Crying In The Car

My stumpy tail cattle dog X Jessie (approx.6 years old) has recently become vocal during car trips...she will cry for about the first 10 minutes on the way, and for about the first minute on the way home. Jessie has always been a velcro dog with my mum, but my mum has been away for the past couple of weeks. Jessie has coped very well...she was a bit sooky for the first couple of days, but she seems very happy and content. She has become friendlier with me and she really loves going out to the park when I take her...she never used to be that fussed about going anywhere with me, but in the last few months she has really grown to love coming out with my other dog and I, and she seems to enjoy herself even more at the park since my mum has been away.

She has always been pretty well behaved in the car for myself and my dad (not for my mum though...she behaves so bad in the car with my mum that she basically cannot go in there with her because she will just bark hysterically the whole car ride). Normally when I take Jessie out she will bark before she gets in the car, will bark twice nearly everytime I close the boot and then she is normally quiet for the rest of the car ride. Her crying is really frustrating to listen to though and she is also doing the same thing when my dad takes her out, so it is not just with me. It has just started since my mum has been away though.

In general she has always been a very vocal dog with grumbling, "talking", crying and barking. The first couple of days that we had her we thought we had gotten a quiet dog, but nope, the poor thing had kennel cough!

What can I do to stop the crying in the car?

Edited by fainty_girl

• 4 weeks later...

She might just make a noise coz she's excited. My girl does it too. She's not upset - tho she sounds like she is. She's just talking to me about how thrilled she is. After a while she stops. No big deal. I'm kinda used to it and I don't really want to make her shut up if she's just communicating. :D It's sort of joyous in a way.