Living In The City Of Kingston? (melbourne)

Isabel964

Hi, just wondering if anyone is living in the City of Kingston with dogs and how they find it. The reason is that I am thinking of moving there, but I have heard and read some things that make me think the council is not dog friendly at all.

There is the thing where the council is apparently considering making a requirement that all dogs be on lead everywhere except in an off-leash area - on a lead no longer than a metre...even on private property. Apparently the council is very concerned about the high number of dog attacks on people and other animals in their area. It just seems a very severe reaction and is not fair for responsible dogs owners who have trained and well behaved, wel adjusted dogs.

There is the other thing where it seems that nowhere in the city of Kingston or the City of Frankston which have most of the coastline from below Brighton onwards down the coast - between them there does not seem to be one single dedicated dog beach. There are dedicsted 24 x 7 dog beaches in Port Melbourne, St Kilda, Brighton and Beaumaris - but South of there - nothing....why?

So I am just wondering what its like for responsible dog owners to live in the City of Kingston.

I live in the City of Kingston and have recently obtained Council approval for a third dog so they are not too bad.

My dogs are free to roam in my house and backyard but on the street they are all leashed.

I have a park nearby that has a section where they are allowed to be off leash.

Most of the beaches do have off leash times which we adhere to when we go down there.

We mainly go to the beach at the end of Warrigal Road and in the winter they are allowed on the beach. In the summer it is early morning and late afternoon.

All in all I am very happy living here.

According to the recent article in my local paper, Kingston is looking at introducing a by-law that dogs must be on lead at all times in public places, including Council property - unless in a designated dog off-lead area. There was no reference to private property. I can't see any problem with this, and had assumed it was already part of the by-laws of all Melbourne city councils. In my council area (next to Kingston) the by-laws also state that the length of dog lead should be 1.5mtrs. To my knowledge, nobody actually takes any notice of this. I walk 3 large dogs, and prefer 1.8mtr leads so we're not all walking on top of each other. Actually, my council also legislates as to how many dogs are supposed to be walked at once - 2 only. (I get away with 3, because this doesn't include greyhounds...greyhounds are speshul :confused: )

Kingston has always seemed like a good and fair Council to me. As with any council - the manner in which animal by-laws are enforced depends on that council's animal officers.

Thanks for the helpful responses. Its really good to hear they are reasonable at the City of Kingston.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem having my dogs on leashes except in off-leash areas - but a 1 metre leash is too short IMO (for well behaved dogs anyway). And I do feel that each council should have one 24 x 7 dog beach.

Hi,if you are a responsible dog owner, your dog will be on lead except in off lead areas, it doesn't matter where you live.

On private property? On a lead no longer than a metre? That's not very long...

It was clarified that there was no reference to private property, no?

Either way, not a huge deal. One metre isn't especially long* but it's hardly the sort of draconian dog laws they have to deal with in many places in Queensland.

*I usually walk my dog on a leash that's one metre long and it doesn't cause us any bother. The shorter length makes it easier to reel him in if we're approaching other people (or dogs)- not everyone appreciates dog nose in their crotch as they walk past :laugh:

Edited to correct typo

Edited by Hardy's Angel