How Do I Stop My Pup From Jumping Up At The Kids

angelnkids

hi everyone

my pup gets too excited sometimes and jumps up at the kids (who are 4 and 21 months), and licks them to death etc, im not sure what the best way to stop it, i read somewhere u should turn your back on the pup and ignore, but thats very hard to stop my 2 young children from doing that and understanding why.

any advice be great

thanks

tracy

When my oldest dog (now 4) was a pup I was loking after children at home (family day care) and I had a system I used, the kids 3 and 4 year olds had to turn thier back on Cooper and put thier arms up to thier chest so he couldn't grab thier hands. My system was if they could do this and get Cooper to stop jumping up at them, each time he sat quiet after jumping because they had turned thier back and put thier arms up, the dog got a treat and the kids got a smartie. It really didn't take long at all (maybe a 4 days to a week) for Cooper to learn it was more benificial not to jump as the kids didn't play when he did.

Not sure how you would go with your young child but your 4 year old should understand. What breed of puppy are we talking about? Cooper wasn't huge but not quite big enough to knock a 3 year old over but it was a real pain to have him jumping on the kids. You really need to get the whole family on the same page with the method you use, and In my opinion ignoring is the best method.

Also if you can pre empt the jumping and get the pup to sit and reward he will soon learn that jumping gets him no where.

Edited by tlc

While pup and kids are so young, some management is required. Keep the pup on lead around the kids and separate them when you can't supervise.

Teaching a 'sit' can help but the kids must learn not to rev the pup up and you can use the lead to GENTLY make the pup get off them. Reward any behaviour you want to encourage.

The kids are too young to train the pup. That job must fall to you.

Edited by poodlefan

thanks for the advice

we have an outdoor area for him which he can see inside the house, so when i cant 100% supervise hes out there, and hes pretty happy, ill just try small regualr sessions with the children when i dont have anything to do.

My eldest is old enough to understand but the youngest isnt, it will be a little easier when we can start takin him for parks and he can come to the park with us

thanks

tracy

Hi :bolt:

I like tlc's idea :laugh:

But also definitely reccommend pf's idea considering you have such a littly at home as well.

attach pup to your belt with a shortish lead. encourage pup to follow you. Because he will always be with you, you are right there to reward or redirect him :)

• 2 weeks later...

:laugh:

hi everyone

my pup gets too excited sometimes and jumps up at the kids (who are 4 and 21 months), and licks them to death etc, im not sure what the best way to stop it, i read somewhere u should turn your back on the pup and ignore, but thats very hard to stop my 2 young children from doing that and understanding why.

any advice be great

thanks

tracy

Have a look for a "puppy school" in your area,call a local vet,they should be able to help you,in many cases they run one,it's not expensive. I have seen some brilliant transformations as to what they teach puppies & owners in weeks.