Kuma Doesn't Like Our Visitor

KumaAkita

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a bit OT but,

I just want to say Well Done! ;) Good on you for being responsible, listening to advice and contacting Steve. :eek:

We see too many people come on here, "ask advice", but when told something they don't want to hear, they go off at everyone. God knows where they or their dogs end up.

Bit late now I suppose but what about your visitor feeding & walking your dog & dishing out the orders.

Probably too scared by now.

I would also be worried that now your dog has started this he may continue in this behaviour. Big dog, not good.

Whilst I do not deny that my dog has this rank issue, I need to question that "big dog, not good" thing. If he was a poodle, do you think it would be acceptable, just because it is a little dog? I put a lot of time and effort into training my dog because he is a big dog and have to face the prejudice associated with owning a giant breed. Ok, so a SWF would do less damage if aggression turned viscious, but that would not excuse the behaviour.

I've had a great chat to K9Pro (thanks Steve!) and will be starting to implement a few new rules. I also spoke to OH earlier and the tribe has spoken - it's time to, Dupree.

Of course not. However a poodle is far less likely to see Dupree in intensive care should things take a turn for the worst. Size does matter when it comes to aggression - that's reality not prejudice. NO aggression is acceptable.

;) Dupree.

No prejudice intended about your giant breed, I have had a giant breed in the past.

I didn't infer at all it would be acceptable behaviour from a small dog.

Above quote explains it sensibly. Big dog damage is usually bigger. Sorry :eek:

This is a bit OT but,

I just want to say Well Done! :thumbsup: Good on you for being responsible, listening to advice and contacting Steve. :laugh:

We see too many people come on here, "ask advice", but when told something they don't want to hear, they go off at everyone. God knows where they or their dogs end up.

Thanks Lovemesideways - it is hard to make an admission on a forum like this that you think your dog has a problem. Most people hold their own dogs in such high esteem and there are some (not all...) that will cut people down for having a "bad dog". Kuma is a pretty good boy, with one or two issues... much like nearly every dog on this site, I'd wager.

I had a few recorded episodes of The Dog Whisperer on our IQ and deliberately turned one on the other night when we were watching TV. Now, think what you will of Cesar Millan's methods, but it really struck a cord with Dupree and he has started to behave differently around Kuma - not challenging, but not backing down either. We discussed last night that Kuma was challenging him for rank and that there are a few steps we need to do. He's willing to help us work on those issues, and as a group we are having a go at balancing our pack. Look - I don't expect miracles... but the more we can do to make our pack stable and balanced, the better eh?

But that being said, Dupree is going (thank God). We started proper crate training with Kuma last night and he was really getting the whole notion of owning his real estate. We still own his toys and the rest of the house though! :) The OH and I are committed to making this work.

Also want to thank everyone for their suggestions and advice. I'm a big girl and can make up my own mind as to what I follow and what I ignore, but there has been some really constructive feedback that has made me reassess things.

Edited by KumaAkita