Use Of A Runner In The Ring

Keshwar

I've searched the ANKC rules and regs and the VCA rules and regs and can't find anything to do with using a runner in the ring.

My understanding is that it is at the discretion of the Judge. But I can't find this in writing.

Anyone know what the rules are about using a runner are - specifically for a show in Victoria? :rofl:

I've been seeing this a lot lately and all for good reasons. I personally don't have any issues with it, nor should anyone else really, including the judge. The owner tends to go stack the dog and handle the exam part, with the runner standing quietly behind. When the judge instructs the dog to be moved, the runner simply steps in, takes the lead and goes.

I would rather see this sort of thing, than someone struggle to move a dog, show it poorly because of their lack of mobility due to physical issues.

Guest CaptainCourageous

There was a piece about this in the Dog Stewards' Association newsletter not long ago.

The rule is one handler per exhibit in the ring at any one time.

The swap-overs must take place at the ring entrance or ring boundary.

It's still slightly awkward, especially if the incapacitated handler has to be in position with the dog a long way from the boundary. Also, the handlers don't seem to want to go outside the ring, they incorrectly think that everything needs to be done urgently.

Also, if judges are flexible with the implementation of a strict rule then it causes inconsistent expectations amongst exhibitors.

CC

There was a piece about this in the Dog Stewards' Association newsletter not long ago.

The rule is one handler per exhibit in the ring at any one time.

The swap-overs must take place at the ring entrance or ring boundary.

CC

interesting ... I have seen on many occasions the owner in the ring stacking the with the "runner" standing there ready to take over.

surely in order for it work both have to be in the ring?

cheers

OK so...? I gather you want something in wiriting to cover your bases?

Not really just wanted to know what the rule was. But after looking in the rules and regs couldn't find anything specifically regarding runners.

It's just nice to know that you are doing things correctly when you need to do something a bit unusual.

Also the show were I will probably be a runner is in Vic which isn't where we usually show.

Edited by Keshwar

Oh I see :laugh: if CC is correct then it's not so straight-forward...

And that's my problem - there seem to be various understandings and localised "rules" for the use of a runner.

I was hoping to find the definitive ruling but apparently there is nothing publicly available in writing for exhibitors.

Keshwar perhaps the best way of getting a definitive answer is to contact the Club Secretary and outline the issue for the Club's determination??

I know its run under the auspices of the VCA but at least this way you won't surprise anyone. Judge, steward and Club Committee will all know.

Edited by poodlefan

what I have written is for Qld - both people in the ring - one stands back and awaits the dog to be turned over to them. It isn't set down in a step-by-step procedure - common sense has to prevail....may be different in other states....

PF - not up to the club - or at least not in Qld - up to the steward on the day......

Edited by Fit for a King

what I have written is for Qld - both people in the ring - one stands back and awaits the dog to be turned over to them. It isn't set down in a step-by-step procedure - common sense has to prevail....may be different in other states....

PF - not up to the club - or at least not in Qld - up to the steward on the day......

Well if the club's organising the steward FFK, the issue might be raised with that person via the Club before the day.

Personally I don't think its particularly fair to have someone travel interstate hoping to be able to exhibit and leave it all up to the steward's decision on the day of the show. :laugh:

Guest CaptainCourageous
Keshwar perhaps the best way of getting a definitive answer is to contact the Club Secretary and outline the issue for the Club's determination??

I know its run under the auspices of the VCA but at least this way you won't surprise anyone. Judge, steward and Club Committee will all know.

It's a VCA rule to be implemented at the ring by the steward. If we start having Show Secretaries getting involved it will get more difficult, as their opinions would still be subject to the VCA rule.

It's a VCA rule to be implemented at the ring by the steward. If we start having Show Secretaries getting involved it will get more difficult, as their opinions would still be subject to the VCA rule.

If it's a VCA rule where can I find it?

What is the point of a rule if exhibitors are unable to find it in the organizations published rules and regs?

What is the point of a rule if exhibitors are unable to find it in the organizations published rules and regs?

Hi,

My suggestion would be to ring the VCA and find out if there is a rule and where do you find it in the Rule Book eg the Chapter number. Get a copy of it. You do not have to take this to Club Secretary level. Just tell the Steward at the start of your breed that you use a runner, if you need any medical cert etc present them and if there are any further question give the Steward a copy of the relevant page out of the Rule Book. I truly think you wont need to do this........but it's best to be prepared.

Hi,

My suggestion would be to ring the VCA and find out if there is a rule and where do you find it in the Rule Book eg the Chapter number. Get a copy of it. You do not have to take this to Club Secretary level. Just tell the Steward at the start of your breed that you use a runner, if you need any medical cert etc present them and if there are any further question give the Steward a copy of the relevant page out of the Rule Book. I truly think you wont need to do this........but it's best to be prepared.

I have already spoken to VCA and am happy with what I was told by them.

However CaptainCourageous has suggested there is another rule so I am hoping that they can tell me where to find it. No mention of this extra rule was made by the person I talked to at VCA.

I would like some clarification from CaptainCourageous about where this extra rule has been published and if it is viewable by general exhibitors.

Hi,

Would this 'extra' rule be in the ANKC Rule Book. Which is also available on line and might be a good thing to check and have a copy of also........if there is one. Cheers

I've searched the ANKC rules and regs and the VCA rules and regs and can't find anything to do with using a runner in the ring.

This quote is from my original post!