My First Show Coming Up!

Oliversmum

Hi all,

My baby Frenchie has his first show next weekend. He is walking well on the lead some of the time, other times he throws little tanties on the ground or if he doesn't feel like walking, he will begrudgingly walk beside me but lays his ears sideways :( , making him look absolutely miserable.

I use treats, a little squeaky toy and lots of praise and we are getting there, but I guess my question is, what is expected of baby puppies in the ring? I hope it's not too silly a question, I'm just very nervous and want us to have fun.

thanks

Shells

Hi all,

My baby Frenchie has his first show next weekend. He is walking well on the lead some of the time, other times he throws little tanties on the ground or if he doesn't feel like walking, he will begrudgingly walk beside me but lays his ears sideways :( , making him look absolutely miserable.

I use treats, a little squeaky toy and lots of praise and we are getting there, but I guess my question is, what is expected of baby puppies in the ring? I hope it's not too silly a question, I'm just very nervous and want us to have fun.

thanks

Shells

Most judges will allow naughty behaviour from babies, mine (who is almost 6 months too) still won't stand still, she would much rather wiggle her whole body at the judge. :)

It's my baby girls first show next weekend as well, I am really not expecting anything from her at all, she knows how to walk properly and stand but it will be a brand new environment so she may 'forget'.

Judges are lenient on babies so don't worry, you can even let the steward and judge know it's her first show but I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure she has a fun time in the ring :)

Well I have been showing Staffordshire Bull Terriers now for 24 years and my French Bulldog baby (4mths) does BIG tantrums on the lead lol my own fault he is so very spoiled :laugh: Dont feel embarassed the penny will drop - baby puppy classes IMO are for them to have fun, they are a long time in the Open Class. There is photographic evidence on Facebook of my boys tantrums....ooops !

Although I will confess to some 5min training classes this week after work - hubby is showing him this weekend while I am away judging

Good luck with you baby and most of all ENJOY.

Justine

I know exactly where you are coming from Shellsboers, I was really worried and nervous too but the judges were fantastic and very welcoming to both my pup and myself.

Go out, have some fun and let the puppy enjoy it too, don't stress.

Good luck :laugh: