quite quickly. You also have to sign a form that basically says if the dog needs vet treatment while in quarantine you give your approval. I missed a few things on my initial application, so they emailed me as asked me to supply the info and it was approved in a couple of days.

I actually booked the pup into Quarantine when he was a few days old. They took my booking despite not having a plane booking. Later on - in fact when he was 10 weeks of age I had to alter my booking by a couple of days because the airline only flew out of OSLO on Mondays and Wednesdays, but it wasn't a problem.

I had a guy in Norway do all the bookings for me, we arranged for an overnight stop in Singapore (which has top rate Quarantine facilities) because the pup can only arrive during certain hours in Perth - this worked well. They also fed the pup with food taped to the top of his crate.

I heard on the grapevine that the Government is looking at changing the importing requirements from category 2 countries to include only 5 days in quarantine - not holding my breath!

Wow wouldn't that be nice, only 5 days in quarantine!

I brought my boy in from Sweden and yes i had to apply for my permit and book a space in quarantine myself. It is quite easy, as long as the pup is microchipped away you go!

Who are you using for transport? I sent the info from the AQIS site to my breeder over there so they knew what to do in order for the pup to fly out. She worked in with her vet and the transport company and everything went quite smoothly :crossfingers:

I imported from Sweden last year. I didn't need a vet certificate to get the permit, I just applied for it from AQIS. You will need the microchip number and name and address details. I booked my puppy in with an approximate time as I wanted him to be in Melbourne so we could visit. Once I knew flight details, the booking was confirmed. AQIS are really helpful.

The import permit lists all the tests and the completed forms have to travel here with the puppy. The breeder might be better off working with one of the animal transport places over there if he/she hasn't done it before.

Once the import permit landed in my inbox I forwarded it to the breeder as the bulk of the work has to be done there.

Good luck.

You need the bloodtests done within 30 days of export, and an AQIS accredited vet to complete the Certificate A within 4 days of export. Angelsun, perhaps see if the breeder can speak to Scandipet for advice on what to do. We elected to use Jetpets as an agent, made the whole thing tonnes easier, they communicated with Scandipet, who then gave direction to the breeder. Jetpets also applied for our permits & made the quarantine reservation. :o

It's Scandipet we're having issues with...but after yesterday we seem to be better on track. After a lot of misinformation on what form goes where...we're better sorted. With so little time to get things done since the pup can fly at 12 weeks, my head is spinning...I've barely recovered from the import from Canada! (which we got to visit yesterday in Quarantine!)