Any One With A Golden Retriever , Or Advice,

mgeyer

:rofl: Mgeyer for giving Jackson a loving home :laugh:

I agree with the suggestions of setting rules and boundaries for Jackson and no molly coddling. He will be more confident if he knows his place. Positive reward based training will add to his confidence.

Sardines and eggs are great for coats.

Wishing you many happy years together :mad

Good for you for giving Jackson a deserving home :laugh:

I dont have a lot of advice, Ive never had a rescue and Im only new to Goldens myself, I just wanted to wish you the best with Jackson, the poor fella has had a bad life but its all turned around now, take things slow with him and dont be worried if his training takes steps backwards sometimes, we cant always move forward all the time

Careful not to overfeed him, it is easy to get carried away with a rescue that you have in your head has been underfed and with all the different foods you want to give him to get him back into good condition.

Careful not to overfeed him, it is easy to get carried away with a rescue that you have in your head has been underfed and with all the different foods you want to give him to get him back into good condition.

:thumbsup: I did exactly that. This big framed Goldie whose coat had fallen out due to malnutrition and was only 22 kg, ballooned to 36 kg within months on a diet that also included a bowl of ice cream every time I had one :) Then I found DOL.

Firstly Thankyou for taking on a rescue..........They give so much back. I do not have Golden's but we take on newfie rescues. we have had timid ones too and I found fun obedience just makes all the difference. We also found agility type training gives the dogs great confidence and fun. You can almost see the dogs smile when they get on a "table" or do a "tunnel". And you do not have to have expensive equipment for this, just home-made stuff will do. One of our newfies was extremely timid, which led to aggression and we found training got her past all of that. you are very lucky that your Golden is sweet.

At present we have a sweet neglected newfie boy who also has to put on a lot of weight and who has a shocking coat. like you I just brush and get out some more knots daily. We feed our boy three meals a day now, but we started with four. He has put on 8 kg slowly. We feed RAW, with kelp, glucosamine, Vit C and E as additives. But I am sure any good diet would do.

I do not pussy-foot around my rescues too much..I am quieter with the nervous ones, but I try to be as normal as possible. to get them into normal life. I move and behave normal around them, sothat they get used to being treated well and treated like everyone would most likely treat them. I found I was very soft with our first rescue and this did not help him in the normal world around him. he was still very nervous around Jo average. So we changed our tactics after a great dog trainer told us, now treat him like all your other dogs and get on with it.

Our present boy Tobias was also treated unkindly, we think, because if you move towards him with a broom he flinches and reacts, but we have now made him see that a broom here does no harm. I think I am lucky in the fact we have other dogs, who are happy and playful.

I hope your sweet Jackson has a happy life now :(