Husky Question

muzzal

Hi there,

Posted this in the noob section with little response. Thought I'd throw it out to the wider canine community...........

I've owned a sibe, Chloe, (rescued @ 2y/o)) for 10 years and she's getting on a bit now. I've been asked if I would be interested in sharing my life with a second sibe (18 month old) that needs a home urgently. I'm kind of leaning towards going ahead because I love the breed and don't want to see this dog go to a shelter or someone who doesn't understand the breed. I'm also thinking it may be a good idea to have a companion for Chloe as she's getting on in years and may find a new spark with a playmate.

Problem is I'm not sure if they will get on well or if Chloe is best left as single dog given her age. The other thing is Chloe spends nights indoors with us and I'm not sure whether a 2nd dog would follow suit (smallish house).

Anyone have an opinion either way? :)

muzzal

Is it possible for them to meet on nuetral territory to see how they get along?

Do you know much about the new dog?

It could go either way, Chloe could have a new lease of life with a buddy, my neighbours bought a cattle pup when their other dog was 16, and the old dog loves him ( well did,he was stolen 3 weeks ago :) ), i have never seen such an old duffer play bow ;)

However, Chloe could get annoyed with a youngster too.

Only you know Chloe, and wether she is comfortable.

Perhaps give it a go, and if it doesn't work out, then rehome the young one.

They will take a while to settle down aswell. ;)

Guest RANDCMOORE31

It really does depend on the natures of the two dogs. We bought a puppy when our older dogs were about 8 and 9 - and whilst we love them all dearly - in hindsight it wasn't the best idea. The youngster was too much for the older dogs - he was very full on - and stressed them out enormously - and as he's grown up - he's become very dominant - to the extent that my old guy who is now 14 - lives his whole life in fear. I think they deserved to live out their senior years without being usurped and upset by a younger generation. In a way it can be a bit like asking your 80 yo granny to take on a toddler.

I don't think there is a yes or no answer. Really depends on the dog(s) and the personalities.

I had a 13 year old dog, wanted a puppy of the same breed, decided to wait until first dog had passed so that she could live out her senior years peacefully.

Three years later, tired of waiting, and decided I want a puppy now!

Old dog did a great job of mothering the new puppy. It did give her a new lease on life. She became more energetic, showed more interest in life and seemed happier with company. Of course, I watched their intereactions, and made sure puppy did not pester or push the old dog. We two were partners in raising the puppy.

Could have gone pear shaped, but it didn't. Probably the best thing I ever did for her. She lived to the age of 22!.

Edited by Aussienot

Sibes in general love company - if this young dog gets along with your old girl, why not give it a shot.

However - you may run into problems if your not willing to let the second one sleep inside, they are pack dogs - and to have the rest of the pack inside at night while they are left outside might not go down to well lol

I don't see why a second sibe would be too much inside though - they don't really need that much space.

If there is a problem of keeping the other dog inside at night because of space, why not buy a crate? Zero loves his and will voluntarily go and put himself in it when he's had enough. If i'm going to friend's houses, I always take it with me - usually there ends up being a couple of dogs sharing it with him. He loves the company. It's an easy way for him to have some space without him spreading himself out or wandering from place to place.