A Definitive Answer To Exercising?

SpotTheDog

Before anyone gives out to me, I DID do a search on this forum before I posted this thread, but I couldn't really find anything definitive, hence I'm asking at the risk of repeating an oft-repeated question. If it's been done to death, please feel free to link me to the thread and lock this one, coz I can't find it myself. :rofl:

I have a bull arab puppy, in as much as any dog is a bull arab, and 'puppy' for a non-specific age that I think is around 20-21 weeks (the joys of a rescue dog). He's currently tipping the scales at 14.1kgs, putting on just around 1kg a week still.

He's making a magnificent segue into selective deafness, at virtually five weeks to the day, so I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the stages of development sticky on this forum. :laugh:

The question I have now is exercise. I don't know the origins of this pup, so all I know is I've a medium to large size pup who puts on around 1kg per week, and is 14 kgs at 20 weeks. So how big is he going to be at the end of it all, and how much exercise should he be getting now? I'm trying not to over-exercise him because I've heard all about the stress on the joints, however he is prone to puppy exuberence and I'm not sure whether or not to try tiring him out. To be fair to him, he's a sweet boy and he settles quickly with some attention.

I don't let him jump in and out of the car (it's a captiva and he travels in the back so it's a bit of a jump in and out) but I do walk him nearly every day for about 25 mins or about 1.5kms I think, and if I haven't walked him it's because I've been out in our yard with him all day, doing some gardening (we've a relatively large yard, about 800m2 in total) and throwing a kong toy for him while I'm gardening so he's getting a lot of company and doing a good bit of running about.

So what should I be doing? Walks twice a day? More walks of shorter distance? Am I hopelessly under-exercising this dog? He doesn't get off the leash outside the yard, I'm not confident of his recall yet.

He's about as destructive as any puppy is though he loves his time at my feet in the evenings and snoozes very happily in his bed, ignoring my cats and the TV, so he's not quite climbing the walls yet, but I'm not sure when or how to ramp up his daily exercise.

All suggestions much welcome!

hmmm i think he is probly getting more then enough if not too much. i would not be doing anymore then you are maybe even less

Thanks for that. Is there any set info on when I can start ramping up the exercise? My big fear is a bored dog, and trying to balance boredom / destruction / over-exercising.

hmmm i think he is probly getting more then enough if not too much. i would not be doing anymore then you are maybe even less

Thanks for that. Is there any set info on when I can start ramping up the exercise? My big fear is a bored dog, and trying to balance boredom / destruction / over-exercising.

You could try also to tire him out by mental activities such as treat balls, scattering some of his meal in a few square meter patch of the garden and making him "find it", hide and seek where he finds you! Does he like swimming? You could have him on a long line! Or a kids paddling pool in the yard for him to splash in. :laugh:

vague rule of thumb for puppy exercise

5 minutes for each month of age.

I know someone who had a rotti puppy and she wouldn't walk her longer than 10 minutes at around 3 or 4 months of age. The bigger the bones the more gentle you need to be and you can't really depend on the puppy to let you know.

Maybe short sessions more often might work. And brain work. Eg free shaping with a clicker.

http://www.clickandtreat.com/Clicker_Train.../clickstart.htm

Of course I didn't find out this rule of thumb until my dog was about 6 months of age. And I was letting her set the pace. Ie we were doing half an hour or so twice a day on the local cricket ovals. But it was open format - ie she could run or not as she pleased.

Back when she was a puppy it wasn't hard to out last her. Things are different now.

It's probably because he LOOKS capable of more exercise that I feel like he should be having more.

You're right though, he probably needs more stimulation rather than exercise.

What suggestions has anyone got for home-made toys and brain-teasers? This is a pup that can reduce a tennis ball to two bald hemispheres in about 25 minutes. His kong toy has doubled as an excellent fetch toy - it bounces unexpectedly, rather like a rugby ball, when thrown and he loves that! He also has a favourite rope toy and that takes a lot of abuse.

Can't wait for puppy class to start in October...

At this point in time I think that is plenty of exercise for a large breed, especially while he is growing. I would focus more on games and training to tire him out mentally. You could begin teaching him basic obedience (if he doesn't already know it - sit, down, stand, stay, come) and also start teaching him tricks. This will allow you to interact with your puppy, and provide great mental stimulation for him. Good luck.

I would do 2 leash walks of 10-15 minute walks each, but REALLY working the dog ie. having him focussed on you, no sniffing or pulling, stopping at roads etc.

Free-running is fine and playing with other dogs his size for 10-15 minutes should be ok too.

I've heard throwing a toy or ball is not really good, it involves a lot of stopping and starting and is pretty rough on the joints.