Kuma Doesn't Like Our Visitor

KumaAkita

The behaviour needs to be stopped regardless of how long this visitor has overstayed his welcome,

that sort of behaviour is unacceptable and could lead to heartache,

Well I know whose behaviour is uncceptable and it isn't Kuma's :rofl::rofl:

Whilst the easy solution would be to boot Dupree, it doesn't solve the potential underlying issue.

We have often had overnight and long term visitors (we're the only Canberrans on both sides, so visitors stay over lots). Kuma has not had a problem with any the other visitors who have stayed, it is just this one person. Perhaps it is length of time, or he is feeding off my resentment.

What I find totally unacceptable is that people are telling you that Kuma's behaviour is unacceptable. Frankly, Dupree should be put on the footpath with all his baggage, external and internal.

If you don't have the courage, think of your dog. :):eek:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MM:

What I find totally unacceptable is that people are telling you that Kuma's behaviour is unacceptable.

Please tell me you're joking. What part of muzzle punching, biting and attempting to get a guest in the house on the ground is acceptable behaviour from a dog? :rofl:

Are you suggesting that a dog gets to determine who is welcome in the house and who isn't?

The OP is well aware she needs to resolve Kuma's behaviour. That's why she started this thread.

He was getting really rough with Dupree and was ignoring all my commands to stop

How is this acceptable??

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks MM - There are some elements of Kuma's behaviour that are unacceptable, but there needs to be some blame on all sides. Us for not having the courage to give Dupree the boot, Dupree for overstaying his welcome and Kuma for getting a wee bit aggressive.

Thanks MM - There are some elements of Kuma's behaviour that are unacceptable, but there needs to be some blame on all sides. Us for not having the courage to give Dupree the boot, Dupree for overstaying his welcome and Kuma for getting a wee bit aggressive.

Down the track you may end up thanking Dupree for bringing this issue into the open. I'd rather deal with what's going on in a 10 month old dog than a more mature animal. You've identified the issue early and without a serious incident. Count your blessings.

"He was getting really rough with Dupree and was ignoring all my commands to stop"

How is this acceptable??

I would say that Kuma is smart enough to pick up the real emotions under the surface.

Regardless, dogs shouldn't harrass people because their owner's don't like them. The OP recognises this and has posted for help.

I really can't stand my sister, but when she comes to my house I don't expect my dogs to mouth her. Some people think that all dogs are stable and have some sort of magical power where they can read minds. They can't. They are very good at reading body language. What if an innocent person gives off the wrong body language? Are they fair game?

Let's hope the next "Dupree" isn't a kid.

ETA: To the OP, I hope you don't feel that people are "blaming" Kuma. That isn't the case. Rather, people are responding to the posters who are posting (very irreponsible) advice that dogs can make judgments on who is "good" or "bad" and you should just accept that they may hurt someone. It is that kind of advice that leads to attacks, an injured person and a dog usually paying with its life.

I hope you see a behaviourist soon and things get sorted.

Edited by megan_

"He was getting really rough with Dupree and was ignoring all my commands to stop"

How is this acceptable??

I would say that Kuma is smart enough to pick up the real emotions under the surface.

Are you SERIOUS? It's ok for a large breed dog to bite someone repeatedly despite the owner's commands to stop??

God, MM, I wouldn't want to be a guest in your house :rofl:

Glad the OP has spoken with Steve, you'll only get the greatest advice there :rofl:

Just a thought that popped into my head, and this is a serious question - by getting rid of Dupree out of the house now, is Kuma unintentionally being rewarded for his behaviour? He didn't want Dupree there so he acted out, and now Dupree will be going, so Kuma thinks his actions have worked? Just pondering, I certainly don't understand all the ins and outs of rank drive.

Glad the OP has spoken with Steve, you'll only get the greatest advice there :rofl:

Just a thought that popped into my head, and this is a serious question - by getting rid of Dupree out of the house now, is Kuma unintentionally being rewarded for his behaviour? He didn't want Dupree there so he acted out, and now Dupree will be going, so Kuma thinks his actions have worked? Just pondering, I certainly don't understand all the ins and outs of rank drive.

i was just about to write the same thing. maybe kumas behaviour needs to be reduced befre dupree leaves.

i dont know but steve will...good choice KA

I asked Steve that question, and he advises that Dupree going is probably the best option, as it will remove the antagonist and allow us to focus fixing the issue.

Dupree will be gone as of Thursday next week.

I asked Steve that question, and he advises that Dupree going is probably the best option, as it will remove the antagonist and allow us to focus fixing the issue.

Dupree will be gone as of Thursday next week.

:rofl: Awesome thanks for answering my query :)

Whats scary about it the dog was confused on where he stood against my son for rank (use to nip him on the legs and heels) the prong collar corrected it so what it wasn't all out aggression or I would have tackled the issue differently.

My son and dog have a great relationship now there is no issues with dominance and the dog listens to his commands. Problem solved

What's scarey is at least that your dog might have reacted quite differently and your son would have been right in the firing line. You found out it wasn't "all out aggression" by taking the dog on. Some dogs are more than prepared to defend their perceived higher rank. I'm bloody glad your dog wasn't one of them.

And its very scarey that you'd take your success based on one dog and transfer your method to another dog that you've never laid eyes on. The OP's dog isn't pushing around a 9 year old. He's doing it to a grown man.

Didn't transfer my method to another dog just telling what worked for me.

My dog is only a pup but he was testing the boundaries for a while.

Now he's a great dog since we have our pack structure sorted out.

I'm on the forum to learn, what should I have done different to stop the dominant issue using a positive conditioning method?

A dog will be receptive to your feelings and tensions, but it is not up to the dog to decide how to act on them. That is when things get scary. My own dog did what Kuma did once, when he was young, but at a friends place. Simply walked out of the room, we followed and he had the man in the corner of the kitchen, blocking his way and not letting him out or allowing him to touch him. Something about this bloke was not 100% to the dog, but still it is NOT his place to do this.

as I tell people, the truely dangerous dogs are the ones allowed to make up their own minds how to deal with everything and are allowed to do so. Sometimes intentionally, sometimes non intentionally.

(not saying your dog is dangerous KumaAkita just making a generalised statement ;))

A dog will be receptive to your feelings and tensions, but it is not up to the dog to decide how to act on them. That is when things get scary. My own dog did what Kuma did once, when he was young, but at a friends place. Simply walked out of the room, we followed and he had the man in the corner of the kitchen, blocking his way and not letting him out or allowing him to touch him. Something about this bloke was not 100% to the dog, but still it is NOT his place to do this.

as I tell people, the truely dangerous dogs are the ones allowed to make up their own minds how to deal with everything and are allowed to do so. Sometimes intentionally, sometimes non intentionally.

(not saying your dog is dangerous KumaAkita just making a generalised statement ;))

Totally agree Nek.

God, MM, I wouldn't want to be a guest in your house ;)

Good, then I don't have to say the obvious.

Yes, the obvious being that it's downright scary you'd be happy to let your dog bite someone repeatedly and think it was ok :eek: