Suitable Brush For Mal

dee136

I use a furminator on my sibe & love it!! Any ideas on what will work as well on my mal?

I find the furminator only really helps on parts where he has shorter hair eg front legs.

The slicker makes him look slightly better but it only lasts a day & doesn't remove much dead hair at all.

Need help, he is starting to look terrible & hair on back legs is starting to matt.

Don't know why a slicker isn't working.

I groom a friend of mines Husky on a regular basis and I get garbage bags full of hair out with just a slicker.

How are you using it?

You need to really part the hair and flick it out from the skin not just brush it over the dog on the outside. Doesn't take long once you are used to it, just use one hand to part the hair and the other to brush really fast in the opposite direction of your 'holding hand', with every stroke try and grab a bit more hair from under your hand until you have worked your way along the dogs body.

Rubber brushes work quite well too you might want to try on of those. Look just like a regular brush only instead of metal pins they have soft rubber bristles. The rubber grabs the hair really well.

Don't know why a slicker isn't working.

I groom a friend of mines Husky on a regular basis and I get garbage bags full of hair out with just a slicker.

How are you using it?

You need to really part the hair and flick it out from the skin not just brush it over the dog on the outside. Doesn't take long once you are used to it, just use one hand to part the hair and the other to brush really fast in the opposite direction of your 'holding hand', with every stroke try and grab a bit more hair from under your hand until you have worked your way along the dogs body.

Rubber brushes work quite well too you might want to try on of those. Look just like a regular brush only instead of metal pins they have soft rubber bristles. The rubber grabs the hair really well.

The mal & sibe's coat are quite different. I have used the slicker previously on the sibe before getting the furminator & had no problem with but the furminator works much better. I think the problem is the longer thicker coat of the mal, no matter how much parting of the coat I do it doesn't make a difference. I do get hair off him but it takes me hours for next to no result.

Try an Oster undercoat rake. I use one on my big black woolly bear aka Benson, and it removes the undercoat easily and in massive volume. I tried a Furminator, it just slipped over the surface. Standard rakes remove some of the undercoat but not a lot in one go.

The Oster does the best job with the least amount of effort on my part.

The best way is with a wide tooth comb and hard work!

You need to part the coat and comb, make sure your combing from the base.

It's not good enough to just wave a brush over the top of a coat.

And to cut work time down, invest in a dryer. A dryer will blow alot of the loose coat out, and then you can get down to working out the rest with a comb.

A good grooming session would involve the following.

Blow out the coat

Bath

Blow dry dog/blow out coat

Comb

A final blow out

If you could invest in doing this while the dog is majorly shedding you will really get on top of that coat.