Hand Feeding/raising Puppies

Andisa

Thought I would share this link to Leerburg, their page to feeding and raising puppies has been a valuable read for me and thought others might be interested too.

http://leerburg.com/bottlefeeding.htm

I am currently hand raising a pug puppy and have struggled to keep him going, goats milk alone was not enough and he hated the taste of Di-Vetelact.

My pup has gone from holding on and only small gains to thriving in only a few days on this formula. He was very difficult to feed, constipated and just not doing well. It was very frustrating feeding him when he just didn't want to co-operate.

Now he is easy to feed - can't get enough, he is thriving and no longer constipated.

I have used similar but the amount of yogurt is far greater than what I did in the past and the Karo syrup helps with energy and prevents constipation.

I am converted and will be hand feeding pups this way from now on, it has not only saved this pup but my sanity too.

I think this link is well worth saving so it is easy to find in future.

Edited by Andisa

I agree that is a great formula, I find the Leerburg site great for a lot of things.

So very glad to hear the pug baby is coming along in leaps and bounds. :D

I had trouble with the teet being clogged with the egg.

OMG I wish SOME-ONE would invent a decent teet for toy breeds. :eek:

I agree that is a great formula, I find the Leerburg site great for a lot of things.

So very glad to hear the pug baby is coming along in leaps and bounds. :thumbsup:

Thanks Stolz, he is still small for age but will get there. He has had a good week.

So very glad to hear the pug baby is coming along in leaps and bounds. :)

OMG I wish SOME-ONE would invent a decent teet for toy breeds. :D

bridie, either use less yogurt or add extra goats milk to thin it out a bit. Did you use the yoke only?

You can buy premature baby bottles and teats or use the small animal bottle and teats. My pug baby was very small and still managed to use a normal baby bottle/teat.

Edited by Andisa

So very glad to hear the pug baby is coming along in leaps and bounds. :confused:

Thanks Stolz, he is still small for age but will get there. He has had a good week.

So very glad to hear the pug baby is coming along in leaps and bounds. :laugh:

OMG I wish SOME-ONE would invent a decent teet for toy breeds. :shrug:

bridie, either use less yogurt or add extra goats milk to thin it out a bit. Did you use the yoke only?

You can buy premature baby bottles and teats or use the small animal bottle and teats. My pug baby was very small and still managed to use a normal baby bottle/teat.

Looking back it was either egg yolk or the yogurt doing the clogging,can remember that at 1-4 am it was so so frustrating..I even went & bought a baby bottle but the teet was way too big for a baby Chi,larger breed should be ideal.If this was in minature it would be great,this day & age there should be some-thing better designed & available.I had so many teets on hand at the time,trying to get just the right flow.

Also the Kara syrup,couldn't get but googled & from memory Golden Syrup was the closest thing.

So very glad to hear the pug baby is coming along in leaps and bounds. :confused:

Looking back it was either egg yolk or the yogurt doing the clogging,can remember that at 1-4 am it was so so frustrating..I even went & bought a baby bottle but the teet was way too big for a baby Chi,larger breed should be ideal.If this was in minature it would be great,this day & age there should be some-thing better designed & available.I had so many teets on hand at the time,trying to get just the right flow.

Also the Kara syrup,couldn't get but googled & from memory Golden Syrup was the closest thing.

They say on the website that it is thick and to thin it with cooled boiled water if necessary, I used goats milk so just added more goats milk. It also says do not use honey so maybe Golden Syrup would be the same.

My little pug baby has been on this milk formula for one week now and has gained 140g, before it was very hard getting him to feed so weight gains were minimal. He loves this formula.

As Sway said above - Wombaroo make smaller bottles/teats - http://www.wombaroo.com.au/images/wom_teats.jpg - these are the same bottles/teats that we used at the hospital when both my babies were born 12 and 8 weeks prem. I bought a small bottle and a teat (womabaroo) from the emergency clinic when Lizzy had her C section - poked several holes in it but found the pup was getting very tired so changed him to the avent new born bottle/teat. At first it was a mouthful but he managed very well, don't know how a Chi would go, but probably better than the Wambaroo teats. I think Sway sells these, if you want them then perhaps buy a set to have for next time. The wombaroo teats do not have holes - you have to put them in yourself.

Edited by Andisa

Sway - Would this be a better option for toy breeds - looks like it would be good.

http://www.whelpingsupplies.com.au/index.p...p;productId=170

Those bottles still use normal size nipples, Many toy breeders buy the Wombaroo teats they seem to be the preferred choice.

I also stock the premmie nipples. http://www.whelpingsupplies.com.au/index.p...p;productId=178

Sway - Would this be a better option for toy breeds - looks like it would be good.

http://www.whelpingsupplies.com.au/index.p...p;productId=170

Those bottles still use normal size nipples, Many toy breeders buy the Wombaroo teats they seem to be the preferred choice.

I also stock the premmie nipples. http://www.whelpingsupplies.com.au/index.p...p;productId=178

Thanks for the Links,saved will peruse t'morrow.

When i did buy the Avent baby bottle & tried it........I thought hell what was i thinking...it was ridiculous,be great on a larger breed but these pups are only 90-100grams.Just been speaking to a breeder & she says she uses a kitten teet,apparently very soft & subtle.Hope I never have to use any ever again........wishful thinking eh! so have to have on hand in-case.