Switching Breeds

Bubitty

My family dogs growing up were boxers and my parents still have one, and I always thought a boxer would be my first "own" dog. I researched and met breeders, and then finally decided a boxer was a bit too high-energy for for my current lifestyle. Further research led me to the Finnish Lapphund, which is...quite different. I'd never particularly wanted a long coated breed, but I've found it easier in a lot of ways. The lappie needs a brush every now and then, but I don't find many hairs around the house. The boxers all left a constant supply of short hairs that were difficult to remove on carpet, chairs, and clothes.

Their behaviour is quite different, too - the boxers, particularly the boys, have been smart enough to train, but boofheads who don't seem to think things through. If it was fun, they were in, no matter what, although our girl was a bit more of a thinker than the boys. In contrast, I can always see the wheels turning in my lappie's head as she thinks about things, and she is quicker at picking up new tricks. She is much more willing to please than any of the boxers, who all liked a cuddle but didn't have anywhere near as soft a nature. She is high in energy, but it seems to be displayed in different ways and has more outlets - training and outings both work as energy outlets for her even if she doesn't get a big walk, but the boxers still needed lots of physical exercise. Puppy-raising has been quite a contrast because of the different nature.

I love the bully breeds, but I'm not sure I'd go back. I've found a new love! Maybe one day I'll get another brindle boxer girl, though.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only ever had X-breeds, but I am definitely a kelpie girl...I grew up with a kelpie X then when she passed away :thumbsup: we got Jessie, a stumpy tailed cattle dog X. I do love her and she is treated very well, but in some ways she just isn't really my type of dog. It took me a lot longer to bond with Jessie than it did with my next dog Tilly, a kelpie X coolie (X who knows what :provoke: ) . My brother has a purebred kelpie and I love him to bits too.

I don't think i'll be switching breeds anytime soon!