What's Another Breed Selection Thread? Hehe.

tianakaesha

Ah okay no worries. I mustn't have read correctly.

Depending on wether they like the breed a Whippet may be what they are after. Not all like retrieving things, but both mine do one is as bad as my BIL's Border Collie.

They will nick off after bunnies and things and the recall does need to be trained from day dot.

They are however great with kids, very quiet in the house, no smell, very small amount of coat loss. They need either a good lead walk or a 20 minute or so off lead run and then they sleep on the lounge the rest of the time.

They do feel extremes of weather, so would need coats and inside in cold weather and inside in hot weather.

They are friendly, do not guard and love attention. They are a healthy breed and apart from the fact they feel extremes of weather and have fine skin they are a hardy healthy breed

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

Corgis are great, dependable family dogs IMO. Most I've met have not been the types to chase rabbits. My old corgi had zero interest in chasing rabbits. I raised a baby hare in my bedroom where she spent most of her time and the extent of her interest was to try to make him leave her alone, mostly. She occasionally ran at him to watch him bound away, but never actually chased him. She was a Pembroke. I don't know much about Cardigans, but I understand they are more calm and steady in temperament. My corgi was absolutely the kind of dog that would sit around in an unfenced yard waiting for people to come out of the house. She had a pretty good recall that I didn't train at all. Just a naturally easy dog.

Kivi, my Lapphund, is also a naturally easy dog, but I wouldn't call his coat low maintenance. It takes a bit of time to keep him looking gorgeous.

I also have a Swedish Vallhund, Erik. He is a lot of fun, but hasn't been particularly easy. He needs more exercise than the Lappie. He's the coolest little dog ever, brimming with confidence and very tough and game. He loves to chase balls and do other big dog things. He's outrageously smart, though. If I don't keep him entertained he'll find his own fun, and that rarely goes down well. I don't think they are a shoe-in for first time owners as they can be a bit quirky. Maybe it's just my experiences, but sometimes I think you need to be a bit unconventional to appreciate them. Or at least reasonably confident with dogs. And prepared to give them something to do with their minds. Erik NEEDS puzzles and problem-solving challenges.

The Cardigans are more laid back, but by the same token they're not as friendly to everyone as the Pems are - they prefer a proper introduction, and time to decide whether they're worth knowing!

They are (as are all corgis, it seems!) big shedders, but the coat is pretty easy care. Shandy is pretty smart, and likes plenty of stimulation, but she lives with two cats with no problems.