Are Dogs This Smart?

kirsty79

Hey everyone,

As some may know I have been on Dol recently getting advice for improving Fred's diet. We had previously tried raw diets for Fred and Jessie, but it did not agree with Jess (she was being sick) and at 12 years of age we decided to leave her diet as it is. She is happy and healthy. However, Freds itching has spiralled out of control. So, after a weekend of shopping for bones and raw food we fed the new food to Fred yesterday and jess had her usual. All good. Same this morning, all good. Then tonight, we went to prepare the food and the next thing we know, the dogs are attacking each other :eek: Thankfully neither were hurt bar a tiny scratch on Jessie's nose, but I have a few questions.

1. When this happens, how do you stop the fight? OH physically stopped it - too physically if you ask me.

2. Are Fred and Jessie smart enough to realise they were being fed different meals and each or one wanted what the other was having? We were feeding approx 2 metres apart but after the fight we fed them in separate rooms.

3. Is it more common than I realised for two dogs that have lived happily together for 17 months to out of the blue have a fight like this?

4. Lastly, what can I do to help restore Jessies confidence. She was attacked by another dog at the vets one month ago, and now this, I just cry thinking about how confused she must be.

1. When this happens, how do you stop the fight? OH physically stopped it - too physically if you ask me.

Different breeds, different needs but a loud noise (drop a pot next to them) will often work. If not, go straight to intervention, one person grab each dog by the backlegs and lift up. Yours are Bassets aren't they? In this case, perhaps lifting by the backlegs could be a bad idea. Tipping a bowl of water over their heads helps for many breeds. Physically dragging dogs away from each other can often make a small bite into a long tear if one dog has hold of the other. Do NOT put your hands anywhere near their teeth!

2. Are Fred and Jessie smart enough to realise they were being fed different meals and each or one wanted what the other was having?

IMO - no.

We were feeding approx 2 metres apart but after the fight we fed them in separate rooms.

Does it take Fred longer to finish his raw food - if so, definitely feed them apart in separate areas.

3. Is it more common than I realised for two dogs that have lived happily together for 17 months to out of the blue have a fight like this?

Yes - except it won't be out of the blue - there will have been something that you have missed which started it.

4. Lastly, what can I do to help restore Jessies confidence. She was attacked by another dog at the vets one month ago, and now this, I just cry thinking about how confused she must be.

I would just let her interact with Fred without any food or toys being present, no favouritism, no making them come together for group cuddles.

She is much older than him isn't she? If so, I would have a full physical, dogs will sometimes get very touchy with each other if one is unwell or ''failing''

Have a shot of something yourself, or hot tea if you must - a fight is always a good way to get the heart rate up :eek:

Edited by Sandra777

Better to avoid it in the first place. :eek: If you know a fight may break out in a certain situation I think it's a good idea to keep them split up in that situation so they can't argue. Would one be comfortable in another room while meals are being prepared? Crates are a good, safe way of keeping everyone out of each other's faces.

2. Are Fred and Jessie smart enough to realise they were being fed different meals and each or one wanted what the other was having? We were feeding approx 2 metres apart but after the fight we fed them in separate rooms.

Possibly, but that's not to say that is why the fight broke out. Might just have been the smell of the raw because it smells good, or it could have been something unrelated, even. Who knows?

Presumably other people might know the answer to that. I've seen it happen once after 2 years of social harmony.

Don't rush to put your feelings onto her, I think. Wait for her to tell you if she needs her confidence restored. If you think she does, it would depend on how she was behaving as to what you might do. Probably a professional would be able to give the best advice on that.

I always feed my boys seperately in different rooms with the door closed.

There are 2 reasons for this 1. Rocky eats much faster and would try and eat Coopers food, which would definately result in a fight.

2. They are on different diets. Though the meal is prepared in the kitchen with both dogs waiting and the haven't fought whilst I have been getting it ready.

Not sure that this helps you much it is just my experience in this house with my boys.

eta my boys have only been together since June.

Edited by sebastion 2

Different breeds, different needs but a loud noise (drop a pot next to them) will often work. If not, go straight to intervention, one person grab each dog by the backlegs and lift up. Yours are Bassets aren't they? In this case, perhaps lifting by the backlegs could be a bad idea. Tipping a bowl of water over their heads helps for many breeds. Physically dragging dogs away from each other can often make a small bite into a long tear if one dog has hold of the other. Do NOT put your hands anywhere near their teeth!

2. Are Fred and Jessie smart enough to realise they were being fed different meals and each or one wanted what the other was having?

IMO - no.

We were feeding approx 2 metres apart but after the fight we fed them in separate rooms.

Does it take Fred longer to finish his raw food - if so, definitely feed them apart in separate areas.

Yes - except it won't be out of the blue - there will have been something that you have missed which started it.

I would just let her interact with Fred without any food or toys being present, no favouritism, no making them come together for group cuddles.

She is much older than him isn't she? If so, I would have a full physical, dogs will sometimes get very touchy with each other if one is unwell or ''failing''

Have a shot of something yourself, or hot tea if you must - a fight is always a good way to get the heart rate up :eek:

Thanks Sandra :)

It all happened so quickly I didn't have chance to think of what to do! But definitely going to be more prepared in the future! I think the loud noise would definitely work with my two. To break them from certain antics I clap my hands and that seems to work.

I didn't think they'd be "smart" enough to distinguish they were getting different food but OH seems convinced. Its not like one was being fed and the other wasn't? But there was lots of noses in the air sniffing.

Definitely takes Fred longer cos atm he is getting raw bones etc, so definitely going to continue with separate rooms for feeding.

At a loss as to what I've missed. although I'm learning so much all the time. Can't say there has been anything that sticks out, apart from the fact Jessie attacked another dog completely out of the blue last weekend (have already posted re it and awaiting blood tests to see if underlying illness or if I need to get a behaviourist). Very odd behaviour for her and it was Fred (the basset) that instigated it tonight).

Jessie is a senior at twelve (you've got a good memory!) went to see the vets at the weekend and the vet is concerned with her back legs. Very stiff and she seems uncomfortable. Could she be giving off a "cranky" vibe even though she didn't start the tussle tonight?

Lol. Just sitting with a glass of wine. :)

Mine certainly know if there is anything different in one's dinner and not in the other's, but I don't think I'd blame the fight on that though.

It may be that bones and raw food are higher value to them than what you usually feed, and that just the presence and scent of the raw food, if that is unusual, has sparked some competition.

If they were mine, I'd try feeding them separately and not have them both in the vicinity when preparing the food, and see how that goes.

Better to avoid it in the first place. :eek: If you know a fight may break out in a certain situation I think it's a good idea to keep them split up in that situation so they can't argue. Would one be comfortable in another room while meals are being prepared? Crates are a good, safe way of keeping everyone out of each other's faces.

Possibly, but that's not to say that is why the fight broke out. Might just have been the smell of the raw because it smells good, or it could have been something unrelated, even. Who knows?

Presumably other people might know the answer to that. I've seen it happen once after 2 years of social harmony.

Don't rush to put your feelings onto her, I think. Wait for her to tell you if she needs her confidence restored. If you think she does, it would depend on how she was behaving as to what you might do. Probably a professional would be able to give the best advice on that.

Absolutely. Now I know there might be an issue, definitely feeding in separate rooms, however I think I preparing whilst in separate room would be a great idea :)

Jessie seems ok (probably just me fussing) she is snoozing on her bed.I'm probably more upset than she is!

Oh you poor thing.

It's nothing to do with being smart. Dogs can smell.

Raw food has an extremely high value.

Feed separately.

prepare alone.(no dogs)

even in separate rooms they will know if one has raw.

Yes, raw is best, IMO if it causes a problem, esp a fight, I'd reassess.

If raw has become an issue between them or stirred up competitive feelings and resource guarding, I'd give it a miss. They will smell it on breath, fur etc. even poo. You can't keep it 'secret'.

Try feeding the same food, separrately and see how they act together, if they are good, keep it up. If not, there may be other issues that you have to investigate.

Hope it all turns out well, I'm sure it will. Love to your lovely doggiesxxxxx