Weight Loss In My Beagle!

SeeGee

HI all,

on a hunch today after giving Charlie a cuddle, I weighed both Charlie and Mia.

Charlie has lost approx 700gr in the last 2 months - he was 12.7 and is now 12kgs. Mia is stable @11.4.

His nature is normal, running and cuddly and playing, and he is toileting normally.

He is on a normal worming schedule, and is advantixed monthly. He hasnt been to any high tick zones.

He is 1yr and 3.5 months old.

I appreciate any input given - I am concerned at his weightloss.

He is fed raw with VAN thrown in a couple of times a week. He and Mia are fed the same, and are supervised when feeding. Chicken wings/necks lamb or beef heart, mince (mixed with van) lamb neck, sardines in springwater, all on rotation. Flaxseed and fish oil supplement, as well as Ester C.....

Thank you and help me!

Jacqui

It doesn't sound dramatic to me. Winter sees dogs put more energy into keeping themselves warm - it might be a simple as that. he might also have lost some muscle - fat weighs less.

Can you post a pic. Many beagles I've seen could afford to lose a little weight. :)

Edited by poodlefan

I am having trouble posting pictures.

I know beagles have weight problems, however I am pedantic about keeping their weight steady. They both have waists, and Mias ribs are noticeable - under vets supervision as she has HD. My vet has always said their weight is just right.

I have facebook but am on private settings. If you shoot my your email address I can either add you to facebook or email you some pics.

Sorry Poodlefan :)

eta: no change in exercise at all :D

Edited by jacquilee81

I think stop worrying so much and most importantly stop weighing the dogs. You end up getting obsessed over numbers. Feel the dogs body, is he losing body fat or muscle? In all probability he's losing some fat with the cold weather. My dogs weight bounces around over the year, my malinois especially. She can get quite thin during winter from all her running about in the rain and cold despite feeding, and stops eating for a day at a time in summer.

honestly 700gm could be a few decent poos in a dog too :thumbsup:

Edited by Nekhbet