Birds Eyes Do Not Look Right

k9angel

Our cockatiel Mogan's eyes appear to be red and look sore.

I have noticed changes the past few days. But tonight they look redder. It's like she has a layer or lump of flesh at the inner corner of each eye.

Pic will show what I mean.

She is normal otherwise, eating and drinking well. Oh but her feathers appear rather dull and flat too, not shiny and bright like usual.

I noted a little bit of white gunk floating around in her left eye earlier tonight also. I am thinking an infection of some sort.

I will get her to the vet in the morning for a check up.

Has anyone seen this before in their bird(s)?

5020068067_0c4229b0b9.jpg

Edited by k9angel

The vet has given panolog cream for his eyes. I have to apply it 3 times daily and be extra careful not to get it on his feathers as it has oil in it. The vet said if it gets on his feathers it will stay there until he molts.

He is on Jacks shoulder atm aswell as Mickey the budgie. :mad

ETA the vet did say the name of that part of his eye. It is an infection he has.

Edited by k9angel

Hoping it sorts itself out quickly :mad if you haven't already - increase his fresh greens .. and foliage browse - he needs those extra nutrients to heal :mad My boy is enjoying teh products of Spring - grasses/seeds/thistles/wattle blossoms/bottlebrush/gum branches/leaves .. all lovely . (unsprayed of course)

Psittacossis is very common in cockatiels and is often first noticed by the owner as an eye problem. Also sinus infections can show up as eye problems, discharge/swelling. Psitacossis is a zoonotic disease, one that is transferable to humans, so if you get chills, high fever, prolonged flu like symptoms or a dry persistant cough get yourself checked out by the doctor and be sure to mention that you keep birds.

Psittacossis is very common in cockatiels and is often first noticed by the owner as an eye problem. Also sinus infections can show up as eye problems, discharge/swelling. Psitacossis is a zoonotic disease, one that is transferable to humans, so if you get chills, high fever, prolonged flu like symptoms or a dry persistant cough get yourself checked out by the doctor and be sure to mention that you keep birds.

Thanks Curlygirl. That is interesting and certainly something I was not aware of.

Her eyes are much better this morning and she has been chirping non stop so must be feeling better. ;)

Oh and guess what? I have discovered she is 20 years old. I have spoken to Cassisi birds and they confirmed the numbers on her leg band include the year of birth. She has 90. I asked how long they live for and he said about 15 years. He said she has had a good innings thats for sure. I think I will call her Grandma Morgan from now on. ;)

ETA: We are not even 100% sure she is a she. I just assume she is a girl because she doesn't whistle much.

Edited by k9angel