Runt Pup Of Litter Dies At 6 Weeks

wintacove

Just got a phone call from a new cavalier breeder in NSW that is at a lose and i have never had it happen to me so i can't give her answers hope someone else can. have told her to do an autopsy but here is the scenario

she had a healthy litter of 3 pups, 6 weeks ago, but after 2 days after birth she noticed that one little boy pup wasn't doing well, always looked dehydrated, but was putting on weight but still had that wrinkled skin look. After 2 weeks he had picked up and looked liked he was going to survive.. Now after opening his eyes and getting better by the day, he still didn't grow much, but was happy and healthy.

Once this little boy was up and running around he looked fine, but was still way too small... He was eating solid food like the other 2 bubs in the litter but never grew still, he was still as small as a 3 week old puppy, that being after he turned 5 weeks. Now today this little guy decided that he didn't want to feed anymore and just give up, he died tonight in his sleep after her taking him to the vet and they said it could be worms, but they were worried that it could be neurological and he could have something wrong inside or head wise.

Has anyone lost a pup at this age and if so did you get an answer to it, i am at a lose and can't give her reason, all i say is that he wan't to be.

Thoughts please so i can try and put her mind at ease.

Just a few questions???

Had this pup been wormed regular?

Had he had his vacc?

How long had he been eating solids for?

Was he prossesing his food properly and pooping well?

Sorry about all the questions but have know pups to die from alll the above at that age thats all.

l gather elimination could be the key to some answers

Ask for an autopsy. :)

Could be so many different things at this age especially considering his history. :thumbsup:

Could be something as simple as a bowel blockage or as complex as SM; worm burden, pituitary tumour, heart murmur - geez - just about anything! :mad

If she wants answers, get her to have the pup autopsied or else unfortunately, this experience has to go into the "sh** happens" box. :)

Edited by t-time

As usual you get another angle from me.

The pup was by all accounts a sick pup from birth, why the surprise it died.

I am sorry that the puppy died, nothing worse than to have this happen.

But as we say, if you breed enough for long enough you see it all, especially in the case of multiple births.

As others have said autopsy.

I agree, suggest that she get an autopsy done...

It could be anything but it has been suggested that often, puppies like that (slow at the get go and never really thrive) can have a heart issue, does your breed have heart defects as problem?

Just a few questions???

Had this pup been wormed regular?

Had he had his vacc?

How long had he been eating solids for?

Was he prossesing his food properly and pooping well?

Sorry about all the questions but have know pups to die from alll the above at that age thats all.

l gather elimination could be the key to some answers

Yes the pup had been wormed regularly, no he hadn't had his vacc yet, he had been eating solids for 2.5 weeks and was pooing properly prior to his dieing, but 3 days up until he died he had become quite loose with his poos.

I agree, suggest that she get an autopsy done...

It could be anything but it has been suggested that often, puppies like that (slow at the get go and never really thrive) can have a heart issue, does your breed have heart defects as problem?

Cavaliers are prone to have MVD heart problems, (murmors)

Well she just phoned to say that the pup had an autopsy and the findings were, twisted bowel, his heart was fine, but the vet said that the twisted bowel should have shown up earlier than this, also they found a tumor on the brain which had a blood clot around it which looks to have burst, so that is what killed it quickly. But i am still concerned that even if the pup did have a twisted bowel wouldn't it have died from this earlier.

As she is only new to breeding this has set her back quite alot and said that it is really turning her off ever breeding again. But i told her that we can't save every pup that is born, even though we do try, but these things are out of our hands and we just have to move on. All she need to know is that she did her best and be thankful that she does have 2 other healthy pups that are thriving.