New Victorian Animal Law To Ban Children From Buying Pets

MarieC

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/...6-1225943983968

CHILDREN will be banned from buying puppies and kittens - even goldfish - at pet stores under new laws to protect animals.

Under sweeping Victorian Government reforms, a re-elected Brumby Government would outlaw anyone under the age of 18 from buying animals.

Cats and dogs sold from pet stores will have to be desexed.

And lost or abandoned animals at shelters will get up to six weeks to find a new home.

At the moment dogs and cats on death row have 28 days to be adopted.

Agriculture Minister Joe Helper said rogue puppy farms would be stamped out, with the RSPCA to join councils in getting greater powers to shut them down and seize their animals.

Mr Helper has promised another $4 million over four years to the RSPCA to investigate and prosecute cruelty cases.

"Victorians have shown they will not tolerate animal cruelty and that is why a re-elected Brumby Labor Government will take these tough measures to protect animals and pets," Mr Helper said.

Children will be banned from buying animals at pet stores unless they have parental consent.

Currently, pet stores are governed by a non-enforceable code of conduct to restrict the sale of certain animals to specific ages.

Shop owners found to have sold an animal to a minor will face fines.

There are about one million dogs and 600,000 cats in Victoria, and it is understood about 15 per cent of animals bought each year come from pet shops.

Good stuff :laugh:

I don't think the part about children buying pets is going to have a great effect, I'd rather see banning of animal sales from pet stores in general. But I do love the part about animals in shelters being allowed up to 6 weeks to find a new home. However, I am happy to see that if they are going to allow dog/cat sales in pet stores, that they have to be desexed.

I don't think the part about children buying pets is going to have a great effect, I'd rather see banning of animal sales from pet stores in general. But I do love the part about animals in shelters being allowed up to 6 weeks to find a new home. However, I am happy to see that if they are going to allow dog/cat sales in pet stores, that they have to be desexed.

Agreed. Baby steps. This is at least a good foundation to build on IMO. There is now room to move towards the outright banning of pet sales in pet shops....it's a healthy start.

I would expect that kids buying a goldfish, but how many kids buy a $1500.00 Labraoddles from a pet shops? Kids must have a lot more money they days. Anyway I am all for kids not being allowed to buy animals.

A far as pet shops only being allowed to sell desexed dogs, I expect the part they left out is that all dogs being sold, by anyone will have to be desexed. Unless they are being sold to a registered breeder or a RSPCA inspected and approved puppy farm.

Edited by shortstep

A far as pet shops only being allowed to sell desexed dogs, I expect the part they left out is that all dogs being sold, by anyone will have to be desexed. Unless they are being sold to a registered breeder or a RSPCA inspected and approved puppy farm.

To be honest, aside from my reservations about juvenile desexing and wondering if Joe Q will be happy to pay more for a puppy because prices will surely increase to include the desexing costs (which is really only fair anyway - why should the breeder wear everything?), I don't see compulsory desexing as such a bad thing. I sell my puppies with a desexing agreement anyway, it just takes that step further.

To be honest, aside from my reservations about juvenile desexing and wondering if Joe Q will be happy to pay more for a puppy because prices will surely increase to include the desexing costs (which is really only fair anyway - why should the breeder wear everything?), I don't see compulsory desexing as such a bad thing. I sell my puppies with a desexing agreement anyway, it just takes that step further.

I sell (and have done so for 20 years) all my pups on desex contract too, so what. I have no desire to impose my beliefs on everyone else who breeds and places pups or on all people who buy a pup.

But I am not a watermellon, too far to the right as I am almost touching center.

Just longing for the good old days when you could buy a nice pup from a purebred dog breeder.

Edited by shortstep

Just longing for the good old days when you could buy a nice pup from a purebred dog breeder.

Maybe you're looking the wrong places then? Seems to me that people don't have problems buying a purebred dog from a nice breeder any given day of the week.

As for enforcing beliefs on others. My puppies and I'll enforce whatever I have to...or want to come to that. And if that means that I have to sell them desexed to stay within the law, then if I want to continue breeding dogs, I'll do it. As I said, I sell on a desex agreement anyway so a step further is nothing more than a little bit of added expense. Many other breeders ALREADY sell all companion puppies desexed and none of them seem to have any dramas. :(

Maybe you're looking the wrong places then? Seems to me that people don't have problems buying a purebred dog from a nice breeder any given day of the week.

As for enforcing beliefs on others. My puppies and I'll enforce whatever I have to...or want to come to that. And if that means that I have to sell them desexed to stay within the law, then if I want to continue breeding dogs, I'll do it. As I said, I sell on a desex agreement anyway so a step further is nothing more than a little bit of added expense. Many other breeders ALREADY sell all companion puppies desexed and none of them seem to have any dramas. :(

Yes I understand that you want to tell everyone else how to breed dogs and that your ideals are the ones we should all follow.

Only thing is, I do not think you understand. Your ideals and your purebred dogs are not going to gain favor. But go ahead, put your breeds neck in the noose.

I think I am going to lean to the left too. I am going to support the most modern thinking on ethical dog breeding. Spay neuter ethics are from the 90's and is old news now. I am going with McGreevy instead and push for the attack on purebred dog breeders.

How about a 'baby step' by banning inbreeding. New inbreeding laws that will make it illegal to produce a pup with a COI of more than 1% in 10 generations. Off course if your dogs/breed does make make it, too bad. No dramas to the progressive dog breeders.

A 'healthy start' by calling for severe government oversight of all ANKC breedings/litters. EBV by the Uni for all litters with adjusted insurance coverage on each pup to cover risk of all inherited disease for the life of the pup. Insurance to be paid prior to breeding the litter and EBV costs will be set by the Uni. All your dogs microchip so all health records from vets around the country poor into the Uni databank with your name on them. Should not be a drama to the most modern of dog breeders.

A 'good foundation', that producing a pup with structural extremes be made illegal. You know the list, no dangling ears, no droopy eyes, no long backs, no pug faces, no dwarf dogs, no round protruding eyes, no big heads, no white or mostly white dogs, no merle dogs, no dilutes, no giant dogs, no hairless, no toy dogs, no curly tails, no bob tails, the list goes on and on. Not a drama for dog breeders who can let go of the outdated Victorian idea of "breed" and greet the new world of dog breeding with an open mind.

So yes, go ahead put your breeds neck in the noose. While standing there waiting for the floor to drop away, don't forget to tell them you support desexing all dogs sold to Joe public, support no sales of dogs in pet shops and have never supported puppy mills.

BTW how do you feel about cross breeds and their cross breeders?...LOL.

Edited by shortstep

Gee....aggressive much?

I can tell you now that if dog breeding/owning is stopped, it won't be MY fault!!!!

The writing is already on the wall.....PETA is in the country and that is absolutely NOTHING to do with me!!

BTW, you appear to have an issue with me personally....if you're up to it, do drop me a PM and let me know how I managed to piss in your cornflakes!! :(

Gee....aggressive much?

I can tell you now that if dog breeding/owning is stopped, it won't be MY fault!!!!

The writing is already on the wall.....PETA is in the country and that is absolutely NOTHING to do with me!!

BTW, you appear to have an issue with me personally....if you're up to it, do drop me a PM and let me know how I managed to piss in your cornflakes!! :thumbsup:

Don't need a PM.

You or anyone who wants to give the government control over dog breeding, such as making a law that all dog breeders must sell their pups desexed unless sold to someone the government decides can have an intact dog is pissing in every dog breeders and dog owners cereal.

Wake up and think about what you are doing.

Be clear they are going after your purebred dogs first and you are helping them do it.

PETA counts on people who behave like you.

Edited by shortstep

Gee....aggressive much?

BTW, you appear to have an issue with me personally....if you're up to it, do drop me a PM and let me know how I managed to piss in your cornflakes!! :thumbsup:

Don't need a PM.

You or anyone who wants to give the government control over dog breeding, such as making a law that all dog breeders must sell their pups desexed unless sold to someone the government decides can have an intact dog is pissing in every dog breeders cereal.

Wake up and think about what you are doing.

Be clear they are going after your purebred dogs first and you are helping them do it.

PETA counts on people who behave like you.

Hey, I'M not giving them control over anything. They'll do it if they want to with little or no contribution from dog people. The taildocking ban was evidence of that. Not even scientific evidence would move them over that one!

I have said all along that the taildocking was the start of it.

I'm just thankful I don't live in Victoria and that not every State has such a draconian attitude.

To be honest, if you have made any efforts against the legislation and acted like you have acted towards me, I daresay you have contributed to the result. Your manner sux.....

Hey, I'M not giving them control over anything. They'll do it if they want to with little or no contribution from dog people. The taildocking ban was evidence of that. Not even scientific evidence would move them over that one!

I have said all along that the taildocking was the start of it.

I'm just thankful I don't live in Victoria and that not every State has such a draconian attitude.

To be honest, if you have made any efforts against the legislation and acted like you have acted towards me, I daresay you have contributed to the result. Your manner sux.....

Oh Ok now I get it. You are helpless to stop anything and the only thing you can do is to agree with taking away the breeders right to make decsions about their pups. Me however, in opposition to that idea, I have a bad attitude and it is all my fault they are succeeding in their mission.

Ok I see your point. How's this...

Yes! A good foundation, a baby step and a healthy start! Dog breeders should never have the power or right to make a decision on placing a pup intact, only the government should make that decsion!

Now I have the right approach, thanks for the tip.

Here is it, I knew I had heard about this in effect in the UK.

I assume in the UK and in Australia, it will still be legal for an under 18 year old to catch a fish in a lake river or ocean (provided he has a license), and it will still be legal for him to eat fish (at least on Fridays if he is Catholic), it will just be illegal for him to buy a pet fish that he wants to take home as a pet.

British granny fined for selling goldfishAAP

A British grandmother was heavily fined and electronically tagged for selling a goldfish to a child, triggering criticism on Wednesday of over-zealous use of animal protection laws.

Pet shop owner Joan Higgins, 66, was fined Stg1,000 ($A1,640) also given a dusk-to-dawn curfew for selling an animal to a person under the age of 16, but her 47-year-old son Mark - also ordered to do community service - slammed the ruling as a farce.

The pair were prosecuted after the local council sent a 14-year-old boy to buy a goldfish in a "sting" operation following reports that their shop, Majors Pets, had sold a gerbil to a teenager with learning difficulties.

The shopkeepers sold the fish without asking his age or how the fish would be cared for, prosecutors said.

"I think it's a farce and legal lunacy and I told the council that," said Mark Higgins, cited by the Daily Telegraph, noting that his mother was also given an electronic tag.

"What gets me so cross is that they put my Mum on a tag - she's nearly 70, for goodness sake... You would think they have better things to do with their time and money," he said.

But Trafford Council in northern England defended the decision to prosecute, noting that the gerbil sold to the teenager with learning difficulties - who was also 14 - was put in a cup of coffee.

"The evidence presented for this conviction clearly demonstrates that it is irresponsible to sell animals to those who are not old enough to look after them," said Iain Veitch, the council's head of public protection.

Higgins and her son pleaded guilty at Trafford Magistrates' Court to selling an animal to a person aged under 16. She was ordered to obey a curfew from 6pm to 7am for seven weeks because she is unfit for community service.

Her son, who manages the shop, was fined STG750 ($A1,230) and ordered to carry out 120 hours of unpaid community work at the end of eight months of legal action on Tuesday.

The story was highlighted by a number of British newspapers on Wednesday. The Daily Express said it made a "farce" of Britain's legal system, adding in a front-page headline: "Proof Britain really has gone mad."

Edited by shortstep