Taking Bitch Temps

WreckitWhippet

For those who take their bitches temps and start a couple of weeks out from the due date, has anyone else found that they get a temp drop about a week before the pups actually arrive ?

I've plotted temps for every bitch over the years and have found that every one of them has had a dip under 37 about a week before they whelp. It doesn't stay down for more than half a day. If I went by my temp charts and what I've observed, I would feel confident in predicting a bitch will whelp 6-7 days after the first drop.

Anyone else noticed this and does it vary between breeds ?

This is my first litter and I've started taking my bitches temerature at about two weeks early to get her comforable with it and to get an idea of what's normal for her so I have no "history' such as you have described but I find it interesting that her temperature sits at about 37.7 degrees. That's almost a degree down from what's "normal". So I'll be looking for a drop to about 36.7 for her to be close to whelping I guess.

This is my first litter and I've started taking my bitches temerature at about two weeks early to get her comforable with it and to get an idea of what's normal for her so I have no "history' such as you have described but I find it interesting that her temperature sits at about 37.7 degrees. That's almost a degree down from what's "normal". So I'll be looking for a drop to about 36.7 for her to be close to whelping I guess.

Many/most bitches have a lower gestational temperature range. It's quite normal. Anything below 37 could be a sign of whelping, but only if it is a SUDDEN drop so don't necessarily just look for a 36.7 temp because you may not see it.

Also important is that some bitches have a slight rise in temperature during the last days of gestation. This is normal as well, as long as it doesn't suddenly spike and they start showing other symptoms of illness.

Previously with Ebony, she was pretty much text book. Generally 37.5 to 37.8, then when her temp dropped it went down to 36.5.

Probably no help here but we've started taking Molly's temp as of yesterday morning, hers was 38.0 and again much the same at the evening being 37.9.

This morning taken again and it was 37.8, will take it again tonight. I dont expect any changes just yet though...