Thinking About A Second Pup.

Little Monster

What kind of dog do you already have?

Are you perfectly happy with every aspect of this dogs behaviour?

Why do you want another dog?

Getting a "friend" for the existing dog, is not a good enough reason imo.

What is the personality of your existing dog?

To be honest, I think anyone considering housing an amstaff with another dog should be very knowledgable about the breed and dog training and experienced around dogs.

Many people do keep fighting breeds together quite successfully though.

i already have a amstaff - charlie 4.5 months old

post-34702-1283485139_thumb.jpg

do i really need a reason for getting a second dog other then i want to????

obviously charlies wellbeing comes first, i'll do what best for him.

he is a friendly little chap, hasnt shown signs of any DA if thats what wanted know....

he is a friendly little chap, hasnt shown signs of any DA if thats what wanted know....

No of course not, i'm glad that YOU want to get a second dog. Many people do just want another dog as a companion for their other dog and sometimes that can go badly wrong as the bad habits are learnt by the new puppy and destruction potential factor is x 100!!!

Obviously it wouldn't be the best idea to get another dog if he didn't like dogs, but make sure you have some strategies inplace if the worst does occur and they don't like each other or start fighting.

And getting a female will potentially help minimise conflict.

i would ask your self do you have enough time for both? what happens if they fight? you will have to very domminate breeds matureing at the same time there is more likly then not a few cracker barneys this is regardless of sex.

I would be waiting til your gorgess boy is older maybe a year or so 2 puppys make life 10 times harder not easier.

i would have your boy going great and getting it (so to speak) he might be able to help teach the pup the ways of the household.

i would ask your self do you have enough time for both? what happens if they fight? you will have to very domminate breeds matureing at the same time there is more likly then not a few cracker barneys this is regardless of sex.

I would be waiting til your gorgess boy is older maybe a year or so 2 puppys make life 10 times harder not easier.

i would have your boy going great and getting it (so to speak) he might be able to help teach the pup the ways of the household.

It would be a good idea to wait until your boy is at least 18 mths-2 yrs old b4 getting another puppy. Then I would see how he is with other dogs to make sure he tolerates them. I knew a woman at my obedience club who brought a 6 mth old pup into her household. She had terrible fights between her resident border collie & the border collie cross pup from when she was about 1 yr old, & I mean fights with blood all over the place, they even broke through new pool fencing she has put up to separate them while she was at work. She eventually had the pup pts.

I'm thinking of getting another pup but my girl is over 2 1/2 yrs old.

I wouldn't get another puppy for a few reasons....

Pups of similar ages can create very strong bonds together in which it can be difficult for them to find mmore value in you than in each other and also due to the strong bond they form with each other seperation anxiety (from one another) can really be a problem.

Many ethical Breeders will not re-home pups together for the above or similar reasons.

It seems like a great idea to keep each other company and have a play mate but it's not a good idea when both are pups.