Wanting To Own More Dogs Than Council Limit Of 2

heroeswit

My council has a limit of 2 dogs per property but I have been thinking of getting another once my pup is older. I want to go into the trailing side of things and maybe breeding (properly of course - registered) but I don't know how to go about it. A lot of people around here don't tell the council how many dogs they have but I want to do the right thing. I still live with my mum on a 1 hectare block so it could be set up to be super secure (though it is already fully fenced).

I wouldn't be getting another for probably up to 2 yrs but if I can maybe get things ready it might simplify the process and give me time to organise the property.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

We have 6 cats and 2 dogs. Our council allows 2 cats. One of our neighbours reported us to the council and they came out and inspected, and saw 3 of our cats, after we told them that we only have two. They also saw that we were working on cat proofing the fence, and told us that 'as long as you keep them on your property, we don't care, we don't want to know about it'.

We are also supposed to register our cats, and a week later received forms to register two cats, which we ignored, because we consider it a money grabbing scheme, and they are all microchipped anyway. We never heard back from them. So they know we have more than 2 cats and that they aren't registered, but they just don't care, because we keep them on our property.

That might not help you much, but just letting you know that as long as your dogs aren't a nuisance the council prolly won't care.

We have 6 cats and 2 dogs. Our council allows 2 cats. One of our neighbours reported us to the council and they came out and inspected, and saw 3 of our cats, after we told them that we only have two. They also saw that we were working on cat proofing the fence, and told us that 'as long as you keep them on your property, we don't care, we don't want to know about it'.

We are also supposed to register our cats, and a week later received forms to register two cats, which we ignored, because we consider it a money grabbing scheme, and they are all microchipped anyway. We never heard back from them. So they know we have more than 2 cats and that they aren't registered, but they just don't care, because we keep them on our property.

That might not help you much, but just letting you know that as long as your dogs aren't a nuisance the council prolly won't care.

Can't you get heavily fined for not registering your pet? :)

dwilds - contact your council and see if they allow more than 2 dogs with approval. I put in an application, paid an app fee, ranger came and did an inspection and I was approved. This was in WA though and all councils are different. Good luck. :)

I'm in QLD also and under the same laws. You can usually get special approval for a third dog. But I would make sure you get the approval before you get the dog because I have seen plenty of people ordered by Council to have their much loved third dog rehomed. This would be just too heart breaking. :)