What Would Cause You To Change Vets?

KitKat

We use several different vet practices - one is primarily for gynie/AI etc and hip/elbow x-rays. They are efficient, careful, fabulous with the dogs and have a fantastic success rate. They are a distance away from us but came highly recommended.

The other practice is nearer to us and we have been using them for years. They are great for day-to-day things/injuries/conditions etc - we are particular though and only certain vets from either practice get to see our dogs. They understand our concerns re medications/vaccinations/diets etc and do not try to push their ideas on us. A few newbies have tried to push extra vaccinations, Science Diet food ( :p ) and various other things but have been "told" in no uncertain terms and don't get a return visit. The ones whom we've come to know and trust don't push and listen to our concerns re our dogs, after all we live with them and know them the best.

Kitkat, if you have doubts then I would certainly change. Have pm'ed you.

Interesting Topic!!! My question is in reversal though... I am extremely happy with my vet, but because I have moved and am about to take my dog back in a couple of months (am moving again to a place with yard space and am getting my dog back from ex-husband), my vet is alot further away than usual. Do I keep going back to the vet that is great and has all my dog's history and knows whats going on due to her disorder or do I find another vet and have all files transferred over and risk a not as good vet, but is closer in case of an emergency???

I'd stay with my current vet, but due to the 45 minute drive if there was an emergency I am worried that this is too big a risk... thus reason for sourcing another vet within 5-10 minute distance.

Cheers,

Di

Di,

why not do both? Explain to the old vet and have a copy made of records to keep at the new vet but keep using the old one for day-to-day things and non-emergencies. Continuity of care. Talk to local folk in the new area and find a 24 hour or emergency vet to use for those things when you can't make the 45 minute drive.

What a GREAT idea BDA!!!! I wouldnt have even thought of that!!! Do differing vets interact with each other, e.g. could my current vet talk to a new vet in the local area in regards to my dog to keep up with the continuity of care for my dog, such as blood test results, platelet counts etc???

If they are both friendly vets, there shouldn't be any reason why they couldn't have a professional discussion about your dogs case.

Probably best just to politely discuss your situation with your current vet, maybe see if they would be willing to write a letter of introduction or something for you. Then you could see the potential new vet and see if they would be willing to "share" you - if they say no, then you can always just continue seeing your old vet for scheduled visits and just see someone else for more urgent matters?

Both of our vet practices know of the other and, although they are not affiliated, they happily share us and our records. Talk to each, it's a win-win situation for them if they think about it!

Thanks for posting everyone :thumbsup:

Yes, Molasseslass, it has been a bit ongoing now but just it was just the last straw really. They used to be fairly reasonable but it's gotten a bit iffy since i got my hands on my GSD pup. But then my other two pets only ever needed they're yearly injections, so didn't really take much to treat them.

In Sydney I used the same vet for years. Until the day I took our old bedraggled rescue Shepherd in for treatment for mites.

Vet looked at him and said "why'd you bother".

Clipped the lead on and walked out. Never went back.

This is a cat story, but I think it's applicable.

I had an elderly cat with a thyroid condition, she was a nervous cat and being given medication stressed her terribly. We discussed other treatment, but the vet advised against it. We sadly made the decision to stop treatment and to have her put down when we felt it was appropriate. When the time came to put her down we rang the clinic and asked for the vet to make a house call, so she wouldn't have the additional stress of travelling.

The receptionist refused and insisted we bring her in as the vet may be able to 'do something'. We took her in and listened to the scathing remarks about having ceased the medication, and the list of reasons why she would need to be PTS.

I've never been back. He (and you) may not have approved of our choices, but we did what we felt was best under the circumstances. We didn't need the aditional guilt trip, and Tash certainly deserved an easier end. :thumbsup:

Eventhough I have moved 3 hours away, I still take Shelby to the Ballajura Vet... they don't charge for stepping in the door.

I have been given advice, worm tablets and not one consultation fee.

They give 30% discount for pensioners/unemployed/seniors aswell.

I have used the vets down here, but OMG the price... would rather take a trip, see the rellies and do some shopping so shelby can be seen to.

Of course in an emergency we would go down the highway without a doubt!

So really, guess I'm saying, I wouldn't change vets..lol

The Ballajura Vet rocks! :thumbsup:

Great service, reasonable prices, and free check-ups.

Even when I move home in a couple of months, I'll be returning there despite there being two other clinics closer.

I'd only change if they changed the way they did things.