Question: Can Dogs Become More Dog Aggressive With Old Age?

kirsty79

:)

Question: Can dogs become more dog aggressive with old age?

Or, can a dog become dog aggressive after being attacked by another dog?

The reason I ask is Jessie is 12 and yesterday, completely out of the blue (or so it seemed to me) out on our walk, she yanked her lead from my OH’s hand, pegged it across the street and threw herself at a staffy. She had it by its neck and had to be pulled off by OH. Its completely out of character and really scared me. Jessie is not only old, but one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met. Previously she has barked at other dogs but her tail was always wagging and I just assumed she wanted to play? Have I got this seriously wrong? Then about 3 weeks ago we had to take her and Fred to the vets and upon leaving, a beagle attacked her. He nipped her a few times but no blood and she gave out as good as she got. Either way, we are seeking a behaviourist / trainer to help us, but I was just wondering what could have caused this sudden change?

Yes this can happen. Causes are variable.

Failing eyesight can be a reason.

Illness that you don't know about yet can also cause changes. Vet check before behaviourist.

Senility may be starting, no way of knowing until there are lots of odd incidents.

Other causes too just can't think of more right now.

Then about 3 weeks ago we had to take her and Fred to the vets and upon leaving, a beagle attacked her.

I suspect this may be a large part of this new behaviour. Getting a professional assessment is a very good idea.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks everyone. Have decided to get a vets opinion / tests first before going down the behaviourist avenue as suggested. It was so incredibly out of character, I'm more convinced there is perhaps an underlying reason :)

When they get old they are not perceived as useful by other dogs in their pack so she might be following her instincts to protect her position. My old girl is 16 and if prompted to fight would do so immediately despite very bad eye sight, hearing and not being as quick on her feet. Her last scrap was only late last year and she still didn't lose to her much younger oponent. We had a behaviouralist in to help us as well. Money well spent to keep all our dogs safe.