Where Can I Buy A Dominant Dog Collar In Brisbane

Tilly

I have them but don't use them for the manner in which they are used as a dominant dog collar.

We just them just the same as you would a check chain that sits behind the ears but these 'Volhard/Snap Around' collars stay in place so you don't have to worry about re-adjusting the collar.

If someone needs to use a dominant dog collar to knock the breath out of a dog they should be seeing a Behaviourist i.m.o.

I have them but don't use them for the manner in which they are used as a dominant dog collar.

We just them just the same as you would a check chain that sits behind the ears but these 'Volhard/Snap Around' collars stay in place so you don't have to worry about re-adjusting the collar.

If someone needs to use a dominant dog collar to knock the breath out of a dog they should be seeing a Behaviourist i.m.o.

Agreed! I was going to purchase one for Shyla but only so that my small corrections made more of an impression on her and I didn't have to be constantly tugging and correcting on a choker chain that sits too low (cos it has to go over the head to get onto the neck, so on the neck it's looser than I'd like)

No dog should be hung from its neck until it loses consciousness. Period.

Personally, I'd rather see a dog humanely PTS than treated in a way that would be very distressing to the dog and risks terrible permanent damage.

I would never say never. Who knows what situation could crop up in an emergency, if I had to choke a dog to stop it from attacking a person or another dog I would do so, absolutely.

In an emergency where it was to prevent injury to other dogs or people, sure, do what you need to do to make the situation safe with the minimal amount of distress caused to the animal as possible.

However.. to take a dog and knowingly place it in a situation where the very intention is to make it bite and then punish it in such a way?

There is a very good description on how they are used (including pics) on the Leerburg site

http://leerburg.com/746.htm

Also sounds like a great way to hurt your dog and do some lasting damage..

I heel the dog to this location and attach the line to the dominant dog collar. At that point I will do something that causes the dog to attack me. When he does I offer the arm with the hidden sleeve. When the dog is biting the arm the second handler will raise the dogs 4 feet off the ground. I remain totally calm and look the dog in the eye and tell him he will not bite me.

The dog stays there until he passes out. Then he is lowered to the ground and lies there until he regains consciousness. Then we start again. Usually these kind of dogs will only have to be hung 2 or 3 times and they quickly learn that you are a big person - the way they look at it is that you have the power to kill them at any time. This is a big big point in establishing dominance with dogs like this.

Taken directly from the page linked.

I'm afraid I'm with Bisart Dobes on this one; if you have to literally hang the dog until it passes out (just to prove to the dog what a clever, big person you are :rofl: ) in my opinion, you probably shouldn't have pets.

Yes, it does say that - right down the bottom of the page AFTER stating:

Dog owners with aggression problems need to determine if their dogs need a correction, or if they need to have their environment controlled, or if they simply need to redirected their dog away from the situation that triggers the aggression.

The fact is simply avoiding certain circumstances often solves a problem. If your dog is aggressive at the door, put the dog in a dog crate when company comes. If your dog is aggressive at certain dogs on your block, don't walk your dog by that house again.

But if you determine that your dog does need a correction you must first determine what level of correction to administer.

Putting a dominant dog collar dogs with a softer temperament and simply applying upward pressure with the leash (to take all slack out of the collar) is often enough to stop a dogs unwanted aggression. They quickly learn that you have complete control over them.

With more aggressive dogs (

on which other methods have failed) the handler should lift the dogs front feet off the ground for a few seconds until the dog settles down from his aggressive rage (see photo to left). This also tells the dog that you will not tolerate his behavior.

Most aggressive dogs only need to have their front feet lifted off the ground a few times to realize that you can take their air away when you want. This is not painful for the dog.

The paragraph that you have quoted above is under the title:

Extremely Handler Aggressive Dogs:

and goes on to state;

The vast majority of people cannot deal with truly handler aggressive dog. These are dogs that truly want to attack their owner with the intent of challenging the owner for rank within their family pack.

I can tell you what I do but I will insert a word of caution by saying that you should not try this at home unless you are working with a professional dog trainer who understands safety in this work. I also don't do this on a dog that has

not spent weeks going through my pack structure program.

From what I can understand that method is intended as a last resort for extremely handler aggressive dogs.

Not saying that I agree with hanging a dog until it passes out, just that you have taken it out of context.

Not saying that I agree with hanging a dog until it passes out, just that you have taken it out of context.

No, my original comment was directed at the site in question for promoting training methods of that sort. Chucking a disclaimer on the end is not going to stop some people from trying to copy his techniques with their own poor animals.

What I quoted was an example of what I believe to be very inappropriate methods of handling dogs and frankly, I wouldn't be linking to that site to demonstrate other things without also pointing out that the site in question contained advice that is questionable in terms of humane handling of animals and would probably get you charged with cruelty (and rightly so) if someone happened to get evidence of it.

There is a very good description on how they are used (including pics) on the Leerburg site

http://leerburg.com/746.htm

Also sounds like a great way to hurt your dog and do some lasting damage..

I heel the dog to this location and attach the line to the dominant dog collar. At that point I will do something that causes the dog to attack me. When he does I offer the arm with the hidden sleeve. When the dog is biting the arm the second handler will raise the dogs 4 feet off the ground. I remain totally calm and look the dog in the eye and tell him he will not bite me.

The dog stays there until he passes out. Then he is lowered to the ground and lies there until he regains consciousness. Then we start again. Usually these kind of dogs will only have to be hung 2 or 3 times and they quickly learn that you are a big person - the way they look at it is that you have the power to kill them at any time. This is a big big point in establishing dominance with dogs like this.

Taken directly from the page linked.

I'm afraid I'm with Bisart Dobes on this one; if you have to literally hang the dog until it passes out (just to prove to the dog what a clever, big person you are :scared: ) in my opinion, you probably shouldn't have pets.

If you do happen to have a dog though that wants nothing more in life than to bite their own handler, and then the only way to stop it trying to kill you is to prove that you can kill them... well I don't know but I'm just not sure that that dog has a whole lot to offer. I know some people don't want to give up on their dogs no matter what, but I wonder how much that dog would contribute to society and just as a companion even. And how rehabilitated is it really after that? So your dog no longer tries to attack for the sole reason that it knows you will kill it? "the way they look at it is that you have the power to kill them at any time. This is a big big point in establishing dominance with dogs like this" Personally I would feel like I'd have to be constantly on guard :s

I own a dominant breed and whilst I believe it's essential to be dominant over the dog, I don't believe that a mentally healthy dog is only holding back because they're worried you might hurt them... Unless fear is involved, I would question how successful you can really be with a dog that genuinely would be ok with badly hurting or even killing its other pack members - my dog just really doesn't want to be alone.

I know some people don't want to give up on their dogs no matter what, but I wonder how much that dog would contribute to society and just as a companion even. And how rehabilitated is it really after that?

Good question. A strong enough punishment can have a very powerful suppressive effect on a behaviour. There are several problems here though, you may have stopped the dog biting you in one situation, but what about other situations? (Conversely, it may knock out a bunch of behaviours you do want) Also, how long will this effect last? How can you responsibly demonstrate that the dog is safe?

I would want to know that the dog was going to an appropriate home.

Edited by Aidan2