Vaccinating At 16 Wks ........ Do You Or Dont You?

Jsk

16 wks vaccs do you do it??  

65 members have voted

1. 1. 16 wks vaccs do you do it??

• Yes
    • No
    • I dont vaccinate at all

Somepeople need to get over them selves rolleyes.gif

:thumbsup: I'm sorry if that offended you and came out the wrong way, that was not my intention and I have deleted my post. I used to play round at ag shows with horses so I do know what you mean just my experience is limited to an entirely different animal.

All the best with getting the info you need.

Edited to add: My dog's breeder shows dogs and their policy is C3 (or similar) at 6 weeks; C5 and C7 at 12 and 16 weeks.

Edited by Rottigirl

I do C3 at 8, 12 and 16 weeks then a booster at 16 months.

Don't dogs being shown have to be vaccinated every year?

I know when I went to sign up for agility you had to provide a yearly proof of vaccination.

My pets only get done about every 3 years and that's being on the safe side because we do go to the local dog park regularly.

I do C3 at 8, 12 and 16 weeks then a booster at 16 months.

Don't dogs being shown have to be vaccinated every year?

I know when I went to sign up for agility you had to provide a yearly proof of vaccination.

My pets only get done about every 3 years and that's being on the safe side because we do go to the local dog park regularly.

Our obedience club accepts the 3yearly vaccination provided that's what the certificate says.

I know DOGS Vic is yet to officially change their regulation but I cannot see how they could argue the dog was not vaccinated if the card states it is??

As far as I am concerned it has nothing to do with the vaccine it is to do with the age it is first administered.

It is a known fact that the older the pup the pup the more effective the vaccine.

Puppies should not be vaccinated under 8 weeks. It is also not true that the vaccine takes 2 weeks to be effective.

The only vaccine on the market that I would trust is Nobivac. If you have any doubts about it, e mail them in Bendigo.

I did a lot research on their vaccines and vet helped me get the data from Nobivac. Ask a vet that uses Nobivac.

As newer vaccines are brought onto the market this may change.

Our obedience club accepts the 3yearly vaccination provided that's what the certificate says.

I know DOGS Vic is yet to officially change their regulation but I cannot see how they could argue the dog was not vaccinated if the card states it is??

Thanks, rules are different everywhere, it's so confusing.

Just grabbed my entry booklet, there's a sticker on the front that reads:

"It is an ANKC/TCA Inc requirement that all exhibitors certify that their entry has not within the said 3 month period, been in a kennel affected with Distemper, Canine Hepatitis, Parvo Virus or any other contagious or infectious disease and that during the last 12 months prior to the date of this show the dog was vaccinated."

I only purchased this book about 6 months ago.

It is also not true that the vaccine takes 2 weeks to be effective.

This is incorrect, it CAN take the full two weeks. I titre tested my puppy about 10 days after he was vaccinated and he had no immunity to parvo. At 15 days he DID. It took him the full two weeks to seroconvert.

This is incorrect, it CAN take the full two weeks. I titre tested my puppy about 10 days after he was vaccinated and he had no immunity to parvo. At 15 days he DID. It took him the full two weeks to seroconvert.

There may always be an exception to the rule :eek: . In your case it may have had something to do with the testing method or anything else, including maternal antibodies.

Modern vaccines have a 36 hour turn around. You don't have to believe me, ask the vaccine company for the documented evidence. :confused:

There may always be an exception to the rule :eek: . In your case it may have had something to do with the testing method or anything else, including maternal antibodies.

Modern vaccines have a 36 hour turn around. You don't have to believe me, ask the vaccine company for the documented evidence. :confused:

Noah's second titer test was PAID for by Nobivac as part of their testing so I had a lot of interaction with them. I still believe it is untrue to say as a blanket statement that puppies will have seroconverted in a few days.

The testing was fine, and if it WAS maternal antibodies, he's hardly going to be the only puppy with that issue. The point is, it is safer to assume a week or two as 'unsafe' than assure everyone the puppy will be immune, as he is evidence that the vaccines CAN take longer.

Nobivac were particularly interested because they advise that at 10 weeks the vaccine still works despite the presence of maternal antibodies.

There may always be an exception to the rule :confused: . In your case it may have had something to do with the testing method or anything else, including maternal antibodies.

Modern vaccines have a 36 hour turn around. You don't have to believe me, ask the vaccine company for the documented evidence. :laugh:

[Noah's second titer test was PAID for by Nobivac as part of their testing so I had a lot of interaction with them. I still believe it is untrue to say as a blanket statement that puppies will have seroconverted in a few days.

The testing was fine, and if it WAS maternal antibodies, he's hardly going to be the only puppy with that issue. The point is, it is safer to assume a week or two as 'unsafe' than assure everyone the puppy will be immune, as he is evidence that the vaccines CAN take longer.

Nobivac were particularly interested because they advise that at 10 weeks the vaccine still works despite the presence of maternal antibodies.

Exactly what I said. Maternal antibodies. ;) If you purchased your puppy the breeder may have thought they were doing the right thing by vaccination the bitch before she came in season or during her pregnancy. This was thought to be correct. You may have bred your own puppy. Years ago we were told this would be correct.

Not so now days.

I applaud :eek: Nobivac for the help they have given you. Isn't it a shame more company's don't do the same. :)

There may always be an exception to the rule :confused: . In your case it may have had something to do with the testing method or anything else, including maternal antibodies.

Modern vaccines have a 36 hour turn around. You don't have to believe me, ask the vaccine company for the documented evidence. :laugh:

[Noah's second titer test was PAID for by Nobivac as part of their testing so I had a lot of interaction with them. I still believe it is untrue to say as a blanket statement that puppies will have seroconverted in a few days.

Exactly what I said. Maternal antibodies. ;) If you purchased your puppy the breeder may have thought they were doing the right thing by vaccination the bitch before she came in season or during her pregnancy. This was thought to be correct. You may have bred your own puppy. Years ago we were told this would be correct.

Not so now days.

I applaud :eek: Nobivac for the help they have given you. Isn't it a shame more company's don't do the same. :)

Yes but do you see my point? The amount of maternal antibodies present are a ?? in most puppies that are sold, therefore it is safer to assume the puppy may take 14 days for immunity to build.

You could say that it will take 36 hours for seroconversion in a given amount of puppies, but it is not a blanket rule and that was my point. I would not like to see people taking out puppies a few days after vaccination, when they most likely would have no idea if they are immune or not within that short space of time.

I vaccinate at 8 weeks then again at minimum 3+ months (not 12 weeks) more often 3 1/2 months. Depending on what I use at the 2nd vacc. I sometimes give a second KC vacc 4 weeks later. Have always done it this way and if I have a vet that says I must do 3 vacc with one done at 12 weeks also I find another vet.

[i applaud :thumbsup: Nobivac for the help they have given you. Isn't it a shame more company's don't do the same. :)

Yes but do you see my point? The amount of maternal antibodies present are a ?? in most puppies that are sold, therefore it is safer to assume the puppy may take 14 days for immunity to build.

You could say that it will take 36 hours for seroconversion in a given amount of puppies, but it is not a blanket rule and that was my point. I would not like to see people taking out puppies a few days after vaccination, when they most likely would have no idea if they are immune or not within that short space of time.

No there won't be a problem if people stop over vaccinating their bitches. ;)

If pups are taken off the bitch at 6 weeks and vaccinated at 8 weeks with an also appropriate vaccine.

Thus giving time for the antibodies to become so low that the vaccine can do its job.

There are some breeds that have been identified as problems. These, the breeders are aware of and vaccinate accordingly. :)

There will always be an exception to the rule and we as breeders may come up against a puppy that may never be able to be vaccinated. :(