To Cut Or Not To Cut?

So I dont really know how or when this happened but Banjo has this huge mass of strange frizzy hair from his bumb to his knees.... its really quite long... from the back it looks like he is wearing a grass skirt lol..

OH reckons we should cut it all off but I dont know... it doesnt seem to bother him and I have never noticed any 'dags' but with summer coming up and to make him not look so freaky maybe we should?

What should we do?

Below is a pic... you can see in the bottom right corner :-P

Would this be a job for a proffesional or can I just cut it myself?

Banjo123.jpg

I dont know what it is. The rest of his fur is pretty thin and barely needs a brush so I am not sure if he has an undercoat? (if thats possible).... its really thik and long lol! no other part of him is like that...

Coat king- is that like the furminator?

The picture doesn't look abnormal to me, it looks likely regular medium/long coated dog hair.

I have Border Collies (medium coat) and have never had dags unless a particularly bad case of the runs happen. I've also found, wherever I've cut dog hair, it always grows back longer and thicker than before.

As someone with a naked bum breed, I would be inclined to trim some of it off, so it is in balance with the rest of his coat.

IMO it will look more out of balance if it gets chopped off. My dog's head doesn't have long fur but I'm not going to trim the rest of her to that length so it matches, she'd look silly...