Environmental Allergy Remedy

Hi Everyone.

Chester, my 2YO Chihuahua has been scratching his underside / neck and licking his front paws a fair bit for the last 2 weeks. It's not constant scratching and licking thats distressing him, nor is he losing sleep because of itching, but its enough for us to notice he is doing it too much.

there is no loss or discolouration of hair on either his underside or paws, and I ran my hands over his legs, chest and belly, but I couldn't feel any swelling, heat, lumps or abnormalities. I also tried giving him a medicated bath but that only worked for about a day (and made for a VERY unimpressed Chihuahua!!)

I gave him a flea treatment a week ago, due to him going to Doggy Day Care and mixing with a heap of other dogs, but that did nothing to help or exacerbate the scratching or licking.

it was suggested to me, due to the time of year, that its could be an environmental allergy.

So my big question is, has anyone used or has found a really good allergy remedy that alleviates itching? are there any other preventative measures I can take around this time of year to stop him getting too itchy?

thanks,

Charlene. :thumbsup:

So my big question is, has anyone used or has found a really good allergy remedy that alleviates itching? are there any other preventative measures I can take around this time of year to stop him getting too itchy?

thanks,

Charlene. :D

Unfortunately it's very much trial and error. Anti-histimines can work but work different in dogs than they do in humans and you may have to try all different brand - have a chat to your Vet about their reccomendation and also dossage rates.

If it's an evironmental allergy, rinsing your dog each day can help. Have you tried a barrier method such as a t-shirt that covers the belly and arm-pits?

Tahli is doing this too. She doesnt have any fleas or anything noticeable on the skin I have checked over and over. It's most likely environmental. I am going to try the t-shirt idea too otherwise making an appointment Wednesday to find out what to do. It's driving me nuts just seeing it!

Buster falls into this category too but unfortunately the tshirt idea will never work with him. Being a very active staffy pup there is no chance of it staying on. Either he or my other staffy will rip it off before I've made it out of the gate!