Male Desexing

Marley'z Mum

Hi all

Marley goes in next week to be desexed, a few people have said to me "it will settle him down a bit" as i havent owned many male dogs i was just curious to know if people think this is actually the case........ I have to admit marley doesnt need alot of settling down, he is really very good apart from a couple times a day having a manic hour or so, which im pretty sure is normal hehe, im just wondering if having him fixed is going to change him much? Not that its going to change my mind he is still getting desexed.... Would just love to know what people think?? :-)

Hi all

Marley goes in next week to be desexed, a few people have said to me "it will settle him down a bit" as i havent owned many male dogs i was just curious to know if people think this is actually the case........ I have to admit marley doesnt need alot of settling down, he is really very good apart from a couple times a day having a manic hour or so, which im pretty sure is normal hehe, im just wondering if having him fixed is going to change him much? Not that its going to change my mind he is still getting desexed.... Would just love to know what people think?? :-)

No, it is unlikely to have a dramtic effect on him. One of the boys in puppy class even started marking in the house after coming back from desexing :D

Frankly I think the end of adolesence has more effect.

generally or roughly at what age is the end of adolesence or is it different for different dogs and breeds?

It differs but in the case of my boys (Mini Poodles and a Whippet) I'd have said between 16-18 months. The worst period with some dogs is definitely 7-10 months IMO. That's the "you're not the boss of ME" stage. Witness the number of young dogs offloaded on pound at that age. :thumbsup: No longer cute babies and if no training's been done - absolute handfuls sometimes.

Thanks pf no need to worry bout marley bein offloaded, for me that would be like giving up one of my kids, that might be easier ;-) kidding...... So far marley is pretty good, listens most of the time to me and all the time to OH mind u we are only at 6months lol........ Is 6 months a good age to get them desexed?

Thanks pf no need to worry bout marley bein offloaded, for me that would be like giving up one of my kids, that might be easier ;-) kidding...... So far marley is pretty good, listens most of the time to me and all the time to OH mind u we are only at 6months lol........ Is 6 months a good age to get them desexed?

You find find there is a lot of debate around that question :thumbsup:

But it is commonly accepted that it is ideal for large and giant breed dogs to be castrated at around 18 months in order for them to fully develop and for females to be desexed after the first season.

By desexing at 6 months, or before maturity you can affect bone and muscle development, as hormones that are involved in regulating this are removed.

Ultimately, it is your decision and many dogs are desexed at 8 weeks to 6 months with no problems.

Hi MM, as Marley's not a large breed, I don't think the large breed rules apply here, so in my opinion 6 months is a perfect age to desex - he's not too young but is still young enough not to have developed any of the behaviours that go with being an entire male.

In terms of 'desexing settling a male dog' I think that phrase is open to interpretation. My take is that whoever first said it meant that it will settle the dog's tendency to wander. Entire males are a little led by their hormones and are more likely (not written in stone, just more likely) to be wanderers and escape artists, especially if they can scent a female in season in the area. Desexing will also often help with male-male dog aggression, a desexed dog is less likely to have those issues, so in that sense, you could say "yes, it will settle the dog." Will it change him from a manic young juvenile into an instantaneous well behaved adult? Not a chance! :( And if his inherent nature is to be slightly nuts, then he will always be slightly nuts. My Ella is 8 going on 2. She's a hyperactive dag (yes I meant dag, not dog) but she's fun. Constantly challenging and not a dog for everybody (to the point of more than likely being non-rehomable, not that I ever would) but I love her to pieces.

Training, training and more training will help to settle a dog down to an extent. It has the triple benefit of increasing the obedience factor and helping to create a good canine citizen, giving the dog valuable bonding time with the owner, and exercising both the dog's mind and body.

BTW, I spotted you reading the M&M thread so thought I'd stalk you :thumbsup: and check out some of your topics, which is how I found this one. Marley's a cutie pie that's for sure, and regarding the skittishness with cars, he may be going through one of his fear periods, someone more in the know can let you know about them or you can do a forum search. I can never remember the ages at which fear periods apply.

My 2 females are desexed and I will soon be desexing my 11 month old male ACD. He can be quite exuberant. I don't expect him to calm down from it and am doing it for the prevention of possible testicular cancer which my last ACD developed at age 10. Cured with surgery.

I wanted Bandit to have his growth mainly done before doing it. His female litter mate was desexed at 6 months.

The ONLY change desexing will bring is the inability to sire puppies.

It will not cure anything.

There is no miracle cure for behavioural traits, except understanding, training and patience. :)

There is no miracle cure for behavioural traits, except understanding, training and patience. :(

The other bonus is that he will not be marking his territory. People forget that their male dog can smell the bitch on heat down the road & further away.

Never noticed any change in my many desexed dogs over the years apart from this, which is good.

There is no miracle cure for behavioural traits, except understanding, training and patience. :(

The other bonus is that he will not be marking his territory. People forget that their male dog can smell the bitch on heat down the road & further away.

Never noticed any change in my many desexed dogs over the years apart from this, which is good.

Desexed dogs can still mark their territory.

castration doesn't necessarily remove that urge.

We had our Chihuahua puppy desexed yesterday and so far he is still the same. Nothing has changed he still runs around like a lunatic and is a happy playful pup. The vet told us we had to keep him quiet for the next 10 days. We just laughed and asked how we were supposed to do that. His stitches don't seem to be worrying him and he seems to be leaving every thing alone.

Good luck with Marley's desexing. Hope all goes well. :)

Today must be DOL Poor Boy Dog Snip Day!! Clastic's Mars and Max#1's Max are both at the vet's getting the snip today as well!!! Good luck to Marley. :p Hope all goes well.

Elbie was totally fine after his procedure - a bit licky of his stitches but he didn't need an Elizabethan Collar.

Edited by koalathebear

Yeah good luck! And good luck with the recovery.

We are home safe and sound now. He seems fine, though a bit licky, and tired. We have a collar, but I'll be lucky if I can figure out how to use the thing!!!

The vet nurse said, 'we pinched his pockets'. I thought that was a lovely way of putting things!

Thanks peeps.... Just heard from vet, going to get my boy in bout half hour..... He had a tooth pulled aswell coz his baby canine didnt fall out but adult one grew in anyway..... Im a lil worried marley will be licky coz he can tend to be a licky dog anyway....

Hope all the boys that have had the "snip" today are doing well :-)

Thanks clastic, marley is driving me a little nutty with the licky, its probably not that bad i am just worried he will pop the stitches or something.... He has the collar (cone) but he drives me a lil nutty when he has that on aswell coz he walks into everything lol.....

I am wondering if the stitches are pinching him a little he seems to be resting then he will jump almost like something has just bit him.... What do u think?

Hope the other boys are doing well