Harness To Lift Paralyzed Dog

dianed

My neighbors 13 yo Australian Shepherd has gone in the back legs. She is receiving vet care and is at home, tonight she had a cortisone injection. I am helping her lift Gypsy around with a towel under her belly but I wondered if anyone knows if those special handle harnesses are available in Australia.

If you contact Dr. Charles Kuntz at South Paws 03 9553 1775 they should be able to tell you where you can get them. I remember when I took my boy to see him (when he was at Southern Animal Referral Centre, who you could also contact 03 9532 5261) I met a girl whose dog was having paralysis issues and she'd just purchased one. I don't think it was the same as that linked by Sir WJ.

Lappiemum, It came on suddenly yesterday, dont know if its permanent. The vet xrayed her but nothing out of the ordinary showed up , she has arthritis and has been on Metacam. But what caused this we dont know. She can wag her tail but has no strength in her back legs.They had to take her off Metacam before giving her the cortisone injections.

Erny, Thanks, I will call that number tomorrow as I think it will be easier than a towel.

Lappiemum, It came on suddenly yesterday, dont know if its permanent. The vet xrayed her but nothing out of the ordinary showed up , she has arthritis and has been on Metacam. But what caused this we dont know. She can wag her tail but has no strength in her back legs.They had to take her off Metacam before giving her the cortisone injections.

Erny, Thanks, I will call that number tomorrow as I think it will be easier than a towel.

I hope they find the cause quickly, Dianed. I presume it is not a paralysis tick ?

Outward Hound make a simple sling-style harness which I have found easier to use with patients at work due to it not having to be slipped around the legs. They retail for about $50.00 and are available through many pet stores and vets. One of the suppliers that sells them is called "MIK MAK" if you are looking to get your local pet store to order it in.

If you go to www.worldforpets.com.au which is the RSPCA superstore, they definitely sell them in their store. If you can't find them on the website, just email Annette who runs the store (her email will be on the website) and she will be able to send you one if you'd like.