Switching Breeds

Bubitty

There are so many many breeds that I love but I know deep down that I probably will never switch breeds as I find the goldens are so very predictable and suited to my life style and my dog raising style.

But I am really curious to hear about the experiences of anyone who has switched breeds. What made you want to take on a new breed? Was it a very different experience e to raising your initial breed? Do you now have a preference between the breeds?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After three poodles, I was keen to show another dog but didn’t want to contend with poodle show coat. I wanted an elegant, athletic breed without the between shows and show day work of a poodle.

FHRP had a lovely Whippet named Herbie (whom I adore) and I had happy memories of Whippets that belonged to childhood friends. So a Whippet became the breed of choice. With the assistance of a Herbie’s breeder, I found Howie.

Howie’s different to the poodles – but not in a bad way. Poodles live and breathe to be with you – Howie is happy in his own company. The poodles follow me from room to room. Howie checks in but is happy to take himself out for a sunbake or to bed if he’s tired. The Poodles aren’t that interested in dogs other than poodles. Howie loves all dogs and loves to play.

He’s a different dog to train. You’ve got to make it super fun and he switches off if he’s not enjoying himself. The WIFM principle is the basis of the training I do with him. I’m in awe of his speed and athleticism – I love to watch him run.

I’m keen to continue showing so next dog (some years off yet) will be another Whippet. That said, I can’t imagine life without a poodle so my guess is these will be the two breeds I will stick with from now on.

I think more than one breed is a lot of fun - the contrasts make for interesting times. I reckon dog breeds are like icecream - its fun to sample lots of flavours but there's probably always going to be one or two absolute favourites.

Edited by poodlefan

When I grew up our family dogs were always chihuahuas or chihuahua crosses. I had friends with border collies and always wanted one but I wasn't allowed a bigger dog when living with my parents. When I met my husband a love of BCs is one of the first things we had in common. His family dog that he will always remember was a BC. When we first got married our circumstances only allowed a smaller dog but we still wanted a BC one day. We fostered one for a while and loved him but had to give him up. So after that we started the search and got our first BC. I don't think I will ever go without a BC now, although like you, there are a lot of other breeds I also really like. If only I was a billionaire...

I call Chester my potato chip because he makes me want more! I can't though :shrug:

Guest belgian.blue

I grew up with two English Pointers and a Dalmatian, so short hair breeds. I was ready to get my own dog and it was too raw for me to get another Pointer so went in search of a new breed but I had no idea what I wanted.

Knew I didn't want another short coat breed, but didn't want something that was going to shed everywhere.

Had a vision of a medium coated, largish black dog. Then I stumbled across the Belgian Shepherd, never heard of this breed and not many others had either.

Ivy is perfect and she's my soul mate :shrug:

After having Ivy two a couple of years my heart was ready to return to the English Pointer, but in a goofy male version.

Don't think I'd ever switch breeds again, I adore Belgians and Pointers. Both also don't shed much either.

I started off with a BYB SPCA reject Dobermann, extremely dog aggressive but loved humans, then decided to get a pedigree Dobermann to show, who was just plain nutty to tell you the truth. After those two, who were both wonderful pets in their own way, I decided I needed a less active and needy breed so bought a pedigree Bull Terrier bitch to show.

After the two dobies, the bully was bliss and a few more followed. I now have kinda swapped again to mini bulls which I think are even nicer than Bull Terriers. I can fit more on the bed and they take up less room!

Sometimes people admire a breed from afar but once they have one realise that the breed really doesn't suit them for whatever reason. I am glad that I decided not to stay with the dobies as they are a breed that need a lot of mental and physical exercise to keep them sane, plus someone home 24/7 so they don't bark the neighbourhood down.

Bully's are content to lay around and snore till its time for action or food. They are also more mentally stable in my opinion.

I haven't switched yet but the next dog in line here will be a Finnish Lapphund.

I've been in the husky puppy mode for the past 16 months. Our first husky bitch passed away in a road accident at 9 months and not long after we bought young Esky into our home

Although I love her to bits she can be very full on and sometimes very frustrating to train.

And she's a good husky. I've heard absolute nightmares about huskies with inappropriately prepared owners.

The lappie fits both mine and my partners idea of the ideal dog and all the ones I've met have just made me want one more :shrug:

We had two Sibes, then I stumbled across Jap Spitz and fell in love with the breed. I liked that the JS still has the big Spitz personality, but bonds more closely with it's owner - my Sibes are are very independant. The JS have stolen my heart and I don't think I will ever be without one.

My old boy was a stafford, now I have a mally. I loved my old boy, but my goals meant that I wanted a working dog this time.

They are similar in a few ways, I guess - high prey drive, short coat, athletic. But there are many more differences that I've had to adjust to.

The mally is more "wired". She's always on the go, she fidgets and paces when she has nothing to do, whereas my old boy had an off-switch and would relax. The mally is also much smarter, much more sensitive, less dog aggressive but also less affectionate to humans, and much, much louder. :shrug:

I still miss my old boy - if I were interested in a second dog just for a pet, I would probably get a stafford.

We always had small dogs when I was a child, dachshunds, and later a beagle (and a weird looking heinz 57 dog that my mother picked up as a stray :shrug: ). My first partner was into GSDs in a big way, so by default I became a GSD person too. Much later, I became involved in greyhounds, and today they remain my breed of choice for many reasons (I now have 4 :crazy::crazy: ). I can't imagine that I won't always have at least one greyhound in my life, but somewhere down the track I would still love to have another dachshund as well. Plus a Xolo, of course! :):crazy:

Hmmm... As I grew up, Mum bred and showed (which i helped with) Shih Tzu. In my teen years, she added danes.

I moved out of home, and due to certain circumstances, I had to place my gorgeous shih tzu in a home, broke my heart, but I just couldnt have a dog due to living circumstances. When my now Hubby and I first bought our new home about 2 yrs later, we found a dog - Roxy a staffy x ridgy and no-one claimed her, and she stayed...

After looking after a then friends BC, and being on her waiting list for a puppy, we noticed Roxy was very lonely (as she had had a companion for 8 weeks) and hubby decided as we didnt know how long the BC puppy would be, that he wanted a Westie. As it happened, I rang a friend of mine on the thursday and she had a litter due that weekend, and our boy Cruise was born that saturday. When Cruise passed, I had to have another little white dog join our family.

Someday I will have another Tzu, as they really are my heart breed, but I just dont have time for the coat at the moment, and I would want to show it too.

I like PF's comment "I reckon dog breeds are like icecream - its fun to sample lots of flavours but there's probably always going to be one or two absolute favourites."

My first dog was a Miniature Poodle. She was the right dog for me at that time. Very loyal and intelligent.

When we moved here, we moved into Dobes. Both our female Dobes have been real gems. Although Kaisie was quite the idiot when she arived, we managed to calm her and she has become so totally laid back it's not funny - for a Dobe, that is. :shrug:

The male one we had was odd in the head and had "wheels disese", so I'm biased towards the females. And if we got another, I'd be looking at one from her breeding background.

I wouldn't get a Dobe if I didn't have the space for them to run like we have here. I'm sure they would (and do) go crazy without room to run. They are lovely dogs. I just love to watch them run. :crazy:

The Weimaraner we had was a nice dog - but not right for us. She watched the burglars come in and she watched the burglars go out - several times.

So yeh, back to Dobes. :crazy:

We had a Lab cross as our first dog as kids... she still has a huge chunk of my heart as she was one of the best dogs ever...

Our next dog had some Lab in him somewhere apparently - he was the "farm" pet dog...

When I left home, my first dog looked like a bearded collie/BC cross, but her mum was a Goldie...

Then I found my very first Rotti... Woosie was my soul mate - my total heart and soul - we bonded in ways one only ever dreams of. 6 more Rotties have come and gone, and I adore the breed, but there will only ever be one Woosie...

I now have a Rotti/Pittie and a crazy blonde Lab - and I foster all sorts of pups for rescue.

I suppose you could just call me a "dog whore" - I'll take them ALL thanks... lol!

Deep down though, I reckon Rotties are my fave of all...

T.

I have always had large breeds mainly GSD's and Great Danes then we got Jake our CASD (RIP My darling boy), we will never have another breed and will be waiting for probably a long time for a pup as they are a rare breed. He was perfect for our home and lifestyle, we lost him 3 weeks ago and already the foxes have started coming back. My heart now lies with these big boofy, aloof, depressed looking chunks of absolute loyalty :hug:

I grew up with labs and lab crosses mainly, kara a badly bred byb yellow lab was my best friend growing up the oldest soul from a pup, I had her in my life from when I was 6 until 16 and I was shocked and blessed she lived that long, she chose me from the day she came home and we were the light in each others eyes, she was so maternal she got milk and fortered a litter of JRT puppies that my aunties dog didnt want. RIP beautiful girl.

Labs are my heart breed but after a few bad experiences I decided I needed something different and that something different ended up being Poodles.

I have a toy and a standard, Fez is a breeze and such a happy little chappy and so easy, Julie (though I got her as a 2yr old hoping to have a settled adult) is still more of a lunatic then fez, but she is still a great girl and only has eyes for my partner our kids and I. Fez loves everyone.

As I plan on adding skin baby no 3 in about 2 yrs I am waiting until that child is a lil older before adding a lab again. Ide love another yellow but as I dont want to feel like im trying to replace Kara I will prob get a boy, as well as I dont want to have two large Bitches running together. I think I will always have poodles now though, they are happy as long as they have you.

I have always had crossbreeds or different breeds. We have had Great Danes, Greyhound, Kelpie, Border Collie cross, Labrador cross, Dalmatian, and fostered lots of others. The Great Dane is the only breed I've owned (by choice) more than once. I enjoy owning different breeds but I have to say that after owning Pia, I will always have at least one Greyhound. :hug: I think fostering has been great because its given me a taste of lots of different breeds and helped me decide what I like (and what I definitely DON'T like!). I have found Pia to be very different to any other breed I've owned and I just love her. :D

Edited by Kirty

Have always had Rotties and Bearded Collies. Never been a fan of our Beardies too much to be honest, as they are far too perky and hairy for my liking. They are my mums heart breed. I have always loved the Rotties, though it has never been the same for me since my girl died about 9 years ago. I just haven't loved any Rotty as much as her, so I knew I couldn't get another one just yet. I have only had my Akita boy since Tuesday, but already I love him to bits. I love how he constantly looks up at me for approval, and how calm he is, even for a puppy. He loves trotting around the house after us, but spends most of the day sleeping. He's very responsive as well. Though when he wants to be stubborn and cheeky, he will be. Like when it's bedtime he gets half way up to his crate, then races in the other direction looking back at me with a huge grin on his face. Little bugger :hug:

After having poodles for quite a few years I decided Iwould like something different, I have admired afghans for years but never thought I would get to own one.

Shilo became available and we took her on. She is absolute heaven, I am used to having dogs all over me 24/7 always demanding and always there. Shilo loves a cuddle and will sleep with us sometimes but she is not demanding and is quite happy with a short walk.

I think my two perfect dogs are poodles and afghans they also compliment each other very well.

We also have a little (silky x lhasa?) and he is the most gorgeous dog I have ever met, I think he is both mine and my husbands heart dog.

I think I've had the opposite ends of the spectrum and love them all!

Grew up with working kelpies, Australian cattle dogs and a beagle. My ACD was my first obedience/agility dog and after 17 years of loyalty I looked for a different type of dog so as not to compare. Yep, a Dalmatian :) He is awesome and I would have another in a heartbeat but wanted a gundog for retrieving so went with a working springer - always wanted a spaniel as a kid and 2 weeks in she is all I could have wished for :laugh: I like a challenge so will probably delve into other breeds one day.