Whats The Best Tick Prevention?

I use Advantix every two to three weeks. I buy the largest pack then squeeze it into a very small container & use a small needleless syringe to measure the appropriate amount to use on her. The amount is .1ml per kg of dog. On my 18 kilo dog I give a little extra ...about 2.2 to 2.5 ml. this way it works out a lot cheaper. From November to February I also put her on Proban. However even with both Advantix & Proban being used she still gets covered in little grass ticks & sometimes I resort to the Permoxin as well. Unfortunately, the ticks have to still attach & bite before they die & fall off. Sometimes I feel I am really giving her a chemical overload....but what is the alternative :)

TBH A tick will kill a dog much quicker than a possible chemical overload from correct use of tick preventatives. If you're worried about chemical overload you could also get annual or half yearly blood tests done to check liver function etc.

I've heard of dogs being on both advantix and frontline that have still gotten ticks anyway.

And tick collars generally only cover the head and neck area (most common place to find a tick though).

What is the season for ticks?

I've had proban suggested for me but with the size of my dogs someone told me that I'd have to give them about 5 tablets each per day and it was about $50 for 100 tablets? That would be a massive cost!

I think I'm going to use the advantix again this year (I've been told it's really bad for ticks atm because of all of the rain..)but I'd rather use it for as little time as possible as Bakari gets really lethargic after I put it on him...

I've had proban suggested for me but with the size of my dogs someone told me that I'd have to give them about 5 tablets each per day and it was about $50 for 100 tablets? That would be a massive cost!

I think I'm going to use the advantix again this year (I've been told it's really bad for ticks atm because of all of the rain..)but I'd rather use it for as little time as possible as Bakari gets really lethargic after I put it on him...

The dose is 1 tablet per 10 kilo of dog every second day. So with my 18 kilo dog I get 100 days for 100 tablets, which just about covers the really bad season in our area. I get them on-line from this person for $58 plus postage, which is pretty cheap.

www.callicoma.com.au

Edited by sheena

The dose is 1 tablet per 10 kilo of dog every second day. So with my 18 kilo dog I get 100 days for 100 tablets, which just about covers the really bad season in our area. I get them on-line from this person for $58 plus postage, which is pretty cheap.

www.callicoma.com.au

Ok thanks.... so 100 tablets would last me 9 doses :laugh:

I found Advantix better than Frontline when we lived in a high paralysis tick area, but I think it pays to swap between the two.

Nothing beats a twice-daily search though, particularly with a shaggy or scruffy dog. Don't rely 100% on chemical prevention. Once you get into a routine it's easy - took me a while to break the habit after we moved to WA.

www.callicoma.com.au

Ok thanks.... so 100 tablets would last me 9 doses :cheer:

If your dog weighed 111 kilos :D , then yes you would get only 9 doses....but that is a very big dog. For my 18 kilo dog I get 50 doses (100 tablets).