Can You Take Dogs To Kangaroo Island

fiveplusone

Might be a dumb question.....but can you take dogs to kangaroo island?

I'm thinking no because you would have to take them on the ferry?

OH is going over for a day for work and thought me and the kids could tag along but I don't want to leave pup home alone all day with the potential of bad weather.

Guest RANDCMOORE31

Yes, you can take them - but they either have to stay in the vehicle - or you need to sit out on the deck with them - as they're not allowed inside the lounge areas of the ferry.

We used to own the ferries! :laugh: lived on KI for 20 years, OH born there. Yes you can take dogs. HEaps of tiger snakes, so be careful, breeding time. and dont' forget that penguins nest all over the place, esp in rocks, beaches even under houses.

xxxHave fun!

Woo Hoo....Hugo gets to go to KI!! None of us have been before so looking forward to it!

Where are good places to go that are suitable for dogs? Anywhere that we won't be allowed to go with him?

We are desperately trying to sell my car so we can get a 4 wheel drive but if we don't manage it by then can we still get to lots of places with a normal car?

Thanks for your quick replies

Obviously I dont know if there is any new legislation, but normally you are not allowed to stay in the car. the trip is about an hour so maybe you could put pup in a crate in the car? also, sea sickness is a possibility, you may even sight southern right whales :laugh::rofl:

you cannot take dogs to any national park places, you do not need a 4wd either. The roads used to be all dirt, but there are many bitumen roads these days :D

How long are you going? It is a large island..

Pennington Bay is glorious and worth a look for sightseeing value, on the way to kingscote. Penneshaw is very pretty, where the boat comes in, cape willoughby has a great lighthouse and rugged beaches, Stokes bay is amazing, you get to it through a rock crevase. I'd suggest remarkable rocks, flinders chase, admirals arch, kelly hill caves, seal bay, but pretty sure NO DOGS.

American beach, just out of penneshaw, at the bottom of the first hill (downhill) is a great walking type safe beach.

there are many places to look at even with the dog. the crossing can be rough :( maybe have stuff handy for the kids.

Have a great time!! :o

Edited by Monah

Obviously I dont know if there is any new legislation, but normally you are not allowed to stay in the car. the trip is about an hour so maybe you could put pup in a crate in the car? also, sea sickness is a possibility, you may even sight southern right whales :laugh::rofl:

you cannot take dogs to any national park places, you do not need a 4wd either. The roads used to be all dirt, but there are many bitumen roads these days :D

Pennington Bay is glorious and worth a look for sightseeing value, on the way to kingscote. Penneshaw is very pretty, where the boat comes in, cape willoughby has a great lighthouse and rugged beaches, Stokes bay is amazing, you get to it through a rock crevase. I'd suggest remarkable rocks, flinders chase, admirals arch, kelly hill caves, seal bay, but pretty sure NO DOGS.

American beach, just out of penneshaw, at the bottom of the first hill (downhill) is a great walking type safe beach.

there are many places to look at even with the dog. the crossing can be rough :( maybe have stuff handy for the kids.

Only going for a day! OH going over for work so his fare and fare for car will be paid for so thought we'd tag along seeing as it will be school holidays and we'll only have to pay for the extra 3 people. Don't think pup would cope on his own in the car e ven in his crate so I think OH will have to go on his own as don't really want to leave Hugo home alone all day particularly with weather being so awful lately.

Only going for a day! OH going over for work so his fare and fare for car will be paid for so thought we'd tag along seeing as it will be school holidays and we'll only have to pay for the extra 3 people. Don't think pup would cope on his own in the car e ven in his crate so I think OH will have to go on his own as don't really want to leave Hugo home alone all day particularly with weather being so awful lately.

the last time i went over i took the dog onto the deck. maybe check but i am think that is still the case

Yes, you may be able to do the deck thing. To be honest, just for a day trip, it may not be worth it. The trip can be awful if the weather is iffy, that stretch is one of the worse there is for rough seas. A nasty trip over and the thought of a trip back is not great :laugh: My kids both knew what 'sick bags' were for from the ages of around 7 months! :)

you also would not be able to see much, but i guess a day is OK for a very general look. :)