Herding Talk Thread

Yell out if you need help with dog wrangling as I only have Hamish entered in 2 HT runs, otherwise I'm hoping to help out with stock handling and just watch the goings on. So probably will be able to be of some (minor, and non-experienced) assistance if needed!

Thanks PME!! I hope to be ok as I am travelling over with friends but I'm doing all the herding handling. They get to come along a day early and watch :) (and shove me in the direction of the right ring at the right time!)

If you can help with stock wrangling - grab the opportunity. It is an awesome learning experience.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good luck piper. Good luck keeping up too :laugh: I'm entered in the open trial the Wednesday before the Nationals.

Thanks. I wanted to get there to do that but can't get away from work until lunchtime Thursday.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. I'm in VIC and looking for some sort of trial calendar/entry forms for this year. The VHA website doesn't have anything for 2014 and the facebook page lists a trial coming up in April at KCC but I can't find an entry form. Or I am a moron and would it be in my dogs magazine (will have to find it lol).

I've not done any trials before and just looking to get the instinct one done and myself and my dog are registered with dogs victoria. Can you only do an instinct test at your first trial? I've just downloaded the ankc rules for herding so will have some fun reading to do this weekend! :)

Edited by KelpieBess

Hi there. I'm in VIC and looking for some sort of trial calendar/entry forms for this year. The VHA website doesn't have anything for 2014 and the facebook page lists a trial coming up in April at KCC but I can't find an entry form. Or I am a moron and would it be in my dogs magazine (will have to find it lol).

I've not done any trials before and just looking to get the instinct one done and myself and my dog are registered with dogs victoria. Can you only do an instinct test at your first trial? I've just downloaded the ankc rules for herding so will have some fun reading to do this weekend! :)

Try here http://www.vicdog.com/trials.htm Trial schedules are not usually in the Dogs Vic magazine.

VHA trial is at KCC Park on April 5 and 6, tests will be on the Sunday. Entries close Sunday! Schedule is on the website above. Entry forms are here http://www.dogsvictoria.org.au/MembersArea/PerformanceEntryForm.aspx

You can enter instinct and herding test (HT) or instinct and pre-trial (PT) at the same trial, just need to do your instinct cert first, the trials are usually set up this way anyway. HT is optional. You need one instinct cert, and two passes for HT and/or PT.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I was just a bit excited at the BC Nationals because Hamish got the Merit Award in HT from the judges!!! I wasn't expecting that!

There was some absolutely brilliant herding to watch and I became even more inspired to keep up with this sport and get my boy working to the absolute best of his ability/instinct!

piper did an absolute dream run and it was beautiful to watch!! well done (and nice to finally meet you!)!!

The nationals were great and there was some fantastic work. I am so annoyed I couldn't get out to the B Course and see the perfect score gained on Advanced B.

I had mixed results with my guys. Cinna has had a loss of confidence and started to stress part way through her PT run so I pulled her out.

Jazz is in season so had to run at the end of each section of the trial when the area was no longer required. A course ducks were being held in an off leash running area and she was incredibly distracted then I made things worse and got all confused with the reversed course and confused her and it all went downhill so we withdrew. Had a few minutes break and tried again but just couldn't get it together. She had her Inter A sheep run next and after a ratty start she got it together and got her first Intermediate pass on sheep with an 84. Her last run, started b ducks was the next day. I have no experience with started B ducks and made a mess of it - it was a good lesson in where not to stand! Worked it out at the first gate and pulled it back together and ended up with a nice 82 for her first pass there.

The star of the trial was Aretha. She is Jazz's daughter from her first litter and lives with my very good friend who has trained her to PT but then got too stressed so asked me to take over. I have hardly trained her but we figured we may as well enter her int he Nationals as we would all be there. Before I went through the gate I warned her if she was not working well I would be pulling her out. While walking the course with the judge I realised I had never worked an obstacle with her. Not the ideal way to be going into a trial! Well she blew me away with some lovely lovely work and an 87. For our second run I said not to expect it to go as well as the first run. Well you could have blown me away when I found we had scored 98!! She did an amazing job of reading the stock and was so responsive, not at all like the dog I have trained before. We ended up RUHIT behind the very worthy winner of HIT - Ann Moy's Jinnie.

Congrats to both of you! Merit award is a nice touch PME - onwards and upwards :-)

Well done on your first Inter pass piper, and started B ducks. And a 98 with Aretha is amazing!

Glad you weren't at the trial on Wed - worst runs I've had for a while with Cash just losing all semblance of obedience thanks to exciting sheep and his girlfriend being in season. I did way too much shouting to no avail :o

Congrats to both of you! Merit award is a nice touch PME - onwards and upwards :-)

Well done on your first Inter pass piper, and started B ducks. And a 98 with Aretha is amazing!

Glad you weren't at the trial on Wed - worst runs I've had for a while with Cash just losing all semblance of obedience thanks to exciting sheep and his girlfriend being in season. I did way too much shouting to no avail :o

Ah well, Jazz there in season would not have helped your cause! LOL I am just impressed she pulled it back together - our 2 advanced duck runs were a total disaster. A combination of her being in season and me. First part of her Inter run was crap too but once we got them in the Y it all came together, thankfully. We lost it a little bit at the turn to the Centreline Gates as well - the draw in that corner i ver strong as you well know so they shot off down there and it was a bit shaky getting them back online and into the gap. I found the sheep drove far better than I was expecting and I was pleasantly surprised.

Glad the sheep were ok. The ones we had on Wednesday didn't drive at all! Didn't help that I was the first and third competitor, lol.

Yes, I heard they had been difficult and was expecting issues so was pleasantly surprised. They were on the lighter side, but the suits me anyway :) And Ann got a perfect 100 from advanced B, so they must have been ok out there as well.

Novice A duck pass for Cash today. I believe this is the first pass in Novice nationwide. It was certainly the first run and pass in Vic (on any course/stock type).

Bombed out a bit in Advanced A sheep BUT got a really nice lift/fetch and a good first half. As in I didn't yell at him for the first half! That was a vast improvement on the last trial :o It all fell down on the cross drive - got the turn and got them through the panels but then I could not convince him to walk up on the heads, he kept sliding off clockwise and turning the sheep off course. So guess what we will be working on for the next few weeks!

Great job superminty!!! There's always something that needs some work isn't there! For my two there is a lot more tha yours - for instance I just need Kenz to realise that it all will be ok and she is allowed to work the sheep!

What are they running tomorrow? If I have time I might pop over for a look!

Novice A duck pass for Cash today. I believe this is the first pass in Novice nationwide. It was certainly the first run and pass in Vic (on any course/stock type).

Bombed out a bit in Advanced A sheep BUT got a really nice lift/fetch and a good first half. As in I didn't yell at him for the first half! That was a vast improvement on the last trial :o It all fell down on the cross drive - got the turn and got them through the panels but then I could not convince him to walk up on the heads, he kept sliding off clockwise and turning the sheep off course. So guess what we will be working on for the next few weeks!

You and Cash did some superb work yesterday SM. Beautiful to watch :)

Well done with Cash.

There was a trial in NEW yesterday and I read at least 1 person got a pass in novice but on sheep. I had planned to enter with Jazz but then she got an inter pass so can't do that now.

• 3 weeks later...

So we are off to our next herding trial in the morning!! Kenzie has been entered in 2 HT runs and I've entered Hamish in 2 PT runs. We haven't done PT even in training, but I"m sure we'll be fine!! Hopefully he can pass them, that would be nice!! Kenz shouldn't have too many issues with her HT's but we'll see what she decides to do tomorrow!! She's a funny girl she does a lot better when she has a real job to do, she will probably be quite nice to work with in Started, we'll get to that eventually! Hamish well he just wants sheep!! I think if I bought him sheep for Chrismas it would be the bestest thing ever in the world!!! I can't wait to get him trialling in the real trials!!

Thanks piper!!

So now Kenzie has her HT and Hamish has his PT!! I think we will trial in PT for a little bit to try and get him a bit ccalmer and more focussed, he has a few crazy's when he first goes in and I'd like that to settle a bit. But he got some really nice compliments from those who were watching about how he moved and worked in his 2nd run (which was really good I think!).

Well done on your passes PME.

Cash had a 50/50 weekend - each class he was entered in, he got one pass, and was retired on or before the outrun on the other. He was a wee bit obnoxious! But did manage to finish off his started A cattle title, get a pass towards his championship with a nice advanced A pass and got his first inter B ducks pass. Those all added up to give him the most versatile over three stock types award. He was then a right tool setting sheep for B course, ha ha. Left his brain somewhere in the trial ring I think.