Best Shampoo And Conditioner

Can any afghan owners please tell me what shampoos and conditioners they recommend, our girl has still got her puppy coat although she must be pretty close to changing to adult.

At the moment I am using double k grimeinator shampoo and kerri cot conditioner. She looks fine but I was wondering if something else migh be better suited.

If you got the Afghan from a show breeder you might want to discuss products with them. They should have an idea on the kinds of coats they have and the best products for them.

I would recommend Laser Lites too, but you use different products in the range for different coats. :)

Good luck!

Shilo's breeder uses Tresseme shampoo and conditioner, I was hoping to find a good dog product rather than a human one.

There is nothing wrong with Human products for dogs as long as it is diluted (1:10).

Most big name "dog" products are based on human formulations, including Laser Lites and Plush Puppy.

If you can keep a dog in top show condition with bathing every 5-7 days in human products for years on end, then what is the problem?

Just don't use the human shampoo & conditioner neat, it's too much.

We used (human) salon products for years and years on our coated dogs. I still use human shampoo and conditioner for maintenance baths because LaserLites is very expensive for keeping a number of dogs.

Most big name "dog" products are based on human formulations, including Laser Lites and Plush Puppy.

If you can keep a dog in top show condition with bathing every 5-7 days in human products for years on end, then what is the problem?

Add Squirt to that list - it's made by Joico.

I used Lustre Creme for many years until it was taken off the market. I was gutted. It was one of THE best shampoos around for almost all hair types. It was also handy to take away to show circuits because I only needed to pack one lot of shampoo for me and the dogs combined! :laugh:

OMG! :( Lustre Cream! :laugh:

I remember my grandparents used to have that in their guest room and it was for "special" :)

:o Used to be able to buy it at Coles up until about 4 years ago. I loved it. Excellent stuff.

That and the Vitapoint hair cream stuff my grandmother used to use. I found some in a box at a tip shop a few years ago and it brought back some amazing memories! :eek:

That and the Vitapoint hair cream stuff my grandmother used to use. I found some in a box at a tip shop a few years ago and it brought back some amazing memories! smile.gif

Oooohhhhh....Vitapoint was really expensive :( You're bringing back the memories for me Ellz!

Lowenhart I am not criticising her breeder but I can't use human products on customers dogs so I would rather spend money on something that I can use on dogs other than my own.

Why do people have to be so reactive to such a simple question???

WHOAH! - talk about reactive! :xmastree: Nicole - I can't see Lowenhart criticising anywhere here :rofl: Just offering some good information :o

Out of curiosity, why can't you use human products on customers dogs? :rofl:

And if you were to buy human stuff for your Afghan you could always use it on your own hair! :(

If I used human products on customers dog and any had a reaction then I am liable, at least if I am using products that say they are made for dogs it is much more simple just to try something else and the customers wont have a problem with that.

I have tried tresemme in the past and it ended up drying my hair out way too much.

I felt like I was being criticised for doing something different to her breeder.

If I used human products on customers dog and any had a reaction then I am liable, at least if I am using products that say they are made for dogs it is much more simple just to try something else and the customers wont have a problem with that.

I have tried tresemme in the past and it ended up drying my hair out way too much.

I felt like I was being criticised for doing something different to her breeder.

I was just pointing out that Human stuff is OK for dogs, as long as you dilute 1 part shampoo : 10 parts water. :rofl:

It's a common thing among non-show people to dismiss human products for dogs, claiming pH issues etc.

Well dogs can have a broad range of natural pH on their skin and simple chemistry says that you can make a solution from water and an alkaline or acid and make it more pH neutral.

So the Afghan is a client? Is it a show dog or just family pet? If it's a family pet you can use whatever dog brand you wish. For a show dog I recommend Laser Lites which just happens to be human base products from a human shampoo/condiditoner factory (well it was at the start) mixed to their formulation with a "Laser Lites" sticker on it. If it covers your butt then fine.

I've almost always used SOME human product on my dogs. Mainly because each dog is different, just as each human is different. Laser Lites is probably my dog range of choice but I have also used some Plush Puppy product on my OWN hair (and the Animal House Leave In Lustre is gorgeous on human hair too) and I still use my Plush Puppy pin brushes on my own hair as well! :rofl:

Whatever works really.....although I'm mindful of the silicon in Pantene and use a clarifying shampoo the bath after whenever I use that on the dogs for a show.

I still use my Plush Puppy pin brushes on my own hair as well! :rainbowbridge:

Did you know the Plush Puppy Pin brushes are Human wig brushes? I used to buy them for $5 each from Price Attack in Brisbane :cry: Norris Hair supply also used to sell them for about $7. I use them for my hair as well :( I get the ones with the bent pins that are no longer good for their coat, dogs come first! :(

Hi NicoleL

It is completely true that each dog's coat is different - and that trying heaps of different products will be the best way to find what workd for each particular dog.

If your Afghan has a 'cottony' type of coat - like this:

IMG_0013.jpg

you might find the Chris Christensen White on White shampoo + the Chris Christensen Spectrum Ten conditioner + Plush Puppy Swishy coat gives you that super-clean, every-hair-in-its-place feel...

or if your dog has a coat that is a little more like human hair in texture, like this:

IMG_0017.jpg

you might try The Barf Shop's Pamper Me Show Pro White Shampoo + Chris Christensen Spectrum Ten Conditioner + Chris Christensen Silk Spirit finish.

So... Pictures?