Bloody Dogs Keeping Me Poor

Well, I took the dogs out for their last toilet stop last night, muzzled Lilly in case of cane toads but let her out off-lead. The "resident" possum happened to choose the moment Lilly hit the grass to run across the top of the side fence, meaning Lilly gave chase and of course started leaping about in attempts to catch stoopid possum. Unfortunately she cut her front leg open, very badly, so we rushed her to the pet emergency vet...to fix a gaping wound.

We had to wait, then the vet gave us a quote, but the staples didn't work so she said to try stitching or we could remove the flap and leave an open wound. We said to do whatever would be best for Lilly...so she stitched it.

The whole thing cost over $300 but it was Sunday night.

Still, I'm broke and Lilly is a little worse for wear.

Why didn't I put her on lead like I usually do??

I hope when I do a wound check and dress it tonight that it's healing. :D

Please send healing vibes her way...the silly thing is all pouty and princess-ey about it today. :laugh:

Edited by lillysmum

I know what you mean Lilysmum! Our girl has cost us a small fortune since we bought her in April, and will continue to do so, but we know she appreciates it and loves us to bits, as I'm sure Lily does for you.

Lots of love and healing vibes coming your way!

Cheers!

Lis & Babe :rofl:

Thanks everyone.

I did a dressing change last night. The wound looks fine, stitches are holding for the moment. Then this morning, I can see she's started to work the vet wrap off so I've laid a new section of bandage over the top (in a different colour to the original). Let's hope she stays away from it otherwise we'll have to look at a bucket...which I'm sure she will love! :rofl:

Sendign healing vibes for poor Lily.

Maybe this will make you feel a bit better Lillysmum - your vet fees sound very reasonable compared to Sydney prices ..... in April I spent $1580 at the emergency vet & my vet when my kelpie ended up with a gaping wound around his eye ...... then in June, another $1800 was spent at the emergency vet on my 9 year old westie who had a possible obstruction which started out as bloat ....... :rofl::)

All they did was stitch a small flap - seven stitches in total. Plus AB's for a week and an injection for tetanus. The consult fee was $110 which I thought reasonable though for a Sunday night. :rofl:

$110 sounds more reasonable than $180 for a sunday arvo.

All they did was stitch a small flap - seven stitches in total. Plus AB's for a week and an injection for tetanus. The consult fee was $110 which I thought reasonable though for a Sunday night. :rofl:

$110 sounds more reasonable than $180 for a sunday arvo.

Agreed.

How's Cody doing now?

I have been a little worried about him to be honest...