What Are The Good Things About Breeding? What Satisfaction Is There In

Fleuri

I have no idea why anyone would put all the time, effort and expense into breeding puppies just to sell to others as pets. Selling desexed or limit register pets does absolutely nothing for the future of the breed and I am amazed at the number of breeders, now breeding this way. If you keep the best to breed with and sell the rest as pets, fair enough, but producing litters with no other purpose than producing pets is not contributing to the betterment of the breed in any way.

I agree with this 100%. I cannot see the point of breeding litters just to sell the puppies as pets, I have to have a purpose, something to strive for, otherwise the incentive to breed just isn't there.

I have no idea why anyone would put all the time, effort and expense into breeding puppies just to sell to others as pets. Selling desexed or limit register pets does absolutely nothing for the future of the breed and I am amazed at the number of breeders, now breeding this way. If you keep the best to breed with and sell the rest as pets, fair enough, but producing litters with no other purpose than producing pets is not contributing to the betterment of the breed in any way.

I agree with this 100%. I cannot see the point of breeding litters just to sell the puppies as pets, I have to have a purpose, something to strive for, otherwise the incentive to breed just isn't there.

The number one reason dogs exist in our society is as pets and I see no shame in anyone breeding the very best pets they can. That is some thing to be proud of, not ashamed of.

IF breeders stop breeding pets then the BYB's and puppy farmers will thrive.

I am much more concerned about breeders selling all dogs on the main register (just look at the ads for staffords to get an idea....)

The highest honour is to be a much loved pet.

The number one reason dogs exist in our society is as pets and I see no shame in anyone breeding the very best pets they can. That is some thing to be proud of, not ashamed of.

If people want to breed to produce pets that's up to them, but I can't see the point of breeding a litter just to produce the very best pets I can. Having a litter is very stressful, a huge amount of work, expense and worry goes into it and that's not something I'd be prepared to do without a reason. For some people receiving photos and thanks from happy puppy buyers may be enough but that doesn't work for me, I breed because I hope to produce that 'special' dog that I can show and go on to breed. I do produce pets, everyone who breeds produces pets, in fact you're lucky to have one or two puppies in a litter that are true show and breeding quality. However pets are a dead end, sure you get money for them but to me that's irrelevant, it's the excitement of breeding that 'once in a lifetime' dog that keeps me going.

Any body who has reasonable luck can breed to produce pets for one generation. Its why there is such a demand for first cross designer dogs.Why the averge time someone breeds is around 6 years or two dog generations. I breed to produce great pets but you cant consistently breed good pets generation after generation with science and not just luck if thats all you are aiming for. You do have to aim at producing that one special dog every litter which will look the part , act the part, and reproduce more consistently healthy great pets.Just breeding pets without also aiming at wanting that special dog of your own is to me also a dead end.I want to know that every litter I produce has the best chance of representing the breed or there is no challenge.

Any body who has reasonable luck can breed to produce pets for one generation. Its why there is such a demand for first cross designer dogs.Why the averge time someone breeds is around 6 years or two dog generations. I breed to produce great pets but you cant consistently breed good pets generation after generation with science and not just luck if thats all you are aiming for. You do have to aim at producing that one special dog every litter which will look the part , act the part, and reproduce more consistently healthy great pets.Just breeding pets without also aiming at wanting that special dog of your own is to me also a dead end.I want to know that every litter I produce has the best chance of representing the breed or there is no challenge.

Well said :thumbsup: