Little Puppy Or Bigger Puppy?

parrotpea

Hi there

I am about to purchase a new staffy pup and am waiting on news when litters arrive as to when/if I will be able to get one. One of the breeders has offered me a 9 mth old staffy girl who looks lovely but I am unsure as to whether she will fit into our family well at this age. I have two young children, and two other staffies. I am after suggestions for questions I should ask the girl's owner, so far, I will ask:

*Has she been around children, how much time does she spend around them - has it been supervised?

*How is she around the children?

*How is she with other dogs - what contact has she had?

A big part of me is quite concerned and would prefer to be starting from scratch as a lot of bad habits and behaviours can develop in 9 months, but part of me also thinks that she could be good, and that I wouldn't have to do all the tricky little puppy business...

What do you think?

The female is definitely dominant over male.

perhaps a male addition would better suit then. :laugh:

I'd be going with a baby puppy too.

Yes I agree. :rofl:

Will you be desexing one or the other? bitches in season can be a lot of hassle, especially with an entire male nearby adding to the trouble.

The male is desexed. I would consider getting the female desexed also - just hadn't needed to thus far as where we live there is no chance of her being mated.

:laugh: I love that you are open to discussion!

Having two entire dogs can be a handful and can go very wrong very quickly.

An entire bitch in particular of your breed can become dreadfully bitchy in season.

If you're not planning on showing her, or sitting the exam to breed her, I would desex now.

:rofl:

The male is desexed. I would consider getting the female desexed also - just hadn't needed to thus far as where we live there is no chance of her being mated.

She's 6 now I see? It seems you have managed her seasons very well but my recommendation would be that you give serious thought now to having her desexed. She's getting older, the risk of pyometra increases with each season...

Considering many feel that a male puppy would be the better gender to add to your pack then there's another reason to have her spayed...

:laugh:

ETA: I think it's really great that you're seeking advice regarding age/sex to help ensure it all goes smoothly.

Edited by Aziah

It's actually far better for the health of your bitch if she is desexed. Entire females are more prone to pyometra and mammary cancer. Every season that they have makes them more prone and batters the uterus even more.

:thumbsup: I love that you are open to discussion!

Having two entire dogs can be a handful and can go very wrong very quickly.

An entire bitch in particular of your breed can become dreadfully bitchy in season.

If you're not planning on showing her, or sitting the exam to breed her, I would desex now.

:)

Thanks parkeyre - it's nice to be able to get some good advice :)

I am definitely not planning on breeding or showing her - she is not a pedigree and was bought back before I knew better :mad

She is a gorgeous gorgeous girl - so if I can reduce her risk of disease I will :)