Puppy & Snakes

Marley'z Mum

Ok just had a rather scary experience with my 6month old puppy and a rather large dugite (spelling?) in my backyard..... the thing came under the fence from next door and the dog spotted it and started barking like mad his hackles went up and he wanted to chase it or go after it, untill the snake turned on him and I could finally grab him and take him inside...

now I know this is probably a really stoopid question, but is there a way to make the dog run FROM a snake rather than stand there barking and lungin at it, as you can imagine I could have lost my lil marley today, as had the snake struck at him it would have killed him.... I am not a lover of snakes and I am still shaking lol as I crapped myself I had to get a lil closer than I would have liked to stop the dog.

my worry now is, Marley spends days outside on his own while I am at work, so I am worried if we get another visit from a snake and no-one is home to stop the dog he might get a lil to close... :-(

Oh gosh, that is scary. I don't have any suggestions sorry but in addition to Elbie's obedience training at our obedience club, we are also doing general behavioural training with a private behaviourist/trainer (small class of about 5-6 only) where we go over things like car manners (getting in and out of cars). One of the items that the trainer is happy to discuss is "snake avoidance" and "wildlife and livestock chasing" (we haven't discussed it yet, though) - perhaps you could see if any of the instructors at your obedience school knows about snake avoidance techniques and can teach them? I wouldn't try a do it yourself approach from the Internet - I'd feel safer going with a trainer.

ETA: I am glad little Marley is safe!

Edited by koalathebear

I can certainly sympathize it is bloody scary watching your dog in a life threatening situation. Only last Saturday we were out on a walk, all 4 of mine and a friends dog off lead when we came across a snake, my youngest had his nose on it before I realized what it was, I ran like crazy and called Bron and he came strait away thank goodness and then I made lots of noise to get the others to come quickly and not notice the snake on the way past (thank god it was off to the side of the track) I was lucky all of my lot came to me and crisis averted.

This is the second snake we have come across the first one was when Cooper was about 6 months old and he ran past it twice but didn't see it, luckily as he is the most curious of my four. I know it is hard to do in the back yard if there is a snake but my best defence has been run the other way, mine will come running if they think Im going without them. Or I have a special word I use in emergencies which I say in a really high pitched voice and they alwasy get treated if the special word has to come out which is not very often, but occasionally I will use it kind of like a fire drill so they don't forget!! :D

I have no advice of what to do if a snake comes in your yard and your not home, We have never had one in the back yard but just over the back fence a big brown one sitting on a pile of dirt sunning itself. My lot stay inside when I'm not home. Glad your pup is ok, but maybe you need a still drink to calm the nerves!! I totally know how you feel.

Bloody hell, you would have a heart attack if that happened, well I would anyway :D

My OH when he was a lot younger before we were together had a big cat that used to bring snakes home! :laugh:

Bloody hell, you would have a heart attack if that happened, well I would anyway :laugh:

My OH when he was a lot younger before we were together had a big cat that used to bring snakes home! :D

Definitely a gift I could go without. I'm actually not sure WHAT I would do in that situation. I am definitely going to ask our trainer to teach our dogs snake aversion - although perhaps living in the Canberra 'burbs I'm relatively safe from snakes. We're surrounded on 3 sides by other houses and roads on the other - no fields or forest areas immediately adjoining our yard... :D

Edited by koalathebear

We're surrounded on 3 sides by other houses and roads on the other - no fields or forest areas immediately adjoining our yard...

so am I KTB, there is a park down the road approx 7 houses away that has some bush land next to it, but there are houses all up the road, I am surrounded by houses and road but didn't stop this snake turning up in my yard...

I have no idea what a dugite is but it sounds really scary!

it is a rather large deadly snake.... if it had bit the dog, I would have lost him.... it was approx 1.5metre's in length, the guy that came out to get it said he has seen them bigger than that, hopefully I never have to see one bigger than that in my backyard

Oh Marley'z Mum!!! You poor thing.

Dugites are one of the most dangerous snakes, and are only found in WA (as far as I am aware). I remember seeing one on my uncles farm when I was a kid... I quite literally crapped myself and was in hysterics. I am petrified of snakes. I won't even go and look at them when I go to the zoo.

Can you set snake traps? Is there such a thing?

I'd be finding a way to keep Marley inside.

I know a trainer SOR who is interested in 'crittering' training using an e-collar. I have no love for aversive training, but associating snakes (or showing interest in a snake) with a mild shock is better than risking a bite. PM me for contact details if you're interested.

I know a trainer SOR who is interested in 'crittering' training using an e-collar. I have no love for aversive training, but associating snakes (or showing interest in a snake) with a mild shock is better than risking a bite. PM me for contact details if you're interested.

Your dog may leave the snakes alone if trained, maybe, but

Will the snakes leave your dog alone ?

Dog may not see the snake & tread on it, end of dog, he won't last until you are home from work if bitten.

Keep him inside when you are not home next time may be fatal.

Scary stuff.

Oh Marley'z Mum!!! You poor thing.

Dugites are one of the most dangerous snakes, and are only found in WA (as far as I am aware). I remember seeing one on my uncles farm when I was a kid... I quite literally crapped myself and was in hysterics. I am petrified of snakes. I won't even go and look at them when I go to the zoo.

Can you set snake traps? Is there such a thing?

I'd be finding a way to keep Marley inside.

Dugites are a brown snake and grow very large! The biggest I have ever seen would have been over 6 foot long and muscley - it was as thick as my upper arm! Amazing to watch it moving - that was after I got over the heart attack of walking along and seeing it!

You can get snake traps, they are a no kill trap and the problem is they get themselves in there but someone has to get them out!

It would be best to either leave him inside or make a dog run covered in shadecloth, dug into the ground or put snake mesh around your fence.

Having said that a friend of mine came home to two dogs locked inside and a very torn up tiger snake with crap all over the \ceiling. They still to this day have no idea how it got in the house. The two dogs luckily were not bitten.

As a general rule Brown snakes just cruise through and only get het up if cornered. It is the Tigers that get feisty really quickly, they usually need very little excuse.

Keep your yard free of any tin, wood piles etc, that will also help them to not want to stay.

It is however a down side of living in Oz. That is why after 5 snakes this season and 3 in three days right near the house/dog runs I was going to buy a one-way ticket to New Zealand!

Oh and this is a brown snake, was around a 5 footer.

post-23623-1287157974_thumb.jpg

OSoSwift 6ft??? The one that was at my place was bout 4ft that was big enough for me.... Unfortunately its not possible to keep him inside though in saying that my OH who works shift work an is usually asleep while i am at work must have been worried coz the first day the kids where at school an not able to watch him he let marley sleep with him during the day... Tis kinda cute an funny coz OH spends alot of time joking bout making him live outside "hes a dog thats where they belong ;-)"

Luckily if he continues to sleeo with OH there is only bout a hour crossover where he is outside alone so fingers crossed...

If i have anymore visitiors though i might be joining you on that flight lol..... Oh an we get tigers round here to well there is a sighn up the park bout them