China Police Dog Technical Competition 2004

koalathebear

I'm still watching it myself.

It's interesting although I find it weird that the Chinese competitions have to have synchronised dog trialling ... The 'dancing' is just strange and I'm not sure why a dog would need to learn how to run over people's backs. :hug:

Part 1 has bitework and weird choreography ..

Part 2 has some fairly impressive sit-stays.

Part 3 has some group stands and drops - and the group crawl is interesting, as are the dogs leaping over one another and under one another! can't believe how fast and sleek they are.

pt 1

pt 2

pt 3

pt 4

pt 5

Is it usual for Malinois to be so thin though?

Edited by koalathebear

Only watched Part 1 and Part 2.

I'm not overly impressed. I see far finer work from our Schutzhund trained dogs than in those trials. The dogs don't seem all that tuned into nor interested in their handlers and as far as heeling is concerned ..... well, I can get a dog to heel by yanking it back and pulling it around on the end of the lead too.

Hope Parts 3 onwards get better.

But for now, for me ..... It's sleep time :hug:.

ETA: I wouldn't mind being able to proof some stay work with distractions such as their performance though :D.

Edited by Erny

I'm not overly impressed. I see far finer work from our Schutzhund trained dogs than in those trials. The dogs don't seem all that tuned into nor interested in their handlers and as far as heeling is concerned ..... well, I can get a dog to heel by yanking it back and pulling it around on the end of the lead too.

I noticed the bit about focus in the earlier clips, too. Clips 3 and 4 have more 'tricks' so you can see the dogs focussing more on the handlers. Not everyone's cup of tea of course but I think it's interesting to see.

malinois are meant to be a fine boned medium sized dog. We're too used to seeing some over sized, well fed specimens here in the west. Some of the dogs look like GSD and GSD x Malinois.

This looks more like the opening/closing display for the comp then the actual comp itself. The first one had 1500 entrants from all over china in 2000.

as for heelwork, if my operational dog doesnt plaster its face to my leg staring at me I wouldnt care. It's more important it has its mind on the job then perform a trick.

malinois are meant to be a fine boned medium sized dog. We're too used to seeing some over sized, well fed specimens here in the west. Some of the dogs look like GSD and GSD x Malinois.

Thanks for the info. I haven't had much experience with Malinois and was quite startled to see how incredibly fast and sleek they were with their leaping.

as for heelwork, if my operational dog doesnt plaster its face to my leg staring at me I wouldnt care. It's more important it has its mind on the job then perform a trick.

I was wondering the same thing i.e. different criteria for working dogs to obedience trial dogs. Presumably for operational work, you want them to be looking forward and just checking back to handler regularly rather than constant staring into handler's face eg I noticed that for the 'crawl', the handlers got onto the ground with their dogs and crawled with them, which I assume might be what might happen in the field.

I also noticed that for the 'tricks' component, the dogs stared much more at their handlers for direction so presumably the focus is there, it's just that for different tasks, they focus on different things.

Someone mentioned in a post a bit higher up that there was yanking and a degree of roughness with the leash (although I wouldn't be able to get my dogs to heel nicely if I was rough with the leash). I did notice that quite a few handlers were patting their dogs between exercises and I didn't see any obvious mishandling and roughness. Given the performance and the results, can we assume that the dogs aren't mistreated/handled roughly for training? I know that some people say that Kelpies shut down with rough handling so am wondering if Malinois would be the same? I have no idea about police dog training methods.

For me I was just impressed that the dogs were able to perform so well with SUCH a high level of distraction and busy-ness around them.

Edited by koalathebear

A few working dogs worked up will strain on the leash, watch videos of some operational dogs out in the field and they're almost pulling their handlers over

they're on big thick leather collars so really it doesnt do that much to them. No dog you expect to rely on will comply with constant rough handling. You can't teach them. Those dogs are willing to work, high drive animals. Considering the cost of an operational animal treating it like dirt wont get you very far.

Lhok some could have been wolfdogs (which are GSD x wolf) but most are not

Edited by Nekhbet